• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lessons for indian team after the indo-pak test series

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I just cannot fail to be amazed at how many people want Kaif in the Test-side.
I mean, yes, Ganguly can't keep playing when he's scoring like this, but come on... there must be heaps of players better than Mohammad Kaif who can be brought in?
Richard, I am keen to know what is it, specificallly that you dont like about Kaif ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
He was an understudy and nothing more- that he got pushed into the role of strike bowler way too soon proved highly counter-productive. He should be dropped an kept out for a really, really long time until he starts getting wickets and runs for Baroda.
agree...but who else would you pick as your strike bowler? the so called indian frontline bowlers of recent years, zaheer, nehra, agarkar etc have all been just too injury-prone as well as woefully inconsistent. pathan, even though he wasn't picking up too many wickets was at least reasonably accurate most of the time....for me, the indian team had no option but to push him to the forefront...i agree that the move has misfired for the most part...but where are the other pace bowlers for india who will replace him?

Swervy

International Captain
SJS said:
Richard, I am keen to know what is it, specificallly that you dont like about Kaif ?

so would I actually...considering I doubt Richard has actually got to watch much of him in test matches....and surely he isnt judging him from how he plays in ODI's :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I actually rate Kaif a good prospect in ODIs, have done ever since his sensational start to his ODI-career (wasn't too impressed with his initial 2 games, played terribly against an exceptionally poor England attack).
No, what I've got against Kaif in Test-matches is that in a country where plenty of batsmen avererage in the 50s in First-Class-cricket he can't even average 40... and he's been playing for 7 years. I've not seen any of his Test-matches but I don't need to; such a poor First-Class average very rarely means nothing.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
No, I actually rate Kaif a good prospect in ODIs, have done ever since his sensational start to his ODI-career (wasn't too impressed with his initial 2 games, played terribly against an exceptionally poor England attack).
No, what I've got against Kaif in Test-matches is that in a country where plenty of batsmen avererage in the 50s in First-Class-cricket he can't even average 40... and he's been playing for 7 years. I've not seen any of his Test-matches but I don't need to; such a poor First-Class average very rarely means nothing.
what.. Richard making judgments about players without watching them play, and not only that, actually criticising people who probably have watched him for wanting him in their team....why am I not surprised???

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably because I know, unlike you and some other people, that a poor First-Class average almost never lies.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Probably because I know, unlike you and some other people, that a poor First-Class average almost never lies.
Come on Richard. I am sure you know that is NOT a UNIVERSAL truth !!