• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meaningless and stupid cricket statistics

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Boredly thinking about this stat tonight. So some people seem to have overhyped Kohli’s slump imo and seemingly are giving up on him as a batsman. So Kohli has gone 18 matches and 3 years without a century. This undisputed ATG went 36 matches and 4 years without a ton, and afterwards ended up scoring 4 more over 24 tests at a 45+ average
His slump was massively overplayed, 100%. He was still gunning it in t20 and ODI, just couldn't convert his 50's into 100's. Only format he's genuinly slumped in is tests.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Boredly thinking about this stat tonight. So some people seem to have overhyped Kohli’s slump imo and seemingly are giving up on him as a batsman. So Kohli has gone 18 matches and 3 years without a century. This undisputed ATG went 36 matches and 4 years without a ton, and afterwards ended up scoring 4 more over 24 tests at a 45+ average
who?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Not sure whom that refers to, but Kohli’s problem isn’t just centuries, it’s that he’s averaging mid 20s.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure whom that refers to, but Kohli’s problem isn’t just centuries, it’s that he’s averaging mid 20s.
Mm it was just something I was thinking about after work, mainly cos its specifically usually mentioned as a media headline regarding the centuries. Also a reason I posted in the meaningless thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Southee has the 15th most sixes in test cricket history. He also has the lowest average (16.13) of any player to hit 50 sixes. Afridi hit sixes the most often for any player above 50 (1.08 an innings), followed by Pant (0.98) and Cairns (0.84). Sharma is right behind Cairns though.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
No. of cricketers who average 50+ by country

43 total

Australia - 11 (2 current)
England - 8
West Indies - 8
South Africa - 4
India - 4
Pakistan - 4 (1 current)
New Zealand - 2 (2 current)
Sri Lanka - 1
Zimbabwe - 1

63 are listed on the cricinfo stats page (everyone above 48) Bumps em up to Aus - 16, Eng - 12, WI - 9, SA - 7, Pak - 7, Ind - 6, SL - 3, NZ - 2, Zim - 1

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm confused. Why the difference between the top and bottom list? And the 48 reference? Or is this just to highlight the stupid part

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm confused. Why the difference between the top and bottom list? And the 48 reference? Or is this just to highlight the stupid part
Eh I only thought to do 50+ but cricinfo lists all from 48+ on the top averages page so I chucked it in there in case anyone was interested.