• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leading Try-Scorer

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say the 5 players to look out for would be:

Joe Rokocoko (NZ)
Rupeni Caucauinbuca (Fiji)
Doug Howlett (NZ)
Ben Cohen (Eng)
Matt Rogers (Aus)

There are probably a few French players but none have really stood out ahead of those 5.

nibbs

International Captain
I'd say Howlett fo sho. Rokocoko has had a good run heading into the cup, but it will not continue when it starts. He'll get a few no doubt, but not as many as Howlett.

As for Rupeni, you didn't happen to see him get run down by a lock a few weeks ago?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's far too many possible people to win it, but I expect it to be one of the big sides' fringe players (who runs in 6 or 7 against a minnow!)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Rupeni looked extremely overweight & tired. He had only just got back into the country & then he had to travel up to Whangerai, he probably shouldn't even have been playing that match for Northland.

Cloete

International Captain
Hmmm....

I'd say:

Joe Rokocoko - NZ
Doug Howlett - NZ
Ben Cohen (This guy is amazing. I'd say on the rugby field he's faster than both howlett and rokocoko)- Eng
Jason Robinson - Eng
Diego Albanese (If Argentina get past the 1st group watch out for them. They play very attacking, exctiting and open-style rugby. Unlucky not to beat SA earlier this year. When Arg get going this guy is as good as any winger in the game) - Arg
Cristophe Dominici - Fra
Mat Rogers - Aus

Then as usual u'd expect a Samoan/Fijian/Tongan do some stepping and alot of quick acceleration and maybe we can see someone bagging 4+ against a minnow.

nibbs

International Captain
marc71178 said:
There's far too many possible people to win it, but I expect it to be one of the big sides' fringe players (who runs in 6 or 7 against a minnow!)
Thats very possible, but I'd say the kind of player that would do that would be someone from a big nation who is not a regular in there team. In 1995 in South Africa Marc Ellis ran in six tries against Japan in his only game and he was out scored by Jonah Lomu who ended with a few more...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Caucau is fit, he's the fastest by a long shot..followed by Rokocoko. I've seen Cohen & I seriously doubt he could outsprint one of those two..but make no mistake, he's very quick.

The fastest rugby player i've ever seen is actually not playing the World Cup, his name is Sireli Bobo & he's currently playing for Wellington in the NPC..if he gets put into a gap, you may aswell give up because he just burns up the track.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you were betting on the leading try scorer, Mils Muli'iana wouldn't be a bad bet either at fullback for NZ or maybe Tana Umaga..no wait maybe Aaron Mauger..maybe even Carlos Spencer, Leon MacDonald..Ben Blair. Daniel Carter & Ma'a Nonu would be good bets for 5 tries against either Italy, Wales or Tonga too..

Any one of the AB's backline could be lead try scorer IMO except Justin Marshall, because he always seems to get an injury when he's close to scoring a try.

Cloete

International Captain
Tim said:
If you were betting on the leading try scorer, Mils Muli'iana wouldn't be a bad bet either at fullback for NZ.
yeah i was thinking of him. but i just wasn't sure. cause normally it's howlett or rokocoko who finishes off the tries. but Muli'iana normally starts them. that's the main thing you HAVE to do agaisnt NZ, find touch. otherwise muli'iana runs it spreads it and rokocoko/howlett only has to run down the side at pace and beat maybe 1 or 2 players.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Tim
If Caucau is fit, he's the fastest by a long shot..followed by Rokocoko. I've seen Cohen & I seriously doubt he could outsprint one of those two..but make no mistake, he's very quick.
I've seen him play and he is most definitely quick! He could give either of those 2 a very good run for their money and more. Well, I am an England fan but I have faith in the boy. He will do well.....I hope! :)

Craig

World Traveller
I'm considering placing a bet at the TAB for Rokocoko to be the leading try scorer.

11 tries in 7 Tests is very, very good.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Italy and another lowly ranked side have announced that they will play second string teams against the all blacks, cause the figure they are going to lose anyway, the all black backs will all have a chance to score plenty now

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its fairly safe to say that NZ will qualify 1st from their pool..however I can understand why the other sides will want to save their best players for the other matches.

Wales, Tonga, Italy & Canada are all fairly equal at the moment..Wales would definately have been the 2nd qualifier 6 years ago but now nobodies even sure if they can beat Italy or Tonga.

Its a hard one to pick but i'd say Wales & Canada have the best chance.

Craig

World Traveller
At what score do you think Thorne will make his declaration against Italy, Canada and Tonga?