• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

let’s remember some guys

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might just be me but I think Sam Curran has excellent guy potential. Always close to selection but doesn't quite get in unless somebody's injured. Could end up being that guy who rekt India at 20 yo then petered out. Do think he has a bright future but this trajectory would be hilarious.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Arshad Khan is definitely a guy. Bowled classically beautiful off breaks and put together what looks like a pretty reasonable bite-sized Test record by almost exclusively getting selected for Pakistan as a second spinner on turners throughout his career.
Arshad is a great call. Definitely the Pakistani version of SCG MacGill during that timeframe, kept out of the side in favour of Saqlain, Mushtaq & later on Kaneria. Deserved more airtime than he ultimately recieved.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Jack Russell part of anyone's boyz club here? Top shelf 'keeper who's favorite meal during matches was a bowl of corn flakes soaked in warm milk for a prescribed amount of time. Delish.
Used to carry the same used tea bag around the whole season as well, draining it of every last leaf. Legend. One of the greatest pure glovemdn of all time and played a lot of gritty essential knocks for his country. Far too good to be a guy

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Might just be me but I think Sam Curran has excellent guy potential. Always close to selection but doesn't quite get in unless somebody's injured. Could end up being that guy who rekt India at 20 yo then petered out. Do think he has a bright future but this trajectory would be hilarious.
Yeah he's a good allrounder but he's not quite a good bowler or a good batsman (yet), and unfortunately he plays for the same country as Stokes (and Woakes to a lesser extent) which makes such a player kind of redundant.

It's kind of weird to think he doesn't have a FC ton yet. If he makes it in Tests it'll be primarily as a top six bat IMO.

1610581386014.png

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Used to carry the same used tea bag around the whole season as well, draining it of every last leaf. Legend. One of the greatest pure glovemdn of all time and played a lot of gritty essential knocks for his country. Far too good to be a guy
:laugh: Oh Jack, never change! I wasn't aware of his tea-drinking rituals, & actually had to do a quick google to make sure I was remembering his breakfast cereal routine properly. Apparently he insisted on eating weet-bix soaked in milk for exactly eight minutes! WAG.

trundler

Yeah he's a good allrounder but he's not quite a good bowler or a good batsman (yet), and unfortunately he plays for the same country as Stokes (and Woakes to a lesser extent) which makes such a player kind of redundant.

It's kind of weird to think he doesn't have a FC ton yet. If he makes it in Tests it'll be primarily as a top six bat IMO.

View attachment 26801
I don't think his lack of FC centuries of necessarily an indictment on his batting potential at this stage because he's been picked on potential largely and he could end up a vastly different cricketer to what he is now, not that uncommon for half'n'half's like him. His batting is also kinda weird though.

Also I find it really funny that every time he plays he gets a nice 2/60 and people think he can't miss out now surely but then Broad/Anderson/Woakes just slot back in.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This thread was sitting for a week on the first cricket chat page looking so nondescript that I didn't even take a look until now. Is this thread a guy?

Saw a guy the other day on some youtube cricket highlights, got that slight tingling feeling you get when you visit a recess of your brain that has been untouched for a decade or more. This was caused by remembering that stocky floppy haired inswing very medium pace death bowler Paul Hitchcock existed and played several ODIs for New Zealand - I can't have given him a single thought since 2008.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
How bout the wild-man Carl Bulfin? Or perhaps the freckled red-bombshell himself, Nantie Hayward? Both looked like they'd be a nightmare to face when in good nick.

Fatcat Ritchie another candidate. My older brother has a few stories about him, whereas I personally recall him as an awkward-sounding commentator who pretty much filled the Simon O'Donnell role on channel 9 before SO'D graced the box.

trundler