• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe vs Virender Sehwag

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
An opener averaging 57+ isn’t impressive in any era?
I’d love to know how many openers have done that over 50+ tests

Hayden looks like one, and he just breached 60
Gavaskar averaged 60 or thereabout for around 50 tests from mid to late 70s.

Same with Hobbs last 50 tests.

Pretty sure Hutton would have a similar streak there.

Sutcliffe's career was that peak.

Must be more.

I bet you can find similar streaks in Cook and Warner around Sehwag's level as well.

anil1405

International Captain
You know what it means to not have a high peak in comparison to other players and yet average close to 50?

It emphasises consistency in my books.

anil1405

International Captain
Kallis > Sehwag definitely.
That he is but you also emphasised a reason why Kallis is right up there with the other ATGs. Averaging 55 playing half your games in swinging conditions means more than averaging 55 or so on roads.

subshakerz

International Coach
That he is but you also emphasised a reason why Kallis is right up there with the other ATGs. Averaging 55 playing half your games in swinging conditions means more than averaging 55 or so on roads.
I put Kallis 20-25 on the ATG batting list.

subshakerz

International Coach
Where you put Kallis is secondary.

On one hand you are saying Smith should get a leeway for having inferior s/r to Sehwag coz he played home games in swinging conditions...

... While on the other hand you accuse Kallis all across the forum for being too slow despite playing in same conditions as Smith.
Nope, Overall record across countries matters more than SR which is a minor factor.

Kallis' SR I only bring up in comparison with players of similar records like Dravid, Border and Sanga.

So Smith's overall record vs Sehwag matters more than their SR difference to me.

anil1405

International Captain
In Sehwag's case s/r is a big factor because he is wayyy ahead of the rest (barring Gilchrist).

Which means he decimated attacks on his day and demotivated them and set the match up on the plate for rest of the team to take advantage of.

No other opener has done that while averaging close to 50.

subshakerz

International Coach
In Sehwag's case s/r is a big factor because he is wayyy ahead of the rest (barring Gilchrist).

Which means he decimated attacks on his day and demotivated them and set the match up on the plate for rest of the team to take advantage of.

No other opener has done that while averaging close to 50.
I am old school. Primary job of opener for me is to survive the new ball and build a platform.

You discount the many times Sehwag has thrown his wicket away with rash shots and ceded the advantage to the opposition and only remember the highlights, mostly on flat tracks.

And of course, not averaging 30 in NZ, SA and England, which in most comparisons should effectively end the conversation on Sehwag.

anil1405

International Captain
I am old school. Primary job of opener for me is to survive the new ball and build a platform.

You discount the many times Sehwag has thrown his wicket away with rash shots and ceded the advantage to the opposition and only remember the highlights, mostly on flat tracks.

And of course, not averaging 30 in NZ, SA and England, which in most comparisons should effectively end the conversation on Sehwag.
On one hand you rate Sangakkara higher than Kallis because Sanga was more aggressive and here you are interestingly playing the defensive card.

You throw away wicket playing rash shots, not defensive cricket. If someone is averaging 50 with a s/r of 82 I would take those rash shots once in a while.

Also since you are banging on about the flat tracks discussion since the start of this thread, why is it that only one other opener averaged 50 apart from Sehwag in an era of flat tracks?

subshakerz

International Coach
On one hand you rate Sangakkara higher than Kallis because Sanga was more aggressive and here you are interestingly playing the defensive card.

You throw away wicket playing rash shots, not defensive cricket. If someone is averaging 50 with a s/r of 82 I would take those rash shots once in a while.

Also since you are banging on about the flat tracks discussion since the start of this thread, why is it that only one other opener averaged 50 apart from Sehwag in an era of flat tracks?
Sanga pretty much scored the runs Kallis would but faster.

Sehwag's high SR and rashness means he can't score against lateral movement unlike other openers. A horrible weakness for an opener to have.

Btw I acknowledge openers have it tougher so I give them a 1-2 point boost in my inner calculations of them compared to middle order bats.

anil1405

International Captain
I've gone through this thread again and I see that everyone who posted in favour of Crowe had mentioned why they rate him highly. Even @BazBall21 had his own reasoning as to why Crowe was average in certain circumstances, except....

P.S. I rate both very highly and I find comparing an opener with a middle order bat a bit unfair.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
P.S. I rate both very highly and I find comparing an opener with a middle order bat a bit unfair.
Opening in the subcontinent is nearly as hard as it is outside it imo. Can often be easier to bat up front here before the ball softens and the pitch is less worn/spinners aren't bowling.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
crowe was more talented for sure...and better on tough tracks and against quality pace...