• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Atherton vs John Wright

Who was the better Test match opening batsman?

• Mike Atherton

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • John Wright

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
No guessing who @Fuller Pilch voted for
It is an interesting comparison. Both faced excellent quicks in slightly different eras late 70s - early 90s vs late 80s (89) - 2001.

When one looks at their career overlap from Atherton's first test (10 Aug 1989) to Wright's last (16 March 1993) it can be seen that Atherton played 23 tests and scored 1374 runs at 32.71, while Wright played 19 tests and scored 1699 at 53.09.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I give Wright a lot of credit for that, his average kept climbing throughout his whole career. So looking at his overall stats maybe doesn’t show his importance to the side as his career went on.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember when he came out here towards the end of his career. His stats popped upon the screen and, having basically watched him on and off since 80/81 I was flat out surprised how much they had improved over the years. By the end of his career he was a genuinely prized scalp.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Mike Atherton , very good batsman once he got past zero and I guess he was really unlucky to play in an era of such great bowlers , and most of these great bowlers were entering or already at their prime when they faced poor Mikey with a decent volume of tests played against England ..
If you look at the Top 10 bowlers that dismissed Atherton in Tests you'd get the picture ..You'd struggle to find a better list of top 10 bowlers to have dismissed a batsman :

1) Glenn McGrath- 19 Dismissals
2) Curtly Ambrose - 17 Dismissals
3)Courtney Walsh - 17 Dismissals
4) Allan Donald - 11 Dismissals
5) Shane Warne - 10 Dismissals
6) Shaun Pollock - 6 Dismissals
7) Waqar Younis - 6 Dismissals
8) Craig McDermott- 5 Dismissals
9) Chaminda Vaas - 5 Dismissals
10) Ian Bishop - 5 Dismissals

OUCH ?

Last edited:

Zinzan

I remember when he came out here towards the end of his career. His stats popped upon the screen and, having basically watched him on and off since 80/81 I was flat out surprised how much they had improved over the years. By the end of his career he was a genuinely prized scalp.
Well yeah, had a better peak than Athers if you look at his last 3 years of Test batting

1679898302644.png

Burgey

Mike Atherton , very good batsman once he got past zero and I guess he was really unlucky to play in an era of such great bowlers , and most of these great bowlers were entering or already at their prime when they faced poor Mikey with a decent volume of tests played against England ..
If you look at the Top 10 bowlers that dismissed Atherton in Tests you'd get the picture ..You'd struggle to find a better list of top 10 of bowlers to have dismissed a batsman :

1) Glenn McGrath- 19 Dismissals
2) Curtly Ambrose - 17 Dismissals
3)Courtney Walsh - 17 Dismissals
4) Allan Donald - 11 Dismissals
5) Shane Warne - 10 Dismissals
6) Shaun Pollock - 6 Dismissals
7) Waqar Younis - 6 Dismissals
8) Craig McDermott- 5 Dismissals
9) Chaminda Vaas - 5 Dismissals
10) Ian Bishop - 5 Dismissals

OUCH ?
?Which one of these is not like the others?
Which one of these is not quite the same??