• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahela's knock

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Was an awesome innings. Really felt helpless when he was batting. I was watching the match at a theater with around 400 people, mostly Indians and you should have heard the applause he got on reaching the century. (His wife got some applause too for her gesticulations to him).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His knock together with Dhoni just shows just how diverse cricket is and that theres no fixed one way that runs can and should be scored in ODIs. Such a fluent knock, brilliant.

salman85

International Debutant
Where does it rate in all-time ODI knocks?
It was a very good knock.But there are far too many other brilliant ODI innings for this to be even considered as an ATG great knock.

Where does it rate in the best World Cup knocks?
Again,too many WC knocks to chose from.Gilchrist,Inzamam,Aravinda,Steve Waugh etc have all played legendary WC innings.I'm not sure if this would be up there with them.The fact that this was not a match winning knock does play against Mahela,but there's not a lot that can be done about that.

And also where does it rate in terms of best knocks in a losing cause (overall or in WCs)?
In overall ODIs It would probably rank high in this list.Not the greatest,but right up there with the best knocks in a losing cause.In WC innings alone,it might have a shot as the best ever in a losing cause,but even that is arguable.

Last edited:

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Only saw part of it but it was magnificent - more art than sport.

Prior to this my favourite brilliant innings in a losing cause (not ODI or WC) was this one, made even more poignant by the fact of chasing and the paucity of quality performance around him. It was truly superb.

The Home of CricketArchive

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would still put it, by a bee's dick, below his knock in Adelaide. For pure batting, it's on par for me but when the situation is taken into account, I put Adelaide ahead because it turned into a famous win a match where everything was against Sri Lanka (to think they nearly forfeited it!).

It's definitely not the best knock in a final and, really, that's a reflection of how good most have been because Jayasuriya's was a gem.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
It rates with Gibbs's ton in the 99 world cup- good but usurped by something miles better at the end of the day

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Awesome... as someone else said, I juz hated every strokefilled, sublimely ridiculous timing of his..

On another note, now is the time for SL to put all their eggs in one basket, and get Mahela to open in limited overs cricket (both ODIs and T20s) along with Dilshan.. You need to give your best players the best options to score runs..