• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Waugh

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It's completely relevant. It may not be the sole determinant but it is unquestionably important. And it's not the prior 6 tests, we're talking about 12+ tests. Did you check the links?.
The Hansie Cronje era ended vs IND 2000. So i presume you talking about the test under Pollock's captaincy before the AUS tour. South Africa played:

- Toured SRI 2000
- NZ & SRI @ Home 2000/01
- toured WI & ZIM 2001
- IND @ Home 2001

None of those series (except the tour to SRI) where SA challenged & none of those series could you say was a good preparation for the then "unofficial test championship" as it was called ATT.

Aus exposed that SA team for not being all that strong as they where hyped up as before that tour.

Even Donald who for the last few years of his career was routinely unfit and didn't finish series on occasion never had a series of averaging above 30 in the 2000s. You have to go all the way back to 99 and against Zimbabwe when that happened. The time before that, all the way back to 97.
Thats just stats picking. As i said before in the period mentioned above i saw Donald bowl live vs IND 2000 & WI 2001. He was clearly passed his peak LONG before the AUS tour, thats not being subjected - thats fact my friend. He was bowling 80-85 mph & wasn't the same "white lightning" that made him such a great bowler in the 90s.

So thus you had a situation where, Donald was passed his peak - the pitches where flat - Hayden is tremendous form. Hayden dominated & wasn't tested technically.

They did.
No. As i said above Donald was the only bowler who could exposed Hayden technically & he was passed his peak.

- Pollock doesn't bowl that well to left-handers & is not a swing bowler.

- Kallis, Ntini & Klusener clearly had no skills to trouble him.

They were; at least comparative to pitches around the world at the time.
All the pitches over the 6 tests where flat decks. Thats for sure.

It's wrong. Hayden's weakness is exaggerated. All batsman, every single one of them, are susceptible to the swinging ball and high quality seam. It's not even a real criticism. The argument made that he faced less of this post 2000 is a valid one, it just doesn't detract from his all-time great status.

Frankly, I find it humourous to think he corrected himself on the pinpoint of the Oval test in 05. He wasn't in form for at least a year before that Test. Deficiencies in technique don't simply go away like that; so in conclusion the deficiency was exaggerated. It was more form-related. Someone like Hayden who goes after batsmen is bound to go through periods of trough probably heavier than those with a conservative approach. However, his approach also meant he scored at a freakish rate when he was on song.

During the 90s Hayden faced some of the greatest bowlers around the world, both against domestic sides and touring test sides. He did so on what were largely bowler friendly pitches - or at least fair to both bat and ball - during that time. He amassed a tonne of runs. Any deficiencies that were glaring would have been spotted.

---

You can opine as you wish, as long as you remember what you're saying is purely subjective. You mentioned dates and talk about his batting problems as if they are known facts. The same you do with the S.African bowlers. This is not intelligent IMO. I appreciate the fact that you try to side with Hayden in saying he "fixed" himself, but there really wasn't much fixing to do in the first place.

As I said, we're not going to agree. You're plain wrong in my view. I think we should also stop talking about Hayden in a Mark Waugh thread.
Let me give my opinion on Hayden career, since i am as much a backer of his ability & greatness as much as you Ikki. My defense of Richard's particular notion about what occured vs SA 01/02 is just me acknowledging the few area's where Richard has been correct of Hayden in the past, since i've been on his case since i first came on this site in 2005. After all Richard & TEC long before the 05 Ashes had predicted he would fail & they where proven correct.

Soo my summary goes..

- Hayden in the 90s was exposed technically by some great bowlers in the tests he played. Its very clear he wasn't the same batsman he was when he came back & destroyed IND 2001 that he was during the test he played in the 90s.

Yes he indeed scored domestic runs vs touring great attacks & as some AUS psoters like FaaipdeOaid (spell check) & Mister Wright have highlighted in the past. The conditions in Brisbane in domestic matches where bowler friendly & he built his career scoring runs there.

But i don't believe we should use the runs he scored in domestic matches or vs touring teams as a "clear argument" to justify Hayden's ability to play swing bowling. Since the intensity of a domestic game (although the standard of cricket in AUS FC cricket was very clsoe to that of intl cricket in the 90s) is not always that of test cricket. The times he scored Hundreds vs touring sides - those blokes could have very well have been bowling on low intensity in preparation for the test. I remember when AUS toured WI in 2003, when Carlton Baugh slammed a BIG hundred before the 1st test in Guyana & when he made his debuted during the series he looked totally out of his depth. Same thing happened with Hayden in 90s.

- Fast forward to IND 2001 after that superb series. FromMumbai 2001 - Cairns 2004, Big Mat was FTB. He faced no testing pace attacks in bowler friendly conditions. He smoked everything in his path. The only time he faced a bit of swing in this period vs ENG 01, he wasn't that fluent.

- Then from IND 04 & NZ 05 before the Ashes. Hayden went into a bit of bad run of form, but he still was exposed technically for the first time since ENG 01 by Mills & Akhtar in those test.

So come the 05 Ashes he was all over the place in the first 4 test, since the well oiled ENG bowling machine exposed him 100% technically. But Hayden corrected these in Oval test & later vs SA 05/06 & IND 07/08 when he faced very good attacks & bowling friendly conditions.

The runs he scored here should prove conclusively why Hayden is great since, not many players could change their ENTIRE gameplay as Hayden had to do to save his career in the Oval test. Being exposed like that could end careers.

- The last part would be 08/09 vs IND/NZ/SA after returning from 6 months out of the game with injury - where he struggled before retiring. IMO in this period after AUS losted in IND, Hayden was being made a scapegoat by the media & this pressure clearly had a mental effect on his batting. Since Hayden went into an usual shell during the AUS summer - but was not troubled technically.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm ok.
The Hansie Cronje era ended vs IND 2000. So i presume you talking about the test under Pollock's captaincy before the AUS tour. South Africa played:

- Toured SRI 2000
- NZ & SRI @ Home 2000/01
- toured WI & ZIM 2001
- IND @ Home 2001

None of those series (except the tour to SRI) where SA challenged & none of those series could you say was a good preparation for the then "unofficial test championship" as it was called ATT.

Aus exposed that SA team for not being all that strong as they where hyped up as before that tour.
What does it matter when the Hansie Cronje era ended? We're talking about their bowling. It was clearly excellent for at least a year before the Aussie test series.

Australia had 3-4 batsmen at their absolute peaks at that time and no attack was going to blunt them.

Thats just stats picking. As i said before in the period mentioned above i saw Donald bowl live vs IND 2000 & WI 2001. He was clearly passed his peak LONG before the AUS tour, thats not being subjected - thats fact my friend. He was bowling 80-85 mph & wasn't the same "white lightning" that made him such a great bowler in the 90s.

So thus you had a situation where, Donald was passed his peak - the pitches where flat - Hayden is tremendous form. Hayden dominated & wasn't tested technically.
And in your case you're just being arbitrary then. I saw Donald too, yes clearly past his peak. No, nowhere near poor or bad or even decent. Still taking wickets at a good clip. As I said, you need to go back to 99 for a series where he averages above 30 and that was against Zimbabwe, who were on the up, but definitely not a great team.

No. As i said above Donald was the only bowler who could exposed Hayden technically & he was passed his peak.

- Pollock doesn't bowl that well to left-handers & is not a swing bowler.

- Kallis, Ntini & Klusener clearly had no skills to trouble him.

Whether you said it or think so is frankly irrelevant. Pollock was in that time an excellent seamer...in fact better than McGrath was uptil that point. Something more interesting: Pollock had never averaged above 30 in a series until that one. He was on track to be one of the top all-time bowlers ever.

Kallis is not supposed to be a great bowler but as an attack of 3 it was a pretty good one. To write it off shows regard for only extremes. An awesome Pollock, a good enough Donald and a career peak Kallis. Very fine attack.

All the pitches over the 6 tests where flat decks. Thats for sure.
Actually, upto that point the pitches were still fairly good although they were getting flatter.
Soo my summary goes..

- Hayden in the 90s was exposed technically by some great bowlers in the tests he played. Its very clear he wasn't the same batsman he was when he came back & destroyed IND 2001 that he was during the test he played in the 90s.
This is the problem, you can't really say anything about his batting in the 90s for he barely played any Test cricket. So this whole argument is a farce. Do you know how well Hayden did against McGrath in the 90s for instance? I suggest you check it up. You, like Richard, are generalising too much.

Yes he indeed scored domestic runs vs touring great attacks & as some AUS psoters like FaaipdeOaid (spell check) & Mister Wright have highlighted in the past. The conditions in Brisbane in domestic matches where bowler friendly & he built his career scoring runs there.

But i don't believe we should use the runs he scored in domestic matches or vs touring teams as a "clear argument" to justify Hayden's ability to play swing bowling. Since the intensity of a domestic game (although the standard of cricket in AUS FC cricket was very clsoe to that of intl cricket in the 90s) is not always that of test cricket. The times he scored Hundreds vs touring sides - those blokes could have very well have been bowling on low intensity in preparation for the test. I remember when AUS toured WI in 2003, when Carlton Baugh slammed a BIG hundred before the 1st test in Guyana & when he made his debuted during the series he looked totally out of his depth. Same thing happened with Hayden in 90s.
Again, this is why your arguent, like Richard's, in certain aspects is just a farce.

You can accept how he did for Queensland and acknowledge he face like quality and succeeded...yet you deny it as something that is not bankable or a "clear argument" yet your argument rests on, what, 7 tests in the 90s? Puh-lease.

Intensity? You watch him play for Australia A vs McGrath? Did you see their little tussle?

YouTube - McGrath/Hayden Incident - 1995

It was very competitive back then and Hayden's record is too good to argue. Besides you're arguing about a technical deficiency Hayden had...what you're arguing here refers more to form.

- Fast forward to IND 2001 after that superb series. FromMumbai 2001 - Cairns 2004, Big Mat was FTB. He faced no testing pace attacks in bowler friendly conditions. He smoked everything in his path. The only time he faced a bit of swing in this period vs ENG 01, he wasn't that fluent.
Wrong though, facing India in India was at that time was about as hard as anywhere. In fact, even Richie boy doesn't demean his performances there...that's why you never hear Richard talk about Hayden playing great quality spin - he certainly showed himself there.

- Then from IND 04 & NZ 05 before the Ashes. Hayden went into a bit of bad run of form, but he still was exposed technically for the first time since ENG 01 by Mills & Akhtar in those test.
Hayden went 15 tests without a century there, it was more than a bit bad - he averaged around 30 IIRC.

He only faced Mills in 1 inning and got the better of Akhtar in what only a looney would call favourable batting conditions. When you're arguing Kyle Mills exposed Hayden in 1 inning yet ignore that S.African series...that says it all really.

And in that period he was also poor against India. The same place, where as you said he was flat-track-bullying it up. He was just bad against everyone in that time and his Oval knock saved his career.

So come the 05 Ashes he was all over the place in the first 4 test, since the well oiled ENG bowling machine exposed him 100% technically. But Hayden corrected these in Oval test & later vs SA 05/06 & IND 07/08 when he faced very good attacks & bowling friendly conditions.
LOL. I've never heard such glaring technical deficiencies being fixed in a MONTH in 3-4 tests. If they were that easy to overcome, surely he would have done so in the 90s ;).

Hayden was just rank bad and out of form prior and during this series. You're taking too many liberties here.

The runs he scored here should prove conclusively why Hayden is great since, not many players could change their ENTIRE gameplay as Hayden had to do to save his career in the Oval test. Being exposed like that could end careers.

- The last part would be 08/09 vs IND/NZ/SA after returning from 6 months out of the game with injury - where he struggled before retiring. IMO in this period after AUS losted in IND, Hayden was being made a scapegoat by the media & this pressure clearly had a mental effect on his batting. Since Hayden went into an usual shell during the AUS summer - but was not troubled technically.
This is the one part I do agree with you here. Hayden at the end was given some absurd pressure rather than letting him get back into it after injury. He was our best batsman prior to it and was looking as good as ever. It obviously got to him enough to make him think about retiring.

All in all, technique is only a means to an end. What bothers me most about some cricket fans is when people talk about them as if they are hard and fast scientific rules. You want to talk about techniques...look at Sehwag. Yet he did awesome against both McGrath and Warne. Yet had he not played them some would say "had he played in that era he could never have scored against them, and Atherton is better". :laugh:

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm ok.

What does it matter when the Hansie Cronje era ended? We're talking about their bowling. It was clearly excellent for at least a year before the Aussie test series.

Australia had 3-4 batsmen at their absolute peaks at that time and no attack was going to blunt them.
The argument is not whether the SA attack & team where in good form leading up the 2001/02 - they clearly where. But whether the team looking at their form with all the hype at the time of the clash with AUS being the "Unofficial World Test Championship" - was IF SA really had the artilery to topple AUS. The feeling by a few was ATT that the SA team was a bit over-rated although & AUS was likely to smoke them & that was proven.

If you compare the SA team form leading into the 2001/02 series to lets say the form ENG where before the 05 Ashes or SA before the won in AUS last summer. Those teams always looked capable of potentially toppling AUS snce they where better equipped than SA 01/02.

And in your case you're just being arbitrary then. I saw Donald too, yes clearly past his peak. No, nowhere near poor or bad or even decent. Still taking wickets at a good clip. As I said, you need to go back to 99 for a series where he averages above 30 and that was against Zimbabwe, who were on the up, but definitely not a great team.:
Donald may not have entered the series in poor or bad form - but seeing him bowl in the 4 tests he played he was CLEARLY a spent force as soon as the series started. Donald probably should have retired after the AUS tour since it a disappoiting sight seeing that great bowler bowling at 80 mph in Jo'Burg getting smashed & having to be carried of injured.

Donald bowling in AUS in 2001/02 was a bit like Walsh & Akram the previous years in 2000/01 & 99/00. They where both passed their peaks (although still decent) - but without the pace of their youth on those flat AUS pitches they were easy for the AUS batsmen.

Whether you said it or think so is frankly irrelevant. Pollock was in that time an excellent seamer...in fact better than McGrath was uptil that point. Something more interesting: Pollock had never averaged above 30 in a series until that one. He was on track to be one of the top all-time bowlers ever.
Pollock wasn't better than McGrath up 2001 at all even if he statistically is better.

Secondly Pollock was an excellent seamer yes - but not a swing-bowler. So Pollock had two problems in 2001.

- Hayden's weakness of the ball swinging into the front pad, Pollock never had the ability to swing the ball into the pads of left-handed in his carrer even at his peak. Plus his record againts left-handers is not as good as agiants right handers.

- Plus the pitches where flat, so Pollock didn't have any seamer friendly conditions to exploit.

Theifore with the conditons not in his favour, Pollock didn't trouble Hayden.

Kallis is not supposed to be a great bowler but as an attack of 3 it was a pretty good one. To write it off shows regard for only extremes. An awesome Pollock, a good enough Donald and a career peak Kallis. Very fine attack.
See above.

Actually, upto that point the pitches were still fairly good although they were getting flatter.
I dont know about the rest of the world. But in those 6 tests their was not a bowler/seamer friendly conditions prevalent. Mcgrath/Warne being the great bowlers they where of course could get wickets on glass - so the pitch conditions where never going to be an obstacle for them.

This is the problem, you can't really say anything about his batting in the 90s for he barely played any Test cricket. So this whole argument is a farce.
No. It plainly obvious that Hayden was in test he played in the 90s was technically exposed by some great bowlers, you just had to watch him bat. Get the 96/97 DVD of the WI vs AUS series & see him leaving alone Ambrose & getting bowled like a dunce. That was the worst dismissal of Hayden's career until Flintoff bowled him behind has back during the 05 Ashes.

Do you know how well Hayden did against McGrath in the 90s for instance? I suggest you check it up. You, like Richard, are generalising too much.

Again, this is why your arguent, like Richard's, in certain aspects is just a farce.

You can accept how he did for Queensland and acknowledge he face like quality and succeeded...yet you deny it as something that is not bankable or a "clear argument" yet your argument rests on, what, 7 tests in the 90s? Puh-lease.

Intensity? You watch him play for Australia A vs McGrath? Did you see their little tussle?

YouTube - McGrath/Hayden Incident - 1995

It was very competitive back then and Hayden's record is too good to argue. Besides you're arguing about a technical deficiency Hayden had...what you're arguing here refers more to form.
Firstly that youtube clip potentially is a bit misleading since that C&B series match was in 94/95. McGrath technically didn't peak as bowler until the WI Tour in 95.

Plus i'm sure you will be able to dig up some scorecard from a domestic game with QSL vs NSW where he may have scored a hundred vs McGrath. I did say in that post that FC cricket in AUS in 90s was definately as competitve as tests.

But what about the runs vs the touring teams?. As the example i gave with Cartlon Baugh over even Alastair Cook during the 05 Ashes, scoring runs againts a touring team is not the best guide, since that team could have very well have been playing on low intensity.

Facts is you can't seriously believe the Hayden you saw in the 90s was the same batsman when he came back in 2001.

Wrong though, facing India in India was at that time was about as hard as anywhere. In fact, even Richie boy doesn't demean his performances there...that's why you never hear Richard talk about Hayden playing great quality spin - he certainly showed himself there.
I said runs againts quality pace attacks in bowler friendly conditions in that period. His ability againts the spinners was never in doubt. Between Mumbai 01 to Cairns 04 he smoked average pace attacks on flat decks - no debates.

Hayden went 15 tests without a century there, it was more than a bit bad - he averaged around 30 IIRC.
Yes he indeed went into a trott between Bangalore 04 to Wellington 05. But at the same time in few tests vs PAK & NZ - he was expossed technically to swinging ball into his pads - the first time since ENG 01.

He only faced Mills in 1 inning and got the better of Akhtar in what only a looney would call favourable batting conditions.
Check it back. Off my head right now i'm very sure Akhtar dismissed Hayden about 3 times in 4 innings, Hayden was all at sea to Akhtar bowling full & straight at high pace swinging back into his pads.

When you're arguing Kyle Mills exposed Hayden in 1 inning yet ignore that S.African series...that says it all really.
Mills is a swing bowler, he swings the new ball red or white & had the ability to swing the ball into the pads of left-handers - thus he got Hayden. As i said above the SA 01/02 attack has to be ignored since none of those bowlers had that ability.

Plus as i mentioned in previous post SA attack of 05/06 & 07/08 was better. Especially 05/06 where Hayden had seamer friendly conditions to counter & he clearly had erased that technical flaw from the past.

LOL. I've never heard such glaring technical deficiencies being fixed in a MONTH in 3-4 tests. If they were that easy to overcome, surely he would have done so in the 90s ;).
Well he did it, which shows why he is great player. Since as i said before such a technical & mental adjustment could end careers.

Hayden was just rank bad and out of form prior and during this series. You're taking too many liberties here.
Already explained this above.

All in all, technique is only a means to an end. What bothers me most about some cricket fans is when people talk about them as if they are hard and fast scientific rules.
Hardly any batsman in history has ever had a perfect technique. But those batmsen with the least technical flaws, surely would be most likely to survive & score runs againts a quality pace attack - vs a batsman who is not so technically sound.

You want to talk about techniques...look at Sehwag. Yet he did awesome against both McGrath and Warne. Yet had he not played them some would say "had he played in that era he could never have scored against them, and Atherton is better". :laugh:
Haa well i wont say that. Although i would say Sehwag wouldn't average 50 if he played in 90s & Atherton would definately have averaged 45+ in this 2000s era. Plus i'd back Atherton to survive and score hundreds againts a testing pace attack than Sehwag.

At the end of day Ikki dawg we both clearly agree that Hayden is great & is one of the best openers of all-time & i presume you like me would have him opening for the AUS ATXI. It just seems here that means by which we have come to this conclusion about his greatness, is slightly different. But no prob..

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it is clear to anyone who watched or followed it that the real demonstration of Hayden's abilities came in SA in 05/06. Three greentops against a very strong attack on their home turf and he was the standout batsman in the first two games.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it is clear to anyone who watched or followed it that the real demonstration of Hayden's abilities came in SA in 05/06. Three greentops against a very strong attack on their home turf and he was the standout batsman in the first two games.
Doesn't count because none apparently of the SA bowlers of the time could swing the ball, etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've said a fair few times actually that Hayden was always an exceptional player of spin during the time I saw him - one of the very best you're likely to see. He had all the tools you need to play spin well - massive stride, good control of the sweep shot, deft footwork, great eye, the ability to avoid getting the bat tangled with the pad when the ball was bowled slowly, and great power to allow even a mishit to carry far. But none of that excellence against spin has a thing to do with how good or otherwise he was against seam, and in that series in India in 2000/01 there was nothing whatsoever for seam, same way there wasn't in most Tests Australia played from 2001/02 onwards.

BTW don't use terms like "Richie boy" if you want to avoid trouble with moderators, because deliberate attempts to be patronising aren't looked upon too well on CW.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doesn't count because none apparently of the SA bowlers of the time could swing the ball, etc.
Takes quite some brass neck in my book to describe any of those decks as "green-tops". Yes there were times in all of the games where they seamed, but mostly that happened when SA were batting, not Aus. They were certainly not the sort of deck that seamed around all game and allowed a fair contest between bat and ball and each team.

And are you actually telling me that any of Pollock, Ntini and Nel were particularly swing bowlers? Yes, all of them could swing the ball, but it was fairly rare. I'm not making any claim about anything based on that BTW, merely asking if you're suggesting that any of them were big swingers?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Takes quite some brass neck in my book to describe any of those decks as "green-tops". Yes there were times in all of the games where they seamed, but mostly that happened when SA were batting, not Aus. They were certainly not the sort of deck that seamed around all game and allowed a fair contest between bat and ball and each team.

And are you actually telling me that any of Pollock, Ntini and Nel were particularly swing bowlers? Yes, all of them could swing the ball, but it was fairly rare. I'm not making any claim about anything based on that BTW, merely asking if you're suggesting that any of them were big swingers?
Excuse me sir, we went through this before, i'm still waiting on you to take up the challenge...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe at some point I will; as I say though, right now I have far better things to be doing with my time.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, of course. The decks changed into to raging green seamers only when SA had bats in their hands. How silly of me.

Yes I watched the series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe at some point I will; as I say though, right now I have far better things to be doing with my time.
Ha ya better hurry up uncle. Cause you see now Top_Cat making a mess of your argument about what occured vs SA 05/06.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, of course. The decks changed into to raging green seamers only when SA had bats in their hands. How silly of me.

Yes I watched the series.
So did I, and they didn't change into "raging green seamers" but they certainly did seam and bounce unevenly at times during each game and not seam and bounce quite truly at others. And mostly the Australians got the best of the conditions, same way mostly England got the best of conditions in the 2009 Ashes. Because yes, sometimes the cookie does crumble in favour of one side to a considerable extent.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'll try keep it short:

1) Glad you're not arguing whether SA were in form leading upto the series, but disagree with you that they didn't have the artillery. They clearly did for mine.

2) True, Donald went to crap in the Australian series but, as I said before, the form the Aussie batsmen were in they were going to run anybody into the ground. I choose to believe that Donald simply met with too much firepower than to think he went to crap in 1 series. The reason I do that is because Donald was also injured consistently and nearing the end of his career. Whilst he deteriorated, he never got shellacked to that extent. That's why I mention the averaging-higher-than-30s in a series thing. For he wasn't fully fit for many of those series but you have to go all the way back to 99 to see him average above 30 for a series.

3) Pollock was better than McGrath upto that point. Pollock had something McGrath didn't: Pace. And Richard mentions high-quality SEAM as well as SWING. So that's why I bring up Pollock.

As for the pitches being flat...please. Even if we take Richard's arbitrary starting point of sept 2001 as when pitches became flat, that series was played in dec 2001. So unless you think in the matter of a couple months all pitches became flat as pancakes you're simply wrong. Also, Australia became flatter much more in the mid-00s not the beginning.

And if you're saying McGrath could get the pitch talking then so could have Pollock.

4) Kyle Mills is hardly the standard-bearer for swing bowlers and furthermore 1 innings is hardly a sample to prove anything. And while Akhtar did well against Hayden, (they only played against each other 3-4 times), Hayden scored runs against him in the worst conditions for a batsman when most were struggling to get into double-figures. Hayden averages 40+ against Akhtar which is hardly poor. Factor also in that his 100 against him is worth much more than it is on face value.

5) Since, McGrath hit the ground running it really doesn't matter where you wish to look in his career. In another thread I actually went through, year by year, when Hayden played McGrath and it was only a handful of matches (4-5) but IIRC Hayden averaged above 50 against him. So if you're going to make any black and white generalisations about his technique, such a feat should be impossible.

6) Sorry, you can't prove something like that conclusively with only 7 tests as your sample. Especially, if you're judging subjectively. Players start off nervously, they adjust at a different pace, they respond negatively when taken out of familiarity...there can be any sort of non-technical reasons to fail that would impact upon how you would play.

Look how Warne started his career, imagine if he was dropped in his first 2-3 series. You're generalising WAY too much.

7) Hayden was rank bad before the Ashes, and no he did not suddenly fix his flaws. It was totally a form issue. Hayden in the oval looked antsy but was the most conservative I'd ever seen him. He did not really fix any flaw other than just playing less aggressively and choosing his shots better.

In fact, once he got back to form he was the same. He would still come down to face bowlers and plant his front foot. Just watch the ODIs where Praveen Kumar was swinging it wildly and how Hayden played him.

8) I agree, we simply have a different take on his career and we have interpreted different events in a different way. That's fine.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even if we take Richard's arbitrary starting point of sept 2001 as when pitches became flat
Glad you've decided to recognise the starting point of September 2001 rather than January 2000, 2 years after it was first made mind-numbingly obvious. Long may that recognition continue.
Kyle Mills is hardly the standard-bearer for swing bowlers and furthermore 1 innings is hardly a sample to prove anything.
Mills dismissed Hayden with nip-backers at least 4-5 times in 2004/05, he just got continuously denied by poor Umpiring so thus it only actually went down in the scorebook once.
Hayden scored runs against him in the worst conditions for a batsman when most were struggling to get into double-figures.
Those conditions in Sharjah in 2002/03 were not bad for batting at all. Most seamers could barely bowl; the pitches offered little to seam or spin. So however many times you say it, the heat disadvantaged bowlers far more than batsmen. Purely and simply, such conditions are completely inappropriate for cricket.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Glad you've decided to recognise the starting point of September 2001 rather than January 2000, 2 years after it was first made mind-numbingly obvious. Long may that recognition continue.
It won't continue, hence the "even if...". I didn't lose my mind, yet.

Mills dismissed Hayden with nip-backers at least 4-5 times in 2004/05, he just got continuously denied by poor Umpiring so thus it only actually went down in the scorebook once.
And say he got him out in the first try? 1 inning. Get over it. Many batsmen have look lost...especially when they are terribly out of form. Ponting looks hopeless against Harbhajan and great against Murali.

Those conditions in Sharjah in 2002/03 were not bad for batting at all. Most seamers could barely bowl; the pitches offered little to seam or spin. So however many times you say it, the heat disadvantaged bowlers far more than batsmen. Purely and simply, such conditions are completely inappropriate for cricket.
The bowlers were cleaning up, despite the fact that it was harsh weather. Akhtar is a swing-bowler, anyway, so your "pitch" doesn't really matter. Hayden proving his credentials there when most were struggling to get into double figures.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would have to agree with Richard about Sharjah. The pitch was another flat deck, their was no swing for Akhtar to exploit - he wsn't bowling at the same pace & venom that ran trhough AUS in the 1st test of that series - even Lee wasn't hitting 90 mph for AUS.

Yea Hayden batted superbly in conditions that where super hot for both batsman, bowlers & fielders - great exhibiton of stamina etc. But PAK where just horrific in that test, worst batting performance i have seen in a test by a major team outside Bangladesh.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You obviously didn't watch the match. There was swing there to exploit for both Akhtar and Younis. But they got no joy and it was Razzaq that got into our order, and he definitely was swinging it. Hayden was out there batting for more than 7 hours. The conditions were worse for him more than anybody else. No batsman in that test passed 50; the 2nd highest was Ponting on 44. Yet Hayden grinded out 119. Whilst Pakistan crumbled, Australia herself barely made it past 300.

Also, whilst I know we are referring to Tests, Hayden averages 70 against Akhtar in ODIs.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
3) Pollock was better than McGrath upto that point. Pollock had something McGrath didn't: Pace. And Richard mentions high-quality SEAM as well as SWING. So that's why I bring up Pollock.

And if you're saying McGrath could get the pitch talking then so could have Pollock.
Pollock was never faster nor better than McGrath at their peaks during the late 90s & up to 2001. McGrath also was always better than Pollock on flat pitches, since McGrath had the ability to reverse swing.

On flat decks Pollock was forced to become a metronone, see Adelaide 97 & Faisalabad 03.

As for the pitches being flat...please. Even if we take Richard's arbitrary starting point of sept 2001 as when pitches became flat, that series was played in dec 2001. So unless you think in the matter of a couple months all pitches became flat as pancakes you're simply wrong. Also, Australia became flatter much more in the mid-00s not the beginning.
Not sure whats the relevance in highlighting the period (which i think is accurate) when pitches & great bowlers worldwide became a paucity in sept 2001. But the pitches over those 6 tests where flat - struggle to see how you can say otherwise.

5) Since, McGrath hit the ground running it really doesn't matter where you wish to look in his career.
It does matter, since the youtube video of the match occured when McGrath had not peaked as fast bolwer as yet. His legacy as a great bowler, didn't begin until the WI tour in 95.

In another thread I actually went through, year by year, when Hayden played McGrath and it was only a handful of matches (4-5) but IIRC Hayden averaged above 50 against him. So if you're going to make any black and white generalisations about his technique, such a feat should be impossible.
I'd like to see the list of those matches still. But I'm not not generalising, as i said i dont believe its right to use domestic performances againts state teams & touring teams as a SOLID guide to Hayden's ability to play quality pace/swing bowling in the 90s. When he clearly did look out of his depth in the 7 test he played.

I remember SJS once did something similar with runs Viv Richards scored in domestic matches vs Marshall & company & his record was fairly poor. Look at the difference here - thats why its dangerous argument to put your head on block for. You can only use international runs as a solid guide, regardless of how strong & competitive domesitc matches in AUS where during the 90s.

6) Sorry, you can't prove something like that conclusively with only 7 tests as your sample. Especially, if you're judging subjectively. Players start off nervously, they adjust at a different pace, they respond negatively when taken out of familiarity...there can be any sort of non-technical reasons to fail that would impact upon how you would play.
Yea or they when they start off they are out of their depth - which is tend to believe Hayden was in those initial tests during the 90s. Same thing goes for Langer & Martyn.

Do you really believe that Hayden in 90s was the same all-round batsman as he was when he came back & had that superb series in IND 2001?

One thing is for sure, Hayden didn't have the ability to play spin in the 90s as he did before the 01 series. I'm sure you have heard the stories that Hayden a few years before 2001, had gone to IND with a AUS academeny/development side - & there is where he learnt to play spin.

Looking back also i'm not even sure in 90s if many people reckoned Hayden was better than Matt Elliot either, based on just seeing them in international cricket.

Look how Warne started his career, imagine if he was dropped in his first 2-3 series. You're generalising WAY too much.
Big difference was that Hayden was picked based on very good FC performances & failed. Warne picked on raw talent, so even if Warne was dropped during his early days for lack of performances, i don't believe the cricket world would have robbed of the great Shane Warne.

You obviously didn't watch the match. There was swing there to exploit for both Akhtar and Younis. But they got no joy and it was Razzaq that got into our order, and he definitely was swinging it. Hayden was out there batting for more than 7 hours. The conditions were worse for him more than anybody else. No batsman in that test passed 50; the 2nd highest was Ponting on 44. Yet Hayden grinded out 119. Whilst Pakistan crumbled, Australia herself barely made it past 300.
Come on Ikki. Firstly based on what i remember their was no swing in my recollection of that test (we can use cricinfo reports to vindicate this if you like). Plus conditions in that part of the world are never as condusive for quality swing bowling like in ENG for example where Hayden had his struggles in 01 & 05 (first 4 tests).

But that was a poor PAK pace attack either way. Yea maybe they bowled well on the day, just like how Daren Powell/Edwards/Bravo reduced AUS to 17/5 in a test in 2008. But its obvious Waqar was wayyyyyyy passed his peak come in 2002, Razzaq was never much of a test bowler. It was just Akhtar, who given the heat was hardly steaming in like in the previous test when he took that superb 5 wicket haul.

All you can say about his hundred then was that it was a great innings of stamina by Hayden in unfit cricket conditions. The PAK attack was not one that tested or could have testd him technically in any lifetime.

8) I agree, we simply have a different take on his career and we have interpreted different events in a different way. That's fine.
Yes. none of us would go as far as to say Ian Redpath is better than Hayden as Richard has claimed before.

Facts is we disagree about how Hayden's career has evolved from the mid 90s to the 05 Ashes. But we have come to same conclusion on his greatness.

The key argument now is Hayden's performances from Oval 05 to end of his career. Specifically runs vs SA 05/06 & IND 07/08, where Richard has claimed based on what he saw they where not bowler friendly & none of the bowlers had the ability to test Hayden technically.

I have told him lets use cricinfo reports to end this Hayden debate once & for all (he says he will take it up when he gets free time from University work). Since its clear most people who saw the tests vs SA 05/06 especially would agree unanimously that the pitches where bowler friendly & Hayden had improved technically from his past woes.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Pollock was never faster nor better than McGrath at their peaks during the late 90s & up to 2001. McGrath also was always better than Pollock on flat pitches, since McGrath had the ability to reverse swing.

On flat decks Pollock was forced to become a metronone, see Adelaide 97 & Pak 03.
Yes, he was, he was very fast and lost pace due to injuries and age. In the specific period, he had a better record than McGrath everywhere and especially so in the sub-continent.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

You are simply wrong on this account. IIRC you didn't watch much of the cricket in the 90s and that's probably the problem here.

Not sure whats the relevance in highlighting the period (which i think is accurate) when pitches & great bowlers worldwide became a paucity in sept 2001. But the pitches over those 6 tests where flat - struggle to see how you can say otherwise.
Because it's simply your word against mine then and highlighting the trend of the pitches in said period shows how less likely it is that you are right.

It does matter, since the youtube video of the match occured when McGrath had not peaked as fast bolwer as yet. His legacy as a great bowler, didn't begin until the WI tour in 95.
McGrath has kept a pretty steady record throughout his career. It's hard to actually pick out a specific peak. When McGrath was not considered upto the standard of Donald, Wasim and Ambrose in the 90s, he had pretty much the same record that he had in the 00s. Although the main difference is that it was harder to bowl in the 00s.

I'd like to see the list of those matches still. But I'm not not generalising, as i said i dont believe its right to use domestic performances againts state teams & touring teams as a SOLID guide to Hayden's ability to play quality pace/swing bowling in the 90s. When he clearly did look out of his depth in the 7 test he played.

I remember SJS once did something similar with runs Viv Richards scored in domestic matches vs Marshall & company & his record was fairly poor. Look at the difference here - thats why its dangerous argument to put your head on block for. You can only use international runs as a solid guide, regardless of how strong & competitive domesitc matches in AUS where during the 90s.
I am not suggesting the domestic matches are definitive. Many, like a Warne for example, would come and play it only a few matches every so often and not full-heartedly either.

But you are arguing a technical weakness here which McGrath would have found quite easily. But he didn't, Hayden regularly got the better of him - and of most of the bowlers too.

Yea or they when they start off they are out of their depth - which is tend to believe Hayden was in those initial tests during the 90s. Same thing goes for Langer & Martyn.

Do you really believe that Hayden in 90s was the same all-round batsman as he was when he came back & had that superb series in IND 2001?

One thing is for sure, Hayden didn't have the ability to play spin in the 90s as he did before the 01 series. I'm sure you have heard the stories that Hayden a few years before 2001, had gone to IND with a AUS academeny/development side - & there is where he learnt to play spin.

Looking back also i'm not even sure in 90s if many people reckoned Hayden was better than Matt Elliot either, based on just seeing them in international cricket.
That's actually not my point. My point is that whatever you wish to make out of his career, you can't generalise so much based on 12 innings worth in the 90s. You're trying to pinpoint some concrete technical deficiency when as I mention many players look all out at sea at the start of Test cricket.

Maybe Hayden was not as good as he was post 2000 but then again he didn't get the chance to show it. So either way, that's not something I wish to argue.

Big difference was that Hayden was picked based on very good FC performances & failed. Warne picked on raw talent, so even if Warne was dropped during his early days for lack of performances, i don't believe the cricket world would have robbed of the great Shane Warne.
It doesn't really matter; FC record is just one more notch on the resume. Warne didn't have a poor first year and then a good second one because he played FC cricket; he was just out of his element.

Come on Ikki. Firstly based on what i remember their was no swing in my recollection of that test (we can use cricinfo reports to vindicate this if you like). Plus conditions in that part of the world are never as condusive for quality swing bowling like in ENG for example where Hayden had his struggles in 01 & 05 (first 4 tests).
Actually, as I was googling for pieces on the match there is specific mention of Razzaq outswinging Martyn out. There was swing; sure Waqar was past his best but Shoaib wasn't. In fact he did very well in the first match of that series. Saqlain was still pretty good though and that makes for a decent attack, especially in those conditions. Their batting really let them down, but that's not to say that because Australia made runs it was easy. It certainly wasn't. In that whole series there were really only 2 run-filled innings.

I have told him lets use cricinfo reports to end this Hayden debate once & for all (he says he will take it up when he gets free time from University work). Since its clear most people who saw the tests vs SA 05/06 especially would agree unanimously that the pitches where bowler friendly & Hayden had improved technically from his past woes.
I agree with you in that argument.

Where I don't agree with you is making blanket and wide generalisations about Hayden's deficiencies. Cricket has evolved, especially in this decade, and you get people like Sehwag who you'd not back with that kind of approach and technique to make runs but he does. In the end, technique is a means to an end. Nothing more, nothing less.

The reality is, there are very few batsmen who have come out trumps against high quality seam and swing consistently. They may do it for a series here or there but on the whole they usually do not have great records against an attack that does this consistently. I find this argument where people single out Hayden just too hard to swallow. Firstly, there just isn't enough proof to conclusively say anything, secondly, as aforesaid, it goes against so many other batsmen too.

I am one of those fans who thinks a great in one era is perfectly capable to be a great in another era. In my mind, Hayden could have stayed on in the 90s and he would still be the best opener of his generation, because I don't doubt his determination nor his talent.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach

On flat decks Pollock was forced to become a metronone, see Adelaide 97 & Faisalabad 03..
Did you watch any of Pollock before 2001? The idea that he wasn't faster than McGrath belies belief really and the idea that McGrath 'always had the ability to reverse swing the ball' is more far fetched than anything I have ever heard.