• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matches or series when your team astonished you in a good way

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think I've had any from Australia during the time I've been watching, at least in tests.
Yeah, generally always expected them to win. The one I can think of was the Sok 12-for Test. Still remember I was off my face at a BBQ on the day they won it, casually checked the scores and thought "huh, weird" then forgot about it for a few days.

sunilz

International Regular
Border gavaskar 2020/21 first by miles obviously

Honourable mentions:

2001 v Australia

3 wins in SL (01 Kandy chasing a big score vs peak Murali, 08 Galle against Murali Mendis and 2010 when VVS chased a big score down) were all massive surprises to me. Especially the first two because we usually got owned by Murali every other time plus Sachin and VVS were absent for Kandy.

2014 Lords was a shock because of how inexperienced the team was and the fact that they were send in to bat on arguably the greenest pitch in half a century, rest of the series was more along the lines of how I expected it would go.
2015 SL series 2-1 .
Didn't expect us to win series after horror show at Galle.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Going back into the distant past, New Zealand drawing 2-2 with South Africa in 1961 was a pretty stunning over archievement. Not the greatest SA team, but they had some real quality in the Pollock-Adcock new ball partnership and Colin Bland was a fine batsman - certainly all three were better than any of the players in the NZ side.

In more recent times the 2011 Hobart test win was pretty stunning, and in terms of good feels the 2012 win against Sri Lanka is pretty high up there, especially because it was the first time the likes of Williamson and Southee helped to lead NZ to a test win.

Heboric

International Debutant
1992 Test series draw, SA vs Aus... the 2nd 'Vinnige Fanie ' test!
Oh yes that series and Darrel Hair , that series was the poster child for the need of neutral umpires.

Ill add series wins in Pakistan and Sri Lanka - cant remember the dates

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The West Indies tour of 1995 was probably the last time I was astonished by Australia in a test series. I had grown up understanding that the West Indies were an unstoppable beast of a side who would never concede their crown. Every time someone great retired, someone new would step up. Lara had just replaced Viv a few short years earlier after all. And Curtley was Curtley. We were never going to beat them on their home turf.

And then we did. Forever.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The West Indies tour of 1995 was probably the last time I was astonished by Australia in a test series. I had grown up understanding that the West Indies were an unstoppable beast of a side who would never concede their crown. Every time someone great retired, someone new would step up. Lara had just replaced Viv a few short years earlier after all. And Curtley was Curtley. We were never going to beat them on their home turf.

And then we did. Forever.
And they've never recovered. The state of modern WI cricket is purely due to Australia living rent-free in their heads of every person living in that chain of islands.

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
The 2003 Australia tour which they huffed and puffed and drew the series after went took lead. Ganguly showed great leadership skills.