• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking ahead to Season XIV

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Last season was only my second but I enjoyed it way more than my first, felt more involved. Never managed to keep up with grade first time round though I am more active nowadays.

As for a spin academy, it sounds a good plan to me

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
What do you think was done well/poorly last season? We kept to the schedule more IIRC, which rocks.
What would you like to see done differently in the upcoming season? Grade Cricket would be gun.
Recently there has been talk of reviving the Pace Academy and adding a Spin Academy. What is the general reaction to this possibility? Don't really think they're needed tbh, if we have Grade...
What would you like to see involved in these academies?...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would be up for helping with grade if wanted.
Yep, me too. I own ITC but not HODI FWIW. I could buy HODI if I had to though - it'd probably come in useful elsewhere anyway.

I really think Grade is vital for keeping new members interested. Squad sizes are getting pretty large so new registrations can't expect to just waltz into teams. This is fine but they'll soon lose interest and become inactive if they aren't playing at all.

It could probably do with a bit of restructing itself though - the small number of CW players involved in each game makes some of them pretty pointless; we could probably do with a couple less teams.

David

International 12th Man
It could probably do with a bit of restructing itself though - the small number of CW players involved in each game makes some of them pretty pointless; we could probably do with a couple less teams.
IIRC most grade teams had 8-9 Dev league players in them. Which is already a fair few, put more in and when they're all unavailable having to swap players in & out using ITC was just miserable. I will admit that a few less teams would make things easier, simming 5 matches a day can become quite tedious, tbh not sure how Liam & Håkon go through the dev league, what with writing reports etc.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
How about making it a seconds comp with players playing for their Dev League second side...? You'd only have 5/6 teams and people might care a bit more if the teams were tied to Dev Teams.

David

International 12th Man
Was actually thinking perhaps dividing it into two conferences, then having two simmers, 1 for each conference.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
IIRC most grade teams had 8-9 Dev league players in them. Which is already a fair few, put more in and when they're all unavailable having to swap players in & out using ITC was just miserable. I will admit that a few less teams would make things easier, simming 5 matches a day can become quite tedious, tbh not sure how Liam & Håkon go through the dev league, what with writing reports etc.
tbf, Hakon hasn't simmed any substantial Dev League for about 2 seasons.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Dav's second XI idea is pretty cool.

Would have to have fictional players to make up the second XI though (unless each squad is 22-25 strong, obviously ... which won't be happening this season I think).

ash chaulk

International Captain
Dav's second XI idea is pretty cool.

Would have to have fictional players to make up the second XI though (unless each squad is 22-25 strong, obviously ... which won't be happening this season I think).
could just scrap the colts?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Recently there has been talk of reviving the Pace Academy and adding a Spin Academy. What is the general reaction to this possibility? Don't really think they're needed tbh, if we have Grade...
Academies would take place during the offseason.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's why it helps when teams are in early. :ph34r: I can sim the games early and then write the match reports when I get time.
How about making it a seconds comp with players playing for their Dev League second side...? You'd only have 5/6 teams and people might care a bit more if the teams were tied to Dev Teams.
That's a good idea, actually. Less simming time and all.
tbf, Hakon hasn't simmed any substantial Dev League for about 2 seasons.
The plan has been for me to start and see how far I get, rather than me setting out to sim the whole thing.

Mr Mxyzptlk

As has been stated, not enough players for a 6th team. The immediate plan is to bring in a stronger Masters XI squad, hopefully less of a laughing stock.

David

International 12th Man
The only problem with a seconds team is that everyone from the main squad will have to be in it, and afaik ITC only allows you a certain number per squad, after which you have to swap players in & out, which is easy to get around if the same team is picked week in week out. Which it isn't. I found that to be more of a hassle than I wanted.. I'm lazy, granted. I think two conferences would be more practical, with two separate simmers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It shouldn't be a huge issue. 20 players per squad in ITC IIRC, so just put the 15 players most likely to be left out of the first XI (eg. leave out Smith and Cloete from Black) and then 5 non-Dev League players. The rotation should be minimal then.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It shouldn't be a huge issue. 20 players per squad in ITC IIRC, so just put the 15 players most likely to be left out of the first XI (eg. leave out Smith and Cloete from Black) and then 5 non-Dev League players. The rotation should be minimal then.
I would rather a retired CW XI players team than a Master Team also. Although maybe this would be the 6th team in the 2nd XI grade.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I would rather a retired CW XI players team than a Master Team also. Although maybe this would be the 6th team in the 2nd XI grade.
Would be a pretty poor standard team, if we enforced the inactivity rules. Would not be realistic if we didn't enforce the inactivity rules.