• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahela's knock

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Where does it rate in all-time ODI knocks?

Where does it rate in the best World Cup knocks?

And also where does it rate in terms of best knocks in a losing cause (overall or in WCs)?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You don't see centuries in World Cup finals on a losing side often. Actually, you never see it until today.

So I actually don't think it'll be forgotten any time soon.

It's going to be that knock that will always be mentioned by the commentators whenever Mahela comes out to bat I reckon. No matter the format or series.

I daresay it'll be mentioned a **** load during the IPL.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the best. Let's not forget he didn't make his runs by milking full-tosses and balls on leg-stump, or long hops outside off, he's amazingly good at using the depth of the crease and creating width off perfectly good-looking balls. Exceptional knock.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He barely took a risk all innings to, yet scored so briskly.

Gorgeous innings.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Gorgeous innings.
Exactly.

Scored at a run a ball or more all innings, yet the only real "slog" he played was arguably the shot to get to his hundred.

R_D

International Debutant

Gorgeous innings.
Yeah was going to say that... It was amazing how he made batting look so easy.

Brilliant knock by him...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Always loved watching him bat and today was one of my favourite innings of his. Fair play to him, don't think there are many more likeable people in cricket than him. A massive shame he was on the losing side.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He showed this sort of batting in the IPL. What I mean by that is this ridiculous ability to score a lot of runs incredibly quickly without slogging or constantly hitting over the top.

Obviously none of those innings compare to doing it in a WC final with your team in trouble, but the signs were there. Even when he came in whilst Sanga was starting to middle his shots, there was something about Mahela today which made me tell my mate that he looked the more threatening batsman.

In a very different way, Dhoni showed a similar thing. Within about 20 balls of Dhoni's innings it was obvious his feet were moving better than the whole tournament, and he was the more valuable wicket than Gambhir, even though he was the "set" batsman and had the runs on the board.

Sometimes you can just tell I guess. Not always right, but it is often evident early when a player is threatening to play a gem.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fairly certain Mahela wasn't part of the concerns for the SL middle order.

Samaraweera and Silva were.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Mahela faced only 88 of 201 balls while he was at the crease. He was absolutely brilliant in getting off strike through the middle to keep his strike rate over a hundred throughout. If someone else at the other end had done the same, Sri Lanka could have shot past 300.

And he did it all without any risk whatsoever - staying there until the end was crucial for allowing Perera the freedom to hit out at the end - not to mention camly putting away bad balls for four and timed his acceleration brillianty.

Genuinely one of the best ODI innings I've ever seen.

Edit: To go nicely with the best T20 hundred I've ever seen, which he scored at Providence in May.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Fantastic knock. He raced to a better than run a ball hundred without anyone noticing the force of his strokeplay. Had an artist's touch to it, quite like what you see in Laxman's batting.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Add him to the long list of SL batsmen whose ODI averages don't come close to doing justice to their ability (Aravinda, Sanath).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Add him to the long list of SL batsmen whose ODI averages don't come close to doing justice to their ability (Aravinda, Sanath).
Sanath's average as an opener does. A mid 30s average is perfectly acceptable for an opener who strikes in the 90s.