• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Munaf Patel Update

Munaf Patel - Your Verdict

• Will be back with a 140kph bang!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Will be back but has lost his pace forever, still a good medium pacer though

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Was never quick, still a good medium pacer though

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Useless, an average, injury prone fool!

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope TA Sekhar and Prasad let him know that he has the gift to bowl fast without compromising accuracy and that he must make full use of his gift.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was just thinking - it seems Manraj will keep this thread alive throughout his CW time. :p

pup11

International Coach
I think enough has been said about Munaf already and if he can't improve on his fitness then he can only dream of playing international cricket.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Was just thinking - it seems Manraj will keep this thread alive throughout his CW time. :p
Lol, probably not; I just feel he has a lot of talent and that it is being wasted. He does not need to be chucking them down at 145kph to be effective, but he does need to be bowling around 135-140kph to maximise his effectiveness; he also has the rare gift that how fast he bowls does not affect his accuracy negatively either and it is a shame to see it wasted.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't disagree for a second, I've thought since I first saw Munaf that he had the potential to be the next in the line that goes through Kapil Dev and Srinath, and it's always a crying shame to see ability being wasted through things like injury and mismanagement.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't disagree for a second, I've thought since I first saw Munaf that he had the potential to be the next in the line that goes through Kapil Dev and Srinath, and it's always a crying shame to see ability being wasted through things like injury and mismanagement.
I hope he meets a bowling coach at an English county who can really point him in the right direction and also help his fitness too.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Is it only mismanagement though? Based solely on this, and a couple of other, interviews, so I might be being unfair, but he seems to be a rather immature person who has a sense of entitlement where his work ethic should be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One can manage oneself, y'know.

That mismanagement, I do indeed think, comes from both himself and his coaches.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This is just half of the problem in Indian cricket. The real talent lies in these small-towns, where life isn't easy, in a way. That breeds tougher cricketerss. However, they don't have the access to refine their skills that their big city counterparts do. The relatively weaker city players go to gyms, follow diets, (some) have biomechanists helping them, play in world-class (more or less) facilities and everything they need to become world class players, but the raw material isn't quite there. Not to mention, city cricketers seem very lazy (Jaffer, Munaf, Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble, Srinath, Nehra, Sehwag) in comparison to their small-town counterparts (Kaif, Raina, RP Singh, Joginder, Piyush Chawla, Praveen Kumar, Dhoni, Sreesanth).

We'd love to see an attack of Brett Lees for India, not because Bing's express pace, but also he's very effective even without the ball- athletic mover on the field, razor-sharp reflexes, strong throwing arm, and also a more-than-useful lower-order batsman. With a team full of Yuvraj and Lee clones, you'd have a World Champion team.

This is where an organisation like the National Cricket Academy is crucial. The country's top players (not the best-placed) should be put together after a conscious effort to scale the entire area of the country. The facilities in Bangalore are world-class, and the raw material is out there, everywhere in the country, not just the big metros. Put the two together and you'd have a breeding ground for quality cricketers.

R_D

International Debutant
This is just half of the problem in Indian cricket. The real talent lies in these small-towns, where life isn't easy, in a way. That breeds tougher cricketerss. However, they don't have the access to refine their skills that their big city counterparts do. The relatively weaker city players go to gyms, follow diets, (some) have biomechanists helping them, play in world-class (more or less) facilities and everything they need to become world class players, but the raw material isn't quite there. Not to mention, city cricketers seem very lazy (Jaffer, Munaf, Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble, Srinath, Nehra, Sehwag) in comparison to their small-town counterparts (Kaif, Raina, RP Singh, Joginder, Piyush Chawla, Praveen Kumar, Dhoni, Sreesanth).

We'd love to see an attack of Brett Lees for India, not because Bing's express pace, but also he's very effective even without the ball- athletic mover on the field, razor-sharp reflexes, strong throwing arm, and also a more-than-useful lower-order batsman. With a team full of Yuvraj and Lee clones, you'd have a World Champion team.

This is where an organisation like the National Cricket Academy is crucial. The country's top players (not the best-placed) should be put together after a conscious effort to scale the entire area of the country. The facilities in Bangalore are world-class, and the raw material is out there, everywhere in the country, not just the big metros. Put the two together and you'd have a breeding ground for quality cricketers.
Dravid lazy.. how did you figure that out.
Imho he's probaly one of the most hard working Indian cricketers.

jeevan

International 12th Man

Munaf is from the fringes too (a village in Gujarat, Ikhar, to be precise).

Kumbke & Dravid are not lazy by any stretch. Perhaps "lithe" is the adjective you meant.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid lazy.. how did you figure that out.
Imho he's probaly one of the most hard working Indian cricketers.
Munaf is from the fringes too (a village in Gujarat, Ikhar, to be precise).

Kumbke & Dravid are not lazy by any stretch. Perhaps "lithe" is the adjective you meant.
Maybe Dravid isn't lazy, but all these city cricketers in question, compared to their Australian/English/Protea/Kiwi counterparts, seem very lazy, soft and don't try too hard.

As for Munaf, he's one exception, but most small-town cricketers are more active than their big-city counterparts. Of course, fielding on hard, arid grounds in Gujarat is next-to-impossible.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yesterday
Today

How quick the media turns on Munaf! However, both keep the same purpose of showing how Munaf is not the bowler who started playing Test cricket and he certainly is bowling within himself. However, he is so very talented (even a mug can see that) that he needs to be nurtured, no matter how much of a pain he is.

However, I have to agree with his decision to bowl within himself due to the simple fact that he cannot go through a Test series or ODI series without getting injured. He should be the test of the NCA's fitness schemes.

R_D

International Debutant
Yesterday
Today

How quick the media turns on Munaf! However, both keep the same purpose of showing how Munaf is not the bowler who started playing Test cricket and he certainly is bowling within himself. However, he is so very talented (even a mug can see that) that he needs to be nurtured, no matter how much of a pain he is.

However, I have to agree with his decision to bowl within himself due to the simple fact that he cannot go through a Test series or ODI series without getting injured. He should be the test of the NCA's fitness schemes.
Munaf should really consider a career change if his current career could harm him.
if he's going to continue bowling with half arse efforts than he's useless.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Munaf update?

He's bowling like ****, and he went from India's premier fast bowler to crud. Every month another Indian fast bowler jumps ahead of him.

I hope he returns to his 2006 ways, but I doubt it. Doesn't seem to want it bad enough.