• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Hoggard

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh yeah, but Anderson played there and in NZ in 2008 and was diabolical. I presumed we were comparing summer-to-summer, in-England-to-in-England.

And Hoggard of 2007 really didn't get any chance and I think had he done so he'd have excelled, thus putting paid to any idea that he declined after the Second Test against SL in 2006.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He bowled perfectly OK IMO - got conditions to his liking for some of the time, didn't others; went well when conditions suited; didn't when they didn't. Same as ever really.

As I say - in the very, very friendly conditions of summer '07, I'd have backed him to have done extremely well, far better than Anderson or Tremlett, even though Tremlett was decent and Anderson managed 1 good spell in 6.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:-O

Hoggard was excellent in the favourable conditions at Lord's (was obviously disguised to some extent by the 8289573 or so catches that went down off his bowling that game, but his figures were still decent) and Edgbaston, and also bowled really well for about 5 overs at Trent Bridge before losing his rhythm completely and bowling poorly for the rest of the game.

By the time the sun had come out in the Pakistan series he was barely getting any seam or swing and as per usual under such circumstances he was innocuous. But he'd started really well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, bowled absolutely beautifully with the new-ball in the opening session of that series. Didn't do all that much thereafter but that was about as devastating a demonstration of how to use the new-ball in the subcontinent as you could wish for.