• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

lara vs tendulkar

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
Whats the fact he is an Australian got anything to do with it?

Obvoisly there attacks are not that great compaired to maybe five years before that but apart from Australia's it was probably the next best going around maybe throw in South Africa witch Ponting also has a good record against.
what about his average against india in india?21 and 3.40 in 2 series is quite disgraceful. no ponting is no way as good as dravid and to bring him up in the same sentence as lara is an insult to lara's abilities

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
ponting is the best of those four but for me matt hayden cause he doesnt make watching test cricket boring like sehwag all they do is hit four and sixes which is how i like test cricket .for oneday batsman well is anyone surprised tendulkar has more runs cause hes played in more innings his stats are ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 24/03/2004)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 333 324 31 13134 186* 44.82 86.53 37 66 100 0

pontings are ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 27/02/2004)
Batting & Fielding 198 194 25 7154 145 42.33 77.60 15 40 79 0

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
well as it goes tendulkar is better in spurts so he did all his hard work in one period and lara hasnt become the bradman everyone expected after the 375 and 501* in 1994 and its too late for him to be any good so for careers tendulkar is better and for flukes and one-offs lara is better so its inconclusive

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
rolande said:
well as it goes tendulkar is better in spurts so he did all his hard work in one period and lara hasnt become the bradman everyone expected after the 375 and 501* in 1994 and its too late for him to be any good so for careers tendulkar is better and for flukes and one-offs lara is better so its inconclusive
Triple, quadruple and quintuple centuries are not what i would call flukes.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
rolande said:
Hmmm... so Lara fluked his way to 9000 Test runs faster than anyone in the history of the game (that includes Tendulkar for the simple minded). Does he have to reach 10,000 faster than anyone else in the game to get respect?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
rolande said:
ponting is the best of those four but for me matt hayden cause he doesnt make watching test cricket boring like sehwag all they do is hit four and sixes which is how i like test cricket .for oneday batsman well is anyone surprised tendulkar has more runs cause hes played in more innings his stats are ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 24/03/2004)
Batting & Fielding 333 324 31 13134 186* 44.82 86.53 37 66 100 0

pontings are ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 27/02/2004)
Batting & Fielding 198 194 25 7154 145 42.33 77.60 15 40 79 0
1/ Try some punctuation. It's a thrilling new world.

2/ From what I gather you are saying, you have no idea about how to play Test cricket. To say that Ricky Ponting is better than Dravid, Tendulkar and Lara proves this. Then to say that Ponting is better in ODI's than Tendulkar? That's just laughable.

Tendulkar may have played more ODI's than Ponting, but he scores more runs per innings than Ponting. His average not counting 'not outs' is 40.53. Ponting's is 36.84. His overall average is 44.82 to Ponting's 42.33. His SR is 86.53 compared to Ponting's 77.60. He scores a century every 8.75 innings and passes 50 every 3.14 innings. Ponting scores a century every 12.93 innings and passes 50 every 3.52 innings. Overall Ponting has played 59.87% of the number of innings Tendulkar has played and has just 54.46% of the runs Tendulkar has.

There is absolutely no statistical basis to support Ponting's ODI superiority and that's because there is no such superiority.

krkode

State Captain
What are you talking about Mr Mxyzptlk? Ponting is the best batsman in the world and the Universe for all we know. :happy:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmmm... so Lara fluked his way to 9000 Test runs faster than anyone in the history of the game (that includes Tendulkar for the simple minded). Does he have to reach 10,000 faster than anyone else in the game to get respect?
That won't work Liam, becuase he scored that 400* on a flat pitch...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Well I can't see any other reason why you'd try and put a player alongside Lara and SRT.
But I never tryed to put him up along side Tendulkar or Lara :laugh:

I was compairing him to Dravid you tool. If you are going to get involved in an argument then take the time to know what I am actualy arguing about please.

deeps

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Well I can't see any other reason why you'd try and put a player alongside Lara and SRT.
the only player comparable to lara and srt is steve waugh...they are the 3 kings... they are way above the rest

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
what about his average against india in india?21 and 3.40 in 2 series is quite disgraceful. no ponting is no way as good as dravid and to bring him up in the same sentence as lara is an insult to lara's abilities
I would just rather Ponting he is more of a match winner were as Dravid is probably more a match saving player. Personaly I like an aggresive player who is prepared to take the initiative in a tight contest between bat and ball.

Ponting has 35 International hundereds to Dravid's 25 and Dravid has played 26 more international innings.

Given this stat alone I think it's reasonable for me to argue my case that Ponting is at least as good as Dravid.

He is also a much better One Day batsman and can play good innings in pressure matches (WC Final). Dravid could never have played an innings like that.

Eclipse

International Debutant
deeps said:
the only player comparable to lara and srt is steve waugh...they are the 3 kings... they are way above the rest
The thing about Steven Waugh is he allways performed under pressure. The price he put on his wicket was as good as I have ever seen.

As far as pure skill as a batsman while underated by many was still not anywere nere as good as Tendulkar, Lara and quite a few others.

krkode

State Captain
Eclipse said:
I would just rather Ponting he is more of a match winner were as Dravid is probably more a match saving player. Personaly I like an aggresive player who is prepared to take the initiative in a tight contest between bat and ball.

Ponting has 35 International hundereds to Dravid's 25 and Dravid has played 26 more international innings.

Given this stat alone I think it's reasonable for me to argue my case that Ponting is at least as good as Dravid.

He is also a much better One Day batsman and can play good innings in pressure matches (WC Final). Dravid could never have played an innings like that.
WC final wasn't really a pressure match for Australia, but it was a good knock nonetheless; the kind we see Dravid making quite often. Some magnificent successful 300+ chases come to mind, and so do a couple of famous test matches in Eden Gardens a couple of years ago, and in Australia much more recently.

That said, hundreds are hardly everything to count for when judging a batsman. Look at averages. Sure Ponting takes the cake in the ODI game, but Dravid is quite a way better in the test version. They are different kinds of batsmen, Ponting and Dravid. Ponting is the Tendulkar equivalent in the Indian team, and I'd say Steve Waugh is the closest to Dravid equivalent in the Indian team. And look at good ol' Waugh, what, 31 centuries in a bajillion matches? Does that make him inferior to his peers?

deeps

International 12th Man
Eclipse said:
I would just rather Ponting he is more of a match winner were as Dravid is probably more a match saving player.
yup...wtever.. :dry: *thinks back to kolkatta...adelaide...and many others*

Eclipse said:
Personaly I like an aggresive player who is prepared to take the initiative in a tight contest between bat and ball
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...TVS/SCORECARDS/IND_NZ_TVS_ODI9_15NOV2003.html

geez, that was such a defensive knock by dravid..wat was he thinking? taking soOO long to make 50..with a totally useless strike rate of 227...sooo defensive ..

Eclipse said:
in the WC final dravid made 47 of 57 balls..i admit, no where near as brilliant as ponting...but dravid had alot more pressuer on him at that stage, because his team was chasing a mammoth total, and when he came into bat, the team was 3-59...
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...INALS/AUS_IND_WC2003_ODI-FINAL_23MAR2003.html

Eclipse

International Debutant
deeps said:
yup...wtever.. :dry: *thinks back to kolkatta...adelaide...and many others*
I am not saying he hasent played match winning innings.

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...TVS/SCORECARDS/IND_NZ_TVS_ODI9_15NOV2003.html

geez, that was such a defensive knock by dravid..wat was he thinking? taking soOO long to make 50..with a totally useless strike rate of 227...sooo defensive ..
Well what the hell do you expect when somone come's in with 6-7 overs to go they are hardly going to be deffensive are they!? Giving me an example were he took the initative from a tough situation would have been better.

in the WC final dravid made 47 of 57 balls..i admit, no where near as brilliant as ponting...but dravid had alot more pressuer on him at that stage, because his team was chasing a mammoth total, and when he came into bat, the team was 3-59...
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...INALS/AUS_IND_WC2003_ODI-FINAL_23MAR2003.html
What does this prove apart from the fact he faild under pressure.

Yes 47 off 57 balls is allright in a normal situation but chasing over 350 it's nor really good enough.

chicane

State Captain
Eclipse said:
Remember his 145 at Taunton in the '99 WC? OK not a final, but India were under pressure in the pool stage having lost to Zimbabwe. And he had just scored a century in the previous match. You just can't say a batsman of Dravid's ability could never have played an innings like that.

Eclipse

International Debutant
chicane said:
Remember his 145 at Taunton in the '99 WC? OK not a final, but India were under pressure in the pool stage having lost to Zimbabwe. And he had just scored a century in the previous match. You just can't say a batsman of Dravid's ability could never have played an innings like that.
Yes I remember that innings.

My point is I doubt Dravid could not have played an innings as brutal or damaging as Ponting did in the final of a WC. He put that match beyond India before a ball was even bowled in there innings IMO.