• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MS Dhoni vs Michael Bevan

Who was the greater ODI batsman?

• Total voters

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
Didn't even notice "average boosted by not outs" was brought into this

This thread is full of my triggers
But surely not outs are a good thing ? It's like making it out alive in a horror movie , I want players who don't have the tendency to be dismissed in a run chase , Dhoni and Bevan have won numerous matches staying undefeated.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But surely not outs are a good thing ? It's like making it out alive in a horror movie , I want players who don't have the tendency to be dismissed in a run chase , Dhoni and Bevan have won numerous matches staying undefeated.
Yes not outs are a good thing! I mean I get triggered when some clown comes along and says "aVeRaGe bOoStEd bY nOt oUts"

We had a whole thread dispelling the myth, I think ankitj was the instigator or at least heavily involved

Daemon

Dhoni used to be a candidate for top 3 at one point before he actively lost his team games for 4-5 years. Deserves to be marked down for that.

Daemon

Yes not outs are a good thing! I mean I get triggered when some clown comes along and says "aVeRaGe bOoStEd bY nOt oUts"

We had a whole thread dispelling the myth, I think ankitj was the instigator or at least heavily involved
Agreed. I actually have 6 not outs this season and average 100 odd since June. No doubt if I was allowed to complete those innings I would average more.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah and I was mildly embarrassed later going all math-y about it. The arguments advanced to say Bevan's average is overstated were superficially thorough but mathematically non-sense.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed. I actually have 6 not outs this season and average 100 odd since June. No doubt if I was allowed to complete those innings I would average more.
You would not average more. You would average same. Though your samples are too small so big margin of error.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Big Dhoni fan but two things that make it difficult for me to compare him with Bevan.

2007 - A rule mandating that the ball be changed after 34 overs was introduced
2011 - 2 new balls to be used during each Innings – one from each bowling end

Pre 2007 ODI cricket was a lot different for the batters. Reverse swing, more spin + issues with the visibility of the ball made chasing pretty tricky.

I would just go with Bevan just for the heck of it but too difficult to compare realistically.

cnerd123

likes this
Hah ok it’s not 100+ but across different leagues in my last 6 innings

15* (15)
11* (12)
2* (3)
22* (11)
24* (14)
And a friendly 8* (9)

82* (64)

Lets ignore the trash before my not out spree
Glad to see my batting videos have inspired you

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Since you seem determined to repeatedly shove this misunderstanding in everyone's face maybe we should set the record straight. Bevan's strike rate was perfectly fine for his era, and he actually struck at ~80 when batting first IIRC which is about as high as almost anyone at that time. His strike rate is lower batting second because he generally did exactly what it took to win games and didn't take unnecessary risks, which is what made him one of the most valuable, if not the most valuable, ODI cricketers of his time.

Bevan having a low SR was not an issue, trying to make it one is a clear indication that you didn't actually follow his career or matches he played in at all and are making assertions based off a complete misreading of stats
Klusener during the same era had the strike rate of almost 90. His S/R is good for his era argument is weak. His low strike rate was not an issue because he had men like Symonds to do the powerhitting.

Yes Bevan was a good batsman but that's not the question here. People are saying that he's the best finisher ever but he wasn't even the best finisher of his era.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Klusener during the same era had the strike rate of almost 90. His S/R is good for his era argument is weak. His low strike rate was not an issue because he had men like Symonds to do the powerhitting.

Yes Bevan was a good batsman but that's not the question here. People are saying that he's the best finisher ever but he wasn't even the best finisher of his era.
Bevan played over 70 odis before Symonds even debuted you dingus

TheJediBrah

It's even worse when you realise that Symonds didn't actually get any good until 2003, which is about a year before Bevan was finished. So they had like a year overlap of being regulars in the team together, if that

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
It's even worse when you realise that Symonds didn't actually get any good until 2003, which is about a year before Bevan was finished. So they had like a year overlap of being regulars in the team together, if that
That makes his low S/R even worse. Aussies had good bowlers which means they rarely had to chase big totals. He was lucky to plays in the 90s. In modern era he would struggle.