• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Live Scoring - Verdict

Verdict

• Excellent

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Good

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Average

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Poor

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Andre

International Regular
Hi all,

As you can see, today is our first day of live scoring.

What is your verdict on it? Any improvements you think we can make?

Cheers,

Andre.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Live Scoring (Since I can't post in the announcements part)

Very good commentry but a few things:

1. The page refreshes every 60 seconds like Cricinfo and just like Cricinfo it shoves you back to the end of the commentry when you are trying to read the previous overs.

2. When a batsman is out it simply says "OUT", why not say how? Eg. "Regulation Edge" or "Wow what a catch by *****"?

Other than that pretty good :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll dispute that a bit, Rik.

I cannot find a dismissal where there isn't a description - either at the time or at the end of the over. I may be wrong, in which case sorry.

As someone who did a stint of the ball-by-ball today, I'll tell you it's not easy. You've got a lot to update - scores, bowling analyses, a ball-by-ball commentary - in real time - and remember this is our first attempt.

Examples in the commentary :

2nd ball - Sweep shot, caught by keeper Sangakarra off de Silva, off the glove, well-made 22. Good bowling change

Wicket: Ponting, caught by Jayasuriya at mid-off, through the shot too early. Ponting out to Vaas for 2.

Wicket: Hayden caught by Tillekaratne at short mid wicket, thick inside edge, good catch. Sluggish 20, second wicket to Vaas

Examples at the end of the over :

6th Ball - OUT
Wicket: Inside edge onto stumps

Wicket: Outside edge to Sangakkara
1st Ball - OUT

That's the first 5 wickets to fall. All the others, I think were during my stint. If any of those haven't got a full description, I personally apologise, but as I said, it ain't easy.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I liked it Andre and I think it went well.

In future is it possible to provide slightly more information in the ball by ball bit? Don't know how pressured it is time wise.

Also will the become used more in future? I assume this is a trial which if successful will continue?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
There were a few in the 1st innings, just "OUT"s, and don't worry it's constructive critisism so that you get the best result. Just trying to help you get the best :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricinfo do a ball-by-ball, but they have a guy whose responsibility is just that - the individual ball-by-ball descriptions. Someone else does the scoring, another fetches the beer and pies, the other essentials which go towards producing a top-notch sporting service.

What we attempted yesterday was very ambitious - one person doing the lot at any a time, the scoring, bowling analyses, descriptions - and (if I say so myself) I think we did a pretty reasonable job for a first go.

We are looking at modifications to the template we are using, but don't feel that there's sufficient time available to test any channges until after the World Cup.

Please bear with us on this - we are aiming to improve the service in future. In the meantime, settle back and enjoy our coverage of the second semi-final and final if you cannot get to a television carrying the game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Does whoever voted "Poor" fancy explaining themselves?

I voted "Good" - as we've said there are bits that need ironing out before it reaches its full potential.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
There were a few in the 1st innings, just "OUT"s, and don't worry it's constructive critisism so that you get the best result. Just trying to help you get the best :)
Point taken and noted - thanks, Rik.

Regarding the 'poor' rating from one subscriber - If you have serious reservations, please let us know. Just email James off-list, let us know what you think the major problems are and we will attempt to rectify them forthwith. If it's just 'mischief-making', you are more than welcome to try it yourself.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Actually Rik, when I reviewed the scoring, I couldn't find any dismissal without a description.
Well I did, maybe they were corrected? Or maybe it was just because I was taking a quick glance at the screen before I left? Anyway, doesn't matter now :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Well I did, maybe they were corrected? Or maybe it was just because I was taking a quick glance at the screen before I left? Anyway, doesn't matter now :)
I did copy and paste the entire commentary (for future reference) - I have subsequently examined it closely - and there were none. (I know I said 'there might be' in previous correspondence on the subject, but dammit I was just being nice and conciliatory).

There were three occasions when the BALL commentary just said 'out' but on each occasion a full description was given in the fall of wicket detail - which gets posted at exactly the same time as the 6 'ball' descriptions but precede them in the displayed thread.

Anyway, neither here nor there. We will try to give as full a description of the fall of wickets as possible.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I just had a peek at your live scoring, Eddie. Considering you are doing it alone, tremendous job, man! Must be quite a strain, concentrating on every single ball and then updating the page with intelligent comments every 60 seconds or every over as the case may be.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
I just had a peek at your live scoring, Eddie. Considering you are doing it alone, tremendous job, man! Must be quite a strain, concentrating on every single ball and then updating the page with intelligent comments every 60 seconds or every over as the case may be.
Eddie? Intelligent? What are you on? ;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Eddie? Intelligent? What are you on? ;)
Let's see you do it then, Rik.:P I can just see it, "And Ganguly completes another miserable hundred against the minnows, Kenya which just confirms his poor form.....":lol: :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm afraid I fell apart during overs 19 and 20 of the Kenyan innings. With thunder rumbling, they were doing an over in 2 minutes. Got the score wrong, forgot to update bowler details. I'd just finished Harbhajan's analysis and realised Yuvraj was already on ball 3

PY

International Coach
I'm sure you can be forgived as it sounds bloody hard, quality details as well as being fairly quick in updating. :)

Lloyd

Caistor Town Cricket Club Moderator
luckyeddie said:
I'm afraid I fell apart during overs 19 and 20 of the Kenyan innings.
I tried watching over 35-end of the Kenyan innings on Teletext, and there were loads of mistakes on there. For example at about over 42-ish they had Yuvraj bowling the over, then it was Srinath, then they decided it was Zaheer after about the second ball.

All they have to do is update the score and the wickets, don't even need to do any commentary.

Don't worry, you did a fine job.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lloyd said:
I tried watching over 35-end of the Kenyan innings on Teletext, and there were loads of mistakes on there. For example at about over 42-ish they had Yuvraj bowling the over, then it was Srinath, then they decided it was Zaheer after about the second ball.

All they have to do is update the score and the wickets, don't even need to do any commentary.

Don't worry, you did a fine job.
Cheers, Lloyd. I'm quietly smug at what you say. It's great that we proved to be superior to Teletext (at only our second go too).

Join us on Sunday for the final - and tell your friends about us.

Lloyd

Caistor Town Cricket Club Moderator
luckyeddie said:

Join us on Sunday for the final - and tell your friends about us.
Yeah, i should think i'll be on here. After all, its not like i'm going to be able to get anywhere near the TV when i want it.. :!(

I'll spread the word.