• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann Dropped For Ashes

JC_088

Cricket Spectator
Looks like its the end for Darren Lehmann. Does anyone have the full squad list?
Sad end really, i really hoped he could play in at least one ashes before retiring.

Kumar_42

Cricket Spectator
yeh poor lehmann. He certainly was very talented. I don't really know why the selectors delayed his selection for so long (a SA friend of mine blames anti-SA bias by the selectors).

Here are the Ashes test and ODI squads from cricinfo:

Test Squad Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Brad Hodge, Simon Katich, Michael Clarke, Adam Gilchrist, Brad Haddin, Jason Gillespie, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Michael Kasprowicz, Shaun Tait, Stuart MacGill, Glenn McGrath.

ODI Squad Mathew Hayden, Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Simon Katich, Andrew Symonds, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, Brad Haddin, Shane Watson, Brad Hogg, Jason Gillespie, Brett Lee, Michael Kasprowicz, Glenn McGrath.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Lehmann really never should have been recalled in November 2002. Replacing a 36yr old Mark Waugh, with a 32yr old Lehmann - never saw the point in that. At the most, they were only ever going to get a couple of years out of him. And, as his Test record before 2002 suggested, he was never really going to be a run machine, upon his recall.

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
His test record is average at best, considering he was a part of one of the most dominant teams ever.

Link

State Vice-Captain
shaka said:
His game of late has not been special enough to remain
dont forget this man averages about 50. Just age has got the better of him. He could well be the best 36 year old around.

deeps

International 12th Man
his first ball reverse sweep against afridi in the vb series in a situation that did not demand such improvisation showed he has really lost the plot

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
A good player but never up to the standard of the rest of the batsmen and it was invevitable he would be replaced sooner or later

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only better players than him between 1998 and 2004 were Ponting and Stephen Waugh.
He showed quite clearly why he was recalled when Mark Waugh was dropped by his play in the first 15 Tests after it, in which he averaged 60.04.
I find it almost beyond belief that people are patronising him the way of this thread.
It's a shame things went the way they did for the next 7 matches after that, and, as Mark Waugh found-out, you can't expect to go like that for long and keep your place, especially with people of Katich's class knocking on the door.
But seriously - if anyone thinks Clarke will give us more headaches than Lehmann then they need their heads examined.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
kendall said:
A good player but never up to the standard of the rest of the batsmen and it was invevitable he would be replaced sooner or later
indeed so, never a big fan of the man, although will no doubt be racking up some 3 figure scores for yorks this season, all to no avail im sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, sadly no indication that he's coming "home" to Headingley... yet, at least.
Lehmann has played many fantastic innings, and had he been a bit more lucky he'd probably have played 100 Tests averaging 50... anything Justin Langer and Damien Martyn can do he can do... easily.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Richard said:
Nope, sadly no indication that he's coming "home" to Headingley... yet, at least.
Lehmann has played many fantastic innings, and had he been a bit more lucky he'd probably have played 100 Tests averaging 50... anything Justin Langer and Damien Martyn can do he can do... easily.
is he not??? yipes thats quite a suprise, i thouight it was now being arranged due to him not being in the ashes squad.

psxpro

Banned
Richard said:

Lehman is/was nowhere as good as Damien Martyn.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lehmann has been a better player throughout his career than Martyn has been, and is still slightly better even now both have just about reached their peaks of development.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
im being harsh on him when i say that, he has achieved his best no doubting that, whether or not he is past it is another matter, but in my opinion i would say that he is marginally past that and is now on the decline, albeit very slowly.