• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muttiah Muralitharan gets 605 Test wickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah I don't mind the selective stats that much when used on discussions and debates here on CW as long as they are qualified and done consistently (and taken with a grain of salt). But to say they aren't Test wickets is really pushing it Richard. Murali has 700 Test wickets end of story, whether you like it or not. It is something you're going to have to accept and come to terms with.
I've explained my stance on the issue. For me, you can't class something Test in part and not in other part. I'm perfectly obviously accepting that I$C$C official terms class Bangladesh games as Tests, but I don't have to do it myself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So it is really when it suits you isn't it?

I would suspect if they start doing well, you would say they need to do it over a longer period of time etc.
There's no way of putting it exactly, as I say. Sometime, it might need to be longer, eventually (presumably) the time will have come. "Suit" is a poor way to describe it, ideally Bangladesh would had been Test-class the moment they were promoted, that'd suit everyone best. I just want to see this nonsense continue for as short a time as possible, whether that be through demotion or them becoming Test-class.
What if they do well for 2 series, and then go crap again? Do you only consider the good series'?

Its a problem isn't it?
No, if it comes to a point where they're having 2 good series then 1 bad one, time after time, they're Test class, IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You didn't give me examples, you asked me what my opinions on certain players were, and what my opinion was on how many games England 'flattened' WIs recently.

How do you measure 'getting flattened'? What does it mean? Were England 'flattened' in Adelaide last winter? Depends on how you look at it doesn't it?
No, of course it doesn't. England weren't flattened - the only time last winter they were flattened was in the opening Test. They competed, if mostly (outside Adelaide) only briefly in the other 4.
So how can you set goals in your head of when it is acceptable for a team to be considered test-status ,or for that matter, when a team to become not good enough for test-status, when you cannot even quantify it yourself!!!

How can anyone take what you say seriously regarding B'deshs status, when you actually don't have a clue what being worthy of test status is?
I do have a clue, I just don't have exact terms, because exact terms are not something it's possible to give.

Swervy

International Captain
I do have a clue, I just don't have exact terms, because exact terms are not something it's possible to give.
so you don't really know do you?

Sounds like you won't say what the terms of B'deshs acceptance into RichardWorld Test arena just in case they perform in accordance to those rules and then you can't change your mind!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That'd make precisely 0 sense whatsoever. That'd mean I wanted Bangladesh not to be Test-class. How unutterably stupid would that be? I want Bangladesh to be Test-class, I hate having to bury around removing this and that to get the real picture of a player\team's performance.

However, I can't say exactly what it is that'll make them so. If and when it happens, you'll know if you're still posting on here.

Swervy

International Captain
That'd make precisely 0 sense whatsoever. That'd mean I wanted Bangladesh not to be Test-class. How unutterably stupid would that be? I want Bangladesh to be Test-class, I hate having to bury around removing this and that to get the real picture of a player\team's performance.

However, I can't say exactly what it is that'll make them so. If and when it happens, you'll know if you're still posting on here.
Richard, I think you would love for B'desh to have their Test status withdrawn, because it would vindicate everything you have said about them in the past.

As I say, you will say when you think they are Test class when it suits you, I think.

adharcric

International Coach
I've explained my stance on the issue. For me, you can't class something Test in part and not in other part. I'm perfectly obviously accepting that I$C$C official terms class Bangladesh games as Tests, but I don't have to do it myself.
Test status is assigned by the ICC, not by you or me. You can disregard matches against Bangladesh for statistical comparison but Murali still has 700 test wickets. Deal with it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, I think you would love for B'desh to have their Test status withdrawn, because it would vindicate everything you have said about them in the past.

As I say, you will say when you think they are Test class when it suits you, I think.
Everything I've said about them (and do to the current day) is already vindicated, they're not Test-class to date and no amount of anything will change that. I'd prefer them to become so right now, but having Test status taken by I$C$C (unlikely to implausible) would be a healthy alternative.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Test status is assigned by the ICC, not by you or me. You can disregard matches against Bangladesh for statistical comparison but Murali still has 700 test wickets. Deal with it.
How does it make sense to disregard things for certain things but not for others? It doesn't. I'm well aware of who assigns official Test status, but do we have to accept every I$C$C decision? No.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Ok, the Bangladesh top order are more capable batsman than most other countries 9,10,11.

I think that is generaly agreed.

So, if you're discounting completely the Bangladeshi wickets, surely it is only fair if you take all the 9,10,11 wickets he's taken out of his tally aswell.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That'd be a different comparison - taking top-order wickets only.

That's for a different thing.

As I say - it's simply a case of Test... not-Test. IMO, if you include Bangladesh you might just as well include Sussex and Nondescripts CC.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No its not. Sussex are not a test cricket nation or not even a country, Bangladesh are. This happens in every sport, but only in cricket we chose to make a brouhaha about it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's no more or less than the truth of both matters, and it counteracts perfectly what Sanz said.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies aren't a country, and Bangladesh shouldn't be a Test team.
They are as far as CRICKET and ICC is concerned, Sussex aren't.

Whether or not Bangladesh should be a test team doesn'e change the fact that They are a TEST team.It's not Murali's fault that Bangladesh play test.

Status
Not open for further replies.