• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali may now tour

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka star Muttiah Muralitharan may tour Australia next month despite earlier reluctance after his bowling action was questioned by Australia's Prime Minister, cricket officials said on Sunday.

Muralitharan softened his position during a reception held to honour him by Sri Lankan President Chandrika Kumaratunga in Colombo. Cabinet ministers and former and present Test players attended the ceremony at the president's palace.

According to the officials, who asked not to be identified, Muralitharan gave indications that he may now play in the two-Test series in Australia beginning next month.

Muralitharan, 32, became Test cricket's top wicket-taker when he overtook retired West Indian Courtney Walsh's world record of 519 during a series against Zimbabwe earlier this month.

However, his bowling action has been under scrutiny since the conclusion of a home series against Australia in March, when match referee Chris Broad reported the off spinner's doosra delivery to the International Cricket Council for a suspect action.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Muralitharan was later ordered to undergo independent observation of his bowling action, and after considering the findings, the ICC asked him to stop bowling the doosra.

Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapakse, an ardent cricket fan, is leading the campaign in Sri Lanka to support Muralitharan to convince the ICC to drop its ruling.

Muralitharan had said earlier that he was reluctant to tour Australia because he was offended by comments about him being a "chucker" by the Australian Prime Minister, John Howard.

AP

indecisive fool....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think he should tour, so we can give him a good and proper heckle when he bowls again, show him how pathetic he was for whinging last time around :D:D:D

should set up a meeting with John Howard as well :)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
age_master said:
i think he should tour, so we can give him a good and proper heckle when he bowls again, show him how pathetic he was for whinging last time around :D:D:D

I do remember how you lot all moaned when the barmy army were calling Brett Lee for no balling everytime he delivered a ball on the recent Ashes tour. Pot, Kettle, Black :)

Kenny

U19 Debutant
SpaceMonkey said:
I do remember how you lot all moaned when the barmy army were calling Brett Lee for no balling everytime he delivered a ball on the recent Ashes tour. Pot, Kettle, Black :)
The difference was, having talked to some 'Barmy army' members in perth - (and diamond blokes they were too) they knew that Lee wasn't chucking.

I hope Murali stays away, I really do. If he comes though, I hope our crowds give it to him good and proper. I know they will.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapakse, an ardent cricket fan, is leading the campaign in Sri Lanka to support Muralitharan to convince the ICC to drop its ruling.

Based on what?!

I notice he never lead a campaign against previous UWA findings...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:

Anyone else see the irony in calling Murali pathetic here?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
The difference was, having talked to some 'Barmy army' members in perth - (and diamond blokes they were too) they knew that Lee wasn't chucking.
And that's no difference, because unless he bowls the doosra he's not chucking.

Kenny said:
I hope Murali stays away, I really do. If he comes though, I hope our crowds give it to him good and proper. I know they will.
As previously stated, Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course he should tour - he would be an idiot not to.
If he chooses to use the Doosra, that's quite another matter, of course, but as far as touring, going head-to-head with Warney again, hell yeah.

No reason at all why the Aussie spectators shouldn't give him a verbal going-over either, provided it's in the 'spirit' of the game.

Not only that, if Murali's introduced to John Howard, he should smile politely and shake him warmly by the throat.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Murali is trying to do the Northern Territory Cricket Association and the North Queensland Cricket a big favour by publicly indicating he would tour. Their ticket sales would plummet if the anticipated Warne V Murali spin battle doesn't happen at both these Test Matches. Whether he finally does arrive in Australia is another matter.

I personally think he should tour. Otherwise he would be handing over his current standing as the leading wicket taker in Test Cricket go to Shane Warne.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
luckyeddie said:
Not only that, if Murali's introduced to John Howard, he should smile politely and shake him warmly by the throat.
Given the reception that Howard gave to Martin Johnson and his lads after winning the RWC, I don't think he would deign to meet a man who he feels is a chucker.

Little Johnny does not like it when Aussies are outshone ( so Murali getting to teh record ahead of Warne would not sit well with him)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
No reason at all why the Aussie spectators shouldn't give him a verbal going-over either, provided it's in the 'spirit' of the game.

Like McGrath is you mean?! ;)

kasra

Cricket Spectator
Kenny said:

yeah right! and the Aussie fans who don't the difference between a leg spin and off spin know Murali is chucking??

Get real mate! Enough of the bloody lies!

kasra

Cricket Spectator
age_master said:

There aren't too many people inside and outside Australia who wanna meet the most dishonest PM in the history of the country. (and I am not talking about the "chucking" comment)

chicane

State Captain
I don't think Murali will have problems with the Aussie crowd anymore, he must've learnt to ignore it by now. :cool:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Agree with Unlucky Ted, so long as its in the spirit of the game, he should be man enough to put up with it.

But I don't think he should have to put up with people throwing bottles, bottle tops, beer cans etc. while he is fielding, or shouting over him (sometimes with racial abuse, as has happened in the past) while he is fielding near the ropes. (Very similar to the racial abuse shouted at some soccer matches by soccer hooligans.)
I was in SriLanka when Australia played recently in Sri Lanka. Shane Warne got some jeering in his first couple of overs, but it all settled down thereafter.
That is nothing compared to what Murali has endured in tours to Oz.

Last edited:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
kasra said:
There aren't too many people inside and outside Australia who wanna meet the most dishonest PM in the history of the country. (and I am not talking about the "chucking" comment)
No offence, but I'm getting a bit tired of people on here speaking for the entire country, when really they are only voicing their own opinion..

Anyway, in regards to Murali, it was ridiculous IMO to not tour in the first place. A little bit childish I would have thought. If he cant put up with a bit of stick from the crowd, then he needs to grow up a bit. Its part of the game.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
kasra said:
Mate, I don't think we should convert this Cricket Web thread into a Political thread. Politicians may do the reverse of this, but as cricket fans we must rise above that. So lets keep this discussion on cricket issues.