• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammed Amir cleared to return with immediate effect

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's not been confirmed yet. If the ICC had done their job in the first place we wouldn't be in this position anyway.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
No, it wasn't. The only true deterrent for an offence like this is a life ban.
If you are referring to match fixing, that worked a treat with Cronje et al. didn't it? Glad his case acts a deterrent and we don't have to deal with this issue :sarcasm

Fixing will plague this sport as long as there are illegal bookies with powerful people placing bets and having vested interests in the outcomes for matches.

The Amir case is not related to that issue. Mazhar Majeed was not a bookie. He was businessman with financial difficulties and who acted as an agent for some of the players of that Pak team. The Fake Sheikh, the man responsible behind the NOTW sting, was not a saint with morals who cared about the sanctity of the game. He was a man of dubious moralities who would do anything to get a story.

Read the Atherton article I posted.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, look if your view is that Amir's actions have damaged the sport and he should therefore never be allowed to play again, then that's fine. But the idea that life bans are necessary because they'll serve to deter future match-fixing is obviously incorrect at this point. I used to work in gambling policy and had a meeting with a member of interpol's anti-sports corruption team once. She was actually opposed to heavy sentences and life-bans because it resulted in athletes being far less likely to come forward about approaches and minor offences.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, look if your view is that Amir's actions have damaged the sport and he should therefore never be allowed to play again, then that's fine. But the idea that life bans are necessary because they'll serve to deter future match-fixing is obviously incorrect at this point. I used to work in gambling policy and had a meeting with a member of interpol's anti-sports corruption team once. She was actually opposed to heavy sentences and life-bans because it resulted in athletes being far less likely to come forward about approaches and minor offences.
If the possibility of a life ban deters people from coming forward, then surely it's enough of a deterrent to make fixers think twice before fixing. How does it not work then?

Athlai

Not Terrible
If the possibility of a life ban deters people from coming forward, then surely it's enough of a deterrent to make fixers think twice before fixing. How does it not work then?
Well the happy mix would be finding a deterrent that scares the guys who might be tempted enough while still giving enough of an out for the guilty minded who want to come clean with their transgressions.

There are likely plenty of fixers around now or who operated in the last dozen years or so that could assist in identifying fixing rings that are too afraid to come forward.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This will always be a sore topic whenever he plays now, sadly. Just shows how it's so tough to have rehabilitation. Only thing he can do is take wickets and make the best of his talent, which hopefully he will do.

TheJediBrah

The issue would be punishing players who willingly came forward with life bans, eg. Lou Vincent. That would definitely deter people from coming forward.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The issue would be punishing players who willingly came forward with life bans, eg. Lou Vincent. That would definitely deter people from coming forward.
I don't think Vincent willingly came forward - didn't he just spill his guts after being caught?

Daemon

Life bans for those who are caught, reduced bans for those who turn themselves in?

morgieb

That is probably the biggest pot meet kettle thing I've ever seen. Initially thought it was a RickRoll.

Daemon

Hard to believe he didn't even train during the period. I mean other than the little club game he played..

Anyways, I don't agree with the length of their bans but I can't hold that against them. They've served what they was given and for Amir's case he appears to have his priorities set right, so I don't hold any resentment towards them and wish them the best of luck.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Hard to believe he didn't even train during the period. I mean other than the little club game he played..
Looks like he spent that time getting an education. Don't remember him speaking English so confidently before.

Glad to see him back. Got Trescothick with a beauty today.