• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most elegant batsmen

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Impossible to get video clips. I am sure in the Govt's news archives there would be films but have no clue as to how to get at them.:(

In India these were handled by the Govt. and it was a thrill to see a movie just after a test match/series as the News reel that was mandatory before any movie started always showed clips from the games. In the pre TV days, you can imagine what a great boon it was in those days. We used to see the same movie again and again to see a particularly good cricket clip. 8-)
So these 'movies' were sold? How were you watch them again an again?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
So these 'movies' were sold? How were you watch them again an again?
No they werent sold. When you went to see a regular movie, it started with ads of various products. Then their were trailers of the forth coming movies at that cinema hall and then there was a Govt run 'News Review', a kind of 5-8 minute or so current news clip which was made by a Govt body.

Then came the film proper which you had paid to see.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
"Mark Waugh played 368 first class matches in his cricketing career including 128 Tests, the third most by an Australia. He also played 244 One Day Internationals.

Waugh was one of the worlds’ most elegant and gifted strokemakers. A true entertainer who put team before personal milestones.

He scored over 8000 test and one day runs for Australia and made 80 first class tons, second only to Bradman by an Australian. He holds the world record for the most test catches at 181 and is the leading one day run scorer for Australia with the highest score of 173.

Don Bradman described Mark Waugh “as the most elegant batsman of the modern era”."

However, added to that list would have to be:

Damien Martyn,
VVS Laxman,
Sir Donald Bradman,
Wally Hammond,
Greg Chappell,
George Headley,
Sir Frank Worrell,
Sir Leonard Hutton, and
Barry Richards

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
From a purely biased viewpoint, I would add Martin Crowe in there. One of the most aesthetically pleasing sights of the late 1980s was seeing 'Hogan' step into a cover drive.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Fleming instantly springs to mind for me as a New Zealander. I've heard many commentators talk about his elegance when batting.

Dravid... hmm. Who else... ooh, Dwayne Smith. A very powerful elegance. Those shots he played in that ODI against England were fantastic and yet he made them look so simple, as if he was dreaming them away.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loony BoB said:
Fleming instantly springs to mind for me as a New Zealander. I've heard many commentators talk about his elegance when batting.

Dravid... hmm. Who else... ooh, Dwayne Smith. A very powerful elegance. Those shots he played in that ODI against England were fantastic and yet he made them look so simple, as if he was dreaming them away.

Quite correct. I heard the Australian radio commentators mentioned that Fleming couldn't play an ugly stroke if he tried.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
lol i started palying when i was 7 then lost interest til last year during the ind/pak series, needless to say my return matches werent anything to write home about (i bowled a quadruple bouncer - which got a stumping!)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I was ten when I skipped school and went to see my first test match with a friend. So I would guess, I must have beeen playing much earlier.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
i can still remember i used to try n copy abdul qadir then playing with my older brother
in the sehan(dont knw that in english) of my nana's(grand fathers ) house in pakistan,
and later i remember me and my brother use to play as the whole two teams,i use to be pakistan most of the time so hed hav to get me out ten times ,if the player was left handed i used to play left handed and vv ,those were just the golen days 8-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PAKMAN said:
i can still remember i used to try n copy abdul qadir then playing with my older brother
in the sehan(dont knw that in english) of my nana's(grand fathers ) house in pakistan,
and later i remember me and my brother use to play as the whole two teams,i use to be pakistan most of the time so hed hav to get me out ten times ,if the player was left handed i used to play left handed and vv ,those were just the golen days 8-)
Yes I remember doing something similar, playing left handed for left handed batsmen. I tried to grip the bat like a right handed batsman and stand as if I was a left hander (with my hands crossed over as a result) and trying to play. My friends made a big hue and cry. :p

When I was very young, I could hardly hit very hard and just managed to irritate the elder players by refusing to yield my wicket(LBW was not out) and called myself Hanif Mohammad who was a big big star but was impossible to get him out :p