• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matches or series when your team astonished you in a good way

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A more positive counterpart to the 'losses' thread. Here are a few instances when England played better and did far better than we had any right to expect..

1973/74: Drew 1-1 in the West Indies
WI had comfortably beaten us in England,did the same in the first test in this series and dominated most of the rest of it. Then a combination of Greig's off-spin and Boycott at his finest allowed us to win the final test and draw the series.

1976/77: Won 3-1 in India
We'd lost in India last time there, we hadn't won a series against anyone other than NZ for two and a half years, and Boycott was till unavailable. John Lever was the surprise package, Amiss and Greig produced some match winning innings and we won the first three tests at a canter. Happy days.

1984/85: Won 2-1 in India
Straight after the 1984 blackwash, we hadn't won a series away from home since beating Australia's reserves in 1978/79 and Botham preferred to stay at home resting. Tim Robinson hit a couple of hundreds in his debut series, Gatting made his first couple of test tons, including a massive double in partnership with Fowler, who also doubled up in his penultimate test. During that match, England's massive score led to a memorable Spitting Image sketch where the famously doubting Archbishop of Durham pointed out that England's score of 629 for 3 should not be taken in a literal sense.

1986/76: Won 2-1 in Australia
Famously described as having three problems; unable to bat, bowl or field. And we'd been well beaten at home by India and NZ the previous summer. But we hadn't realised that Aus were even worse.

1989/90: The first 2 tests in the WI
Off the back of our ashes horribilus in 1989, without the guys who had joined Gatting in taking the rand, and against the best side in the world. And yet we won the first comfortably and would have won the second equally comfortably without a combination of rain and Haynes getting away with having his side bowl about 8 overs an hour to prevent us chasing a small target. As LT observed elsewhere, subsequently Richards took over umpiring duties, Ambrose rediscovered his superpowers and WI won 2-1. But the first two tests were astonishing.

2000/2001: Winning 1-0 in Pakistan and 2-1 in Sri Lanka
Our previous trip to the subcontinent had been the 1992/93 horror shows in India and SL. And our previous tour to Pakistan had been the Gatting/Shakoor Rana affair in 1987/88. We were just pleased that the Pakistan tour had been incident free and that we'd been competitive when our hosts helpfully collapsed on the last day of the 3rd test and their umpires didn't let their captain get away with slowing the game down enough to stop us chasing a smallish target in the dark. And, if anything, the win in SL was even more astonishing. We knew all about Murali after he'd bowled them to victory at The Oval three years earlier and duly got walloped in the first test here. But still came back to win, even we nearly made a mess of chasing 70 in the decisive test. Graham Thorpe at his finest won that one for us.

2012: Winning 2-1 in India
I think it was 2-1, but I struggle to remember the more recent ones. I do remember that our batting had been hopeless away to Pakistan at the start of the year and that this was completely unexpected. Cook and KP batted really well didn't they? Swann and Panesar may well be the best pair of England spinners since I've been watching the game.

2018: Winning 3-0 in SL
How the heck did that happen when everyone else was being seen off by SL's spinners?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No mention of 2005? Shame on you calling yourself a pom.
Fair comment. I did realise afterwards that I'd managed to forget Edgbaston. After it had been business as usual at Lord's, we were astonishingly good for most of the first three days, even if we did almost bottle it on Day 4. I don't know whether or performances for the rest of the series felt so unexpected after that. Maybe they did but I'd forgotten over the years. We knew we were better than we had been, but thinking now how we dominated the middle three tests and even how well we handled most of the fifth test you're probably right.

Flem274*

123/5
our most recent series against pakistan. not many teams go to the uae and win.

after the disaster in australia, seeing off kohli and friends with ease was also a pleasant surprise. i knew nz at home to a side they're confident against should start favourites, but india were blasted off the park by the quartet.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
1984/85: Won 2-1 in India
Straight after the 1984 blackwash, we hadn't won a series away from home since beating Australia's reserves in 1978/79 and Botham preferred to stay at home resting. Tim Robinson hit a couple of hundreds in his debut series, Gatting made his first couple of test tons, including a massive double in partnership with Fowler, who also doubled up in his penultimate test. During that match, England's massive score led to a memorable Spitting Image sketch where the famously doubting Archbishop of Durham pointed out that England's score of 629 for 3 should not be taken in a literal sense.
?

Can you share the context on this?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can you share the context on this?
Early 1985, the then Archbishop of Durham had made headlines with a series of talks or articles where he cast doubt on the literal truth of the resurrection of Jesus. I think his exact words included 'a conjuring trick with bones'. It was classic liberal theology about not taking the supernatural elements of the Bible literally. Obviously most people weren't offended by this, but it's not quite what you expect form a senior cleric. Some of the tabloids had already been offended by his support for the miners' strike, so he was seen as fair game to the likes of the Mail and the Express. England proceeded to build an extraordinary score in the 4th test; I think it was at Madras. Fowler and Gatting both hit massive double hundreds and at one point we were 600+ for 3. Maybe 629,maybe not. Hence Spitting Image's latex puppet of the Archbishop of Durham, complete with miner's hat, patiently explaining that 629 for 3 shouldn't be taken in a literal sense.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with WP's selections and would add the 2-1 win in South Africa in 2004/05. 2005 Ashes was a great series but I wasn't particularly astonished by it. I was expecting to lose and have never really thought we deserved to win. That said the moment when show pony Hair knocked the bails off to signal the match was over and the Ashes were back home was amazing. Due to the mid September finish and the early ending to the next series they were only home for about 15 months.

Flem274*

123/5
Semi vs. India. Basically written off, even moreso after the first innings. Henry gets Kohli and Doull on comms barely raising his voice.
hahaha it was beautiful, but was it really unexpected? i can't remember whether you were with me and the others on the right side of history in the thread or not, trying to patiently explain to people blowing their lids kane and ross were obviously batting slowly for a reason.

then the rockstars of cricket came on and snick snick snick.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
1992 Test series draw, SA vs Aus... the 2nd 'Vinnige Fanie ' test!

2000 Test series win for SA vs India in India
2010 Test series draw, SA vs India in India

2003 Test series draw, SA vs Eng in Eng (Graeme Smith doubles)
2008 Test series win for SA vs Eng in Eng

Beating Aus in Aus three Test series running now...

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hahaha it was beautiful, but was it really unexpected? i can't remember whether you were with me and the others on the right side of history in the thread or not, trying to patiently explain to people blowing their lids kane and ross were obviously batting slowly for a reason.

then the rockstars of cricket came on and snick snick snick.
Buddy I'm RossTaylorsBox, I still think he was 100% right that time he used up a review and was literally in the dressing room when the decision came up.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both the 13/14 series count. The Ashes is clearly the best recent answer for any Australian fan. Though the series was definitely closer than 3-0 and we had this one at home, I still expected England to beat us narrowly. Instead we not just won but smashed them. Was the most impressed I've been of my team. The South Africa series probably wasn't as unexpected in terms of the margin but South Africa back then was a truly excellent team and I thought was just a bridge too far for us. Instead we pulled off one of the most impressive away tours of all-time.

A similar one is the 09 tour of South Africa.....especially after they beat us at home just a couple of months earlier. True Australia bottled the home rubber, but we looked like a rabble leading into it and South Africa looked like world-beaters. Instead we easily won the two series.....

India's tour here in 2011/12. I did expect to win that one in fairness, but I was anticipating a close series. It was anything but, especially after the first Test.

The Sri Lanka series in 2011. Coming off arguably our worst series of my lifetime in the 2010/11 Ashes, we had no right to be the dominant side in that series. They basically had no idea how to bowl us out.

And as an added bonus, the India series in 2017. Well probably more the first Test, but even though we lost that was a genuinely impressive performance after two absolutely crap tours of Asia against weak sides. I think the average Aussie fan expected 4-0 or something. I knew Smith was good, but I think that was the first time I went "OK he is genuinely an ATG".

Moss

International Vice-Captain
1999 New Zealand 2-1 in England, the series which England and most of the cricket world appears to remember as "the one in which England hit rock bottom and went to 9th in the rankings and was the turning point for the Hussain/Fletcher era". Which is not incorrect but glosses over the fact that NZ played some damn good cricket over 4 tests (when most of the reportage seemed to wonder why an entire test summer was given to NZ).

Fleming, Cairns, Nash, Vettori and even others like Astle and Matt Horne were immense through that series, even if the batting from both sides was pretty bad. I always thought NZ were a chance that series but was surprised delighted by how they turned things around at the Oval thanks to Cairns (who was a doubtful starter because of fitness). There were also a lot of verbals and sledging which I hadn't really associated with NZ and don't normally approve of, but it was used to very good effect in that series.

Flem274*

123/5
saw some highlights from that the other day. cairns was absolutely dishing it out, and im sure a nice bloke like parore was quiet behind the sticks as well.

#niceguysofcricket

vcs

I expected a pretty close series against England at home in 2016, given we'd struggled against them in the last few encounters. I even thought they had a decent chance of beating us after we scraped a draw in the Rajkot Test match, but after that, we completely blew them away despite chasing reasonably big first innings scores in most of the matches.

Moss

our most recent series against pakistan. not many teams go to the uae and win.

after the disaster in australia, seeing off kohli and friends with ease was also a pleasant surprise. i knew nz at home to a side they're confident against should start favourites, but india were blasted off the park by the quartet.
Both series are quite notable for the way in which they were won. In the UAE series NZ trailed by 74 runs in the 1st innings in both the tests they ended up winning. Obviously guys like KW, Watling and Wagner were instrumental but was great to see rookie spinners and someone like Nicholls play a significant role. Also the fact that it was NZ's first away series in 2 years.

I think the India series showed it's one thing to have skillful bowlers and completely another to successfully exploit favourable conditions. The feeling was NZ might be ripe for the taking because India's attack was every bit as good as theirs (which is not off the mark), yet NZ completely outbowled India like never before. For the record I feel similarly about people complaining (in recent times at least) about Indian conditions not being conducive to pace bowling - India's quicks have worked out exactly how to bowl at home.

trundler

I can literally only think of England in 2012. Was a very good side that Ajmal blew away. Was really gun around that period. Rest of the bowling attack wasn't bad either. I must admit I don't remember a lot from the early 10s, only scattered moments that stand out. Cant recall specific tests and scorecards like the rest of you.

h_hurricane

2001 vs Aus in Kolkata and Chennai
2002 vs Eng in Leeds
2003 vs Aus in Adelaide
2004 vs Pak in Multan and Rawalpindi
2008 vs Aus in Perth
2010 vs SA in Durban