• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man Of The Tournament - Wc 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

International 12th Man
McGrath:

8 matches, 17 wickets, average 12.12, SR 21.76, econ 3.34.

Just to point out that he HAS done something in this world cup!!

I would still pick Tendulkar.

Honourable mentions; Vaas, Bichel, Davison.

krkode

State Captain
True, Bazza, McGrath may be a close running contender, but I think the Man of the Series is more for the person who has changed his team's fortunes. I don't think McGrath has really changed Australia's fortunes, he hasn't really "saved" them or won them a match that was thought "unwinnable"

In that perspective, Tendulkar, Vaas, and Bichel come to the top of my mind :P

Same reason why Klusner got it last time - he had literally changed SA's fortunes in that WC, same reason why DeSilva got it in 1996.:P

Legglancer

State Regular
krkode said:

Same reason why Klusner got it last time - he had literally changed SA's fortunes in that WC, same reason why DeSilva got it in 1996.:P

Well Krkode De Silva did not win the "Man of the Series" in 1996 ... It was Jayasuriya.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It has to be Tendulkar unless he fails dramatically both in the semi and (hopefully we will get there)the final.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
True, Bazza, McGrath may be a close running contender, but I think the Man of the Series is more for the person who has changed his team's fortunes. I don't think McGrath has really changed Australia's fortunes, he hasn't really "saved" them or won them a match that was thought "unwinnable"

In that perspective, Tendulkar, Vaas, and Bichel come to the top of my mind :P

Can you stop using ":P"s...they really are getting annoying :!(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Agreed here Neil.

Man of the Series has to be him.

Player of the series however isn't! ;)
"Martyr of the tournament", maybe! not player of the tournament.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anilramavarma said:
"Martyr of the tournament", maybe! not player of the tournament.
Man of the Tournament to me reads the biggest "man" in it.

For his actions, Olonga has proven himself to be a far bigger man than any other player in it.

However, he by no means qualifies for any player of the Tournament accolades (partly due to his stance meaning he's hardly got on the field?)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Man of the Tournament to me reads the biggest "man" in it.

For his actions, Olonga has proven himself to be a far bigger man than any other player in it.

However, he by no means qualifies for any player of the Tournament accolades (partly due to his stance meaning he's hardly got on the field?)
I too appreciate the brave stance that Olonga has taken and wish him all the best. However, even if he had played, I am pretty sure he wouldn't have been even "Player of Zimbabwe" forget "Player of the WC". Also, his gesture was a result of conditions in his country which provoked him to action, protest etc....The other players in the other teams aren't facing the same situations in their own countries, so they haven't done anything half as dramatic, should that mean that they aren't man enough as Olonga? Methinks that's is a wrong conclusion to make. If you call him, "Man of Zimbabwe" or something like that, it makes more sense because what he did was 100% political, and nothing to do with cricket even though he chose a cricketing arena to do it.

krkode

State Captain
Man of the Tournament is given, not to the biggest "Man" of the cricketers, but the biggest "Man" on the field :P That's how I look at it. You come up with daring, match saving performances for your team and you get them far, you're in my book for MoS :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
anilramavarma said:
The other players in the other teams aren't facing the same situations in their own countries, so they haven't done anything half as dramatic, should that mean that they aren't man enough as Olonga? Methinks that's is a wrong conclusion to make. If you call him, "Man of Zimbabwe" or something like that, it makes more sense because what he did was 100% political, and nothing to do with cricket even though he chose a cricketing arena to do it.
The fact that other players didn't make the stand that Olonga did makes me think that he is more of a man. I think that's a very fair assumption too.

Also, the fact that he did it on a cricketing arena doesn't detract from it's admirable quality. Where else could Olonga make such a statement and be heard? He's a cricketer so why not use the only effective means you know of to relay a point?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
Man of the Tournament is given, not to the biggest "Man" of the cricketers, but the biggest "Man" on the field :P That's how I look at it. You come up with daring, match saving performances for your team and you get them far, you're in my book for MoS :D
But what about the person or people who make the largest effort to save their country? Andy Flower and Henry Olonga would get that any day.

krkode

State Captain
Well sure they can get a Medal of Honor, or the Bravery Award, or the Honorary Honorable person award but why the Man of the Series for the cricket world cup?:yawn:

I agree that what Flower and Olonga said was revolutionary. They said their mind essentially sacrificing their careers, because they loved their country more than they loved to play cricket. And that's important. They are two great men. But there are greater players.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The fact that other players didn't make the stand that Olonga did makes me think that he is more of a man. I think that's a very fair assumption too.
You mean, the other players of the Zimbabwean team? Maybe, he and Andy are more men than they are. Why should the other teams go for any such gestures? How does it count against them that they went there and played a game of cricket? That doesn't mean that they support Mugabe. It just means that they recognise the situation as Zimbabwe's internal business, they are professional cricketers playing for their country and they just did their job. For Olonga and Flower, it was personal and they expressed it personally.

Also, the fact that he did it on a cricketing arena doesn't detract from it's admirable quality. Where else could Olonga make such a statement and be heard? He's a cricketer so why not use the only effective means you know of to relay a point?
I am fine with the "admirable quality" bit. In fact, did you read my previous post before making this reply? I said, he might more appropriately be called "Man of Zimbabwe" or something. Under what criteria can he be named "Man of the tournament"? He has hardly played in this WC, is known as an average player at best on the strength of his performances so far. That honor should go to a player who has distinguished himself in the tournament, otherwise, it's just plain unfair. It should not go to Olonga just because he chose to make a controversial political statement in a cricket field and got punished for it(I hope you understand that I am not questioning the justice of his actions).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
krkode said:
Well sure they can get a Medal of Honor, or the Bravery Award, or the Honorary Honorable person award but why the Man of the Series for the cricket world cup?:yawn:

I agree that what Flower and Olonga said was revolutionary. They said their mind essentially sacrificing their careers, because they loved their country more than they loved to play cricket. And that's important. They are two great men. But there are greater players.
Precisely!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
You're getting confused here.

If you're looking for the best performer then you want the player of the Tournament.

Man of the Tournament has to go to the biggest man, and Olonga wins that hands down for his stance.

Player of the Tournament would probably be someone like Tendulkar because Aus have had a team effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.