• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Richardson to retire?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Thats sad, but Im pretty confident he'll do well at anything he tries his hand at in the media, he's made for it.

Craig

World Traveller
cric_manic said:
A backward step to go to people who weren't that successfull at all.

Jamie How and Michael Papps for me, inexperienced yes, but it isn't as though there are heaps of viable options going around?

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
what about hamish marshall? his 50 at the dome was a very good one. looks a lot like mills though...

nzidol

School Boy/Girl Captain
Crazy Sam said:
what about hamish marshall? his 50 at the dome was a very good one. looks a lot like mills though...
you mean their haircut im guessing. cos mills is about a foot taller.
How or papps will come in to partner sinclair.
if how makes big runs in the next game it would be hard to turn him down.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Crazy Sam said:
what about hamish marshall?

That's a thought that came to me.

Sure, he's not done it before, but neither had eg Sehwag, or Stewart (for a long time into his career)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Im pretty sure it will be Sinclair and Papps opening.

Howe and Cumming will fighting for that other spot though Ide say, as I dont see Sinclair making a good fist of opening. Really, Sinclair should be batting 4. It would solve a few problems, including Sinclair's obvious weakness against the new ball, and the fact that NZ have number 6 batsmen going from 4 all the way down to 8 or 9. But, with Richardson retiring, Sinclair will have to be opening, for one more series at least.

As for Marshall, well, I think it might be worth a try. As it has been pointed out in other threads, most of his dismissals are to the slower bowlers with the softer ball, so where better to bat him? But Bracewell has made it clear to us that he hasnt noticed his spin weakness, by batting him at #5 in ODIs..

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:

Sure, he's not done it before, but neither had eg Sehwag, or Stewart (for a long time into his career)
But don't you think that would be only a short term option though, or on the surface a lot like Lou Vincent ended up?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:

And most people who try opening (AFAIK Stewart preferred opening just about from the time he picked-up a bat) having never done it before fail miserably.
Trying to convert middle-order players to openers doesn't often work.
Just naming the examples of where it has is akin to saying "so-and-so's figures are terrible if you remove all the balls that have taken wickets".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cric_manic said:
M.Bell or M.Horne should replace richardson
If Horne plays Test-cricket again I'll be amazed (I wouldn't say I'd eat my computer, though - too much experience of New Zealand selectors).
If Bell plays again I'll sit with my head in hands for at least 5 minutes. How on Earth such a terrible player got to Test-level, let alone scored a century and 2 half-centuries is totally beyond me, and if they give him yet another chance they've lost their minds.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
Just about to mention him. Considering no-one else has he must be doing REALLY bad
If he is it's not like it's too out-of-the-ordinary, is it?

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
And most people who try opening (AFAIK Stewart preferred opening just about from the time he picked-up a bat) having never done it before fail miserably.
Trying to convert middle-order players to openers doesn't often work.
Just naming the examples of where it has is akin to saying "so-and-so's figures are terrible if you remove all the balls that have taken wickets".
Ok Richard out of interest, who would you pick as an opener that realistically going to get picked (ie Matt Horne is not).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Not really, he's been hinting at it for a couple of weeks.
Yet it's not been mentioned anywhere on big websites.
(All right, some Kiwi papers\Ceefax might have given it some coverage, I don't know).
No, it wasn't a Hussain-like shock, but I'm still pretty impressed at the prediction of some Kiwi correspondents on here, given as I say the lack of any real guesses on the part of those supposedly big boys.

twctopcat

International Regular
Craig said:
Sadly his (im)famous 100m sprints are now going to end :cry:
I hope they bring out a dvd of his sprinting feats, will inspire generations to come. :D
Seriously though great player, i liked watching him bat, was a refreshing change.
Struck me as a surprise though, taking after nass i suppose!