• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Luckiest and Unluckiest batsmen

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
Dravid is really unlucky, dunno how many times he has got inside edges
He wasn't too unlucky when Hameed dropped him on 24 and he went on to get 270!!!

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose its also worth noting that a key wicket - the likes of Gilchrist for Australia, Lara for the Windies and Tendulkar for india seem to put extra pressure on umpires. Obviously this shouldn't be the case, but I suppose its human nature for umpires to feel the pressure, whereas if the batsmen are 9,10 and jack and an LBW appeal goes up, the finger often goes up a lot quicker. I really felt for Vettori in the recent test series against Aust, Twice in my opinion in two consective test, Vettori had Gilchrist absolutely plumb LBW very early on in his innings (in fact even the Aussie commentators thought both were out), both occasions Buckner (who I actually always rated up to that point) remained unmoved. Gilchrist on both occasions being the brilliant player he is went on to punish the bowling getting a century in the first test and 70 odd (from memory) in the 2nd. Obviously the fact I'm a NZ fan made in harder to take, and in reality I'm sure had Vettori had the decision go his way, it wouldn't had made any difference to the 2-0 series scoreline.

However it is a good example of how umpires seem affected more when a keywicket is at stake.

In fact to put a humorous spin on it, Perhaps like spectators, umpires love seeing Gilchrist bat, therefore will not give him out unless they have to.

C_C

International Captain
well put zinzan.
which is precisely why i am in favour of technology taking over the umpiring tasks.
I dont care if the technology is a bit flawed or not, what i care about is complete consistency, regardless of which team you are or how much of a newbie/superstar you are.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
I suppose its also worth noting that a key wicket - the likes of Gilchrist for Australia, Lara for the Windies and Tendulkar for india seem to put extra pressure on umpires. Obviously this shouldn't be the case, but I suppose its human nature for umpires to feel the pressure, whereas if the batsmen are 9,10 and jack and an LBW appeal goes up, the finger often goes up a lot quicker. I really felt for Vettori in the recent test series against Aust, Twice in my opinion in two consective test, Vettori had Gilchrist absolutely plumb LBW very early on in his innings (in fact even the Aussie commentators thought both were out), both occasions Buckner (who I actually always rated up to that point) remained unmoved. Gilchrist on both occasions being the brilliant player he is went on to punish the bowling getting a century in the first test and 70 odd (from memory) in the 2nd. Obviously the fact I'm a NZ fan made in harder to take, and in reality I'm sure had Vettori had the decision go his way, it wouldn't had made any difference to the 2-0 series scoreline.

However it is a good example of how umpires seem affected more when a keywicket is at stake.

In fact to put a humorous spin on it, Perhaps like spectators, umpires love seeing Gilchrist bat, therefore will not give him out unless they have to.
A pattern you are not alone in noticing.
I mean, things have moved on from the days when Umpires were occasionally genuinely scared to give WG Grace out, but it's not like the thing's been totally eliminated.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Lucky - Hayden, Dinesh Mongia
Unlucky - Ganga, Katich (dropped), Blewett (countless 99's), Ponting (been bowled in some strange ways)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ganga, unlucky?
The umpteen poor strokes he's used to get himself out don't matter, then?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
He had a lot of talent and a good technique. He deserved more than he got at the start of his career.

Sehwag309

Banned
Richard said:
He wasn't too unlucky when Farhat (or whoever it was) dropped him on 10 and he went on to get 270!!!

It was 24 and it was Hameed. Reason being: he was busy watching dravid bat, Like I said,..all the bad ones clog and become 1 good luck and vice-versa. No one gets away, Karma does take place

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
He had a lot of talent and a good technique. He deserved more than he got at the start of his career.
What did he get at the start of his career?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag309 said:
It was 24 and it was Hameed. Reason being: he was busy watching dravid bat, Like I said,..all the bad ones clog and become 1 good luck and vice-versa. No one gets away, Karma does take place
Karma!!!!!!
Some get more than others - that's not in any doubt once you've taken a close look.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
Well the title's pretty general
Yes, but the expansion below clearly elaborated to show that the idea was batsmen who, while at the crease, have abnormal amounts of good (and occasionally bad) luck.
Not players who the have the fag-end of poor selection.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
I'm sure I must have asked you before but presumably there is no further chance of further recall?
It ain't like anyone's laid claim on the opener's slot - most recently tried was a middle-order player with a First-Class average in the mid-20s.
High 20s actually. :p

Campbell will lead Barbados in the upcoming domestic season. I'd suggest he'd need a monster effort to rise above the claims of Devon Smith, Xavier Marshall, Wavell Hinds and Sherwin Ganga.

Mr Mxyzptlk

James90 said:
Ganga was not unlucky at the start of his career. He was raw and poor. He wasn't anywhere near Test level then, at that age. He's a better player overall now, but still has psychological problems that harm his international game.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Luckiest Australian batsmen:

Langer - the number of times he's plumb lbw (not given) or dropped in the first over of the match is unbelievable. He's also the master of the uncontrolled edge through slips for four. Seems to always play and miss too.

Gilchrist - seems to magically edge the ball to no man's land all the time. Seems not to be given out lbw a lot. Also gets dropped a lot - still remember the Ashes knock where he was dropped 4 times.

Hayden - seems to get dropped a lot too. Gets away with too many lbw's because he stands out of the crease, even when it hits him fairly low down.

I don't think any others are particularly lucky, perhaps Michael Clarke so far in his Test career.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Seems like nearly the entire Australian team is very lucky if you ask me. A lot of decisions go in their favour.