• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LG Player Rankings

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can't. You can make assumptions on the past based on what turned-out to be the future when you were in the past.

That's a complicated sentance, I know.

I never said I expected them to be a predictive tool, but that's what they try to be. They make a rating-rise\fall based on a player's performance against the supposed stature of an opponent. Just because someone's bowled well for most of the last, say, 20 matches doesn't mean they're going to bowl well in the next one, which the rating-change is going to be based on.

Again, that's a bit complicated... let's try to make an example...

Say, Mr X scores 130 against an attack including Shaun Pollock, Andre Nel and Makhaya Ntini, who are highly rated due to having bowled well of late. But they don't always bowl well and they don't in this game in question. So Mr X scores more rating points than he really deserves, because the strength of his opposition is supposed rather than real.

And you could create an opposite scenario if the attack involved was, say, Fidel Edwards, Tino Best, Jermaine Lawson and Adam Sanford.

As for the attachment... dunno why it's not opening, someone has apparently viewed it.

Fiery

Banned
IMO it's no good guide. For a start, "being the best in The World" is a misnomer. No-one can ever be conclusively that, and for a ranking which allows Stephen Harmison to be dubbed such a thing, well...

If they were called "The LG ICC Form Guides" I'd have less of an issue, it's the fact that they're called "Rankings" that annoys the **** out of me.
Can't see any problem with them at all...in fact I like them. Being ranked no.1 has never automatically tagged a player "the best in The World". Vijay Singh was ranked No 1 for a while but we all still knew who the best player in the world was. And they're not just "Form Guides" really, they take into account the player's entire career. I'm not sure you should let the word "Rankings" rankle (tee hee) you so much. No one is trying to say they should be seen as the be all and end all in assessing a player.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Being ranked no.1 has never automatically tagged a player "the best in The World".
For about the 100,000th time... it might not but it's still an excuse to say "Harmison was the best in The World" or stuff along those lines. And it's that claim that annoys me sufficiently.

Fiery

Banned
For about the 100,000th time... it might not but it's still an excuse to say "Harmison was the best in The World" or stuff along those lines. And it's that claim that annoys me sufficiently.
But no one ever says things like "Harmison was the best in The World" based on having read the rankings. They would say "Harmison was RANKED or RATED the best in the world" if anything. You've made a mole into a mountain for yourself

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Go back and look through a few posts in September 2004.

You'll find many examples (and you would if you listened to the Sky team this winter, too) of the fact that people DID (and almost certainly will continue to) say Harmison was the best, not merely the top-ranked bowler in The World.

Fiery

Banned
Go back and look through a few posts in September 2004.

You'll find many examples (and you would if you listened to the Sky team this winter, too) of the fact that people DID (and almost certainly will continue to) say Harmison was the best, not merely the top-ranked bowler in The World.
Can you do that for me please Richard?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't have a clue how you could get his email, but he's the top mathematician who designed the fomulae for all I$C$C rankings (teams and players), and probably the only one to completely understand them.
Weren't the individual ratings around long before Kendix?