• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malcolm Marshall vs Jack Hobbs

Better Player

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall was a better batsman than Hobbs was a bowler.

But Hobbs was a better fielder.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Both nearly equally good in primary discipline. But that Hobbs dominated the pre war era to an extent that no one did in any era except Bradman. So marginally him

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Both nearly equally good in primary discipline. But that Hobbs dominated the pre war era to an extent that no one did in any era except Bradman. So marginally him
Pretty much that. The extent by which Marshall was ahead of Holding or Garner is lesser than by what Hobbs ahead of the second best.

Hobbs maybe. Though, not really because of him being head and shoulders above the contemporaries as he had to be above ATVG batsman rather than ATG. I would say their peak is actually very close but Hobbs has the longevity. So, would go for Hobbs.

Sunil1z

International Regular
This forum can be extremely confusing sometimes. We are being told that Hobbs is better player than Marshall.

I would gladly trade both Tendulkar and Dravid to WI . And have Pujara + Kohli + Laxman to be our middle order Batsmen . Marshall and Bumrah to be our opening fast bowlers .

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
This forum can be extremely confusing sometimes. We are being told that Hobbs is better player than Marshall.

I would gladly trade both Tendulkar and Dravid to WI . And have Pujara + Kohli + Laxman to be our middle order Batsmen . Marshall and Bumrah to be our opening fast bowlers .
That's kinda because India have historically struggled in the pace department and have comparatively better MOBs. West Indies could also trade Holding, Garner + Roberts for Ashwin or Australia Lillee, O'Reilly and Davidson for Sutcliffe.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
That's kinda because India have historically struggled in the pace department and have comparatively better MOBs. West Indies could also trade Holding, Garner + Roberts for Ashwin or Australia Lillee, O'Reilly and Davidson for Sutcliffe.
No Sir, that would be a no.

On both fronts.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall for me being the GOAT fast bowler vs Hobbs my 4th best batsman. Even with the openers tax, still Marshall for me.

I have Marshall 3rd And Hobbs I believe 4th or 5th as cricketers. Being one of 4 ATG openers does factors in, but should it? Ummmmm.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty much that. The extent by which Marshall was ahead of Holding or Garner is lesser than by what Hobbs ahead of the second best.
You're comparing one of the two best eras for fast bowlers to an era which was at the beginning of his career the infancy of test cricket. Not a valid comparison I would argue.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
You're comparing one of the two best eras for fast bowlers to an era which was at the beginning of his career the infancy of test cricket. Not a valid comparison I would argue.
If you had to rate Marshall out of 100 as the perfect pacer and Hobbs as the perfect bat, what scores would you give?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Curious why Australia won't trade for a significantly better opener though.
Not for tour 2nd best pacer, your 4th best pacer and the 3rd greatest spinner of all time.

Straight up Davidson for Sutcliffe or Grimmett for Sutcliffe. England needs either just as badly.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Not for tour 2nd best pacer, your 4th best pacer and the 3rd greatest spinner of all time.

Straight up Davidson for Sutcliffe or Grimmett for Sutcliffe. England needs either just as badly.
That's a different trade. And well, Grum or Davidson for Sutcliffe; when Australia is the one needing an opener; is kinda......