• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Labuschagne test average

halba

International 12th Man
It's dropping a fair bit now. Still on 54, only 40 tests. Used to be 60s.

It's quite possible it's going to drop to the 40s

He looks like he could get out any ball now, it looks like the initial form was above his long term form, same goes to Brook and guys like Kohli

loterry1994

International Debutant
You have to look at where and who his played in his career and he hasn’t been fully tested before this series. His had home series against the like of Pakistan, England and New Zealand, West Indies the last few years who provided pretty much no challenge. Then away his been to like Sri Lanka and also Pakistan which was very flat pitches. His played in india though and struggled but pretty much everyone did.

He was never going to maintain his record. Hard to compare him to Kohli who’s dip came way later in his career and he proved he can pretty much score anywhere. Brook is on a similar Trend but no where near as much games

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He’s a mid-high 40s averaging player if he plays a long career. And tbh if he plays say 100-120 tests and averages 45 batting three then that will be fine. I don’t think anyone with tuppence worth of brains who’s watched him expected him to maintain a 60 or so average.

Socerer 01

International Captain
It's dropping a fair bit now. Still on 54, only 40 tests. Used to be 60s.

It's quite possible it's going to drop to the 40s

He looks like he could get out any ball now, it looks like the initial form was above his long term form, same goes to Brook and guys like Kohli
kohli maintained his 50+ avg for around 70 matches and has played on some dreadful **** pitches for a lot of his career. dumb comparison bringing him in to these two hacks and bullies

halba

International 12th Man
kohli maintained his 50+ avg for around 70 matches and has played on some dreadful **** pitches for a lot of his career. dumb comparison bringing him in to these two hacks and bullies
Kohli is a bit better, but both are nowhere near great

Flem274*

123/5
You have to look at where and who his played in his career and he hasn’t been fully tested before this series. His had home series against the like of Pakistan, England and New Zealand, West Indies the last few years who provided pretty much no challenge. Then away his been to like Sri Lanka and also Pakistan which was very flat pitches. His played in india though and struggled but pretty much everyone did.

He was never going to maintain his record. Hard to compare him to Kohli who’s dip came way later in his career and he proved he can pretty much score anywhere. Brook is on a similar Trend but no where near as much games
I mean you've named like half the test playing nations here.

His huge average was built at home and now he's on a tough tour against a good attack, so his average has declined to being a big average.

If he stinks it up for 12 months then there's an issue, but for now he's easily the second best #3 Australia have behind Smith and one of the best players in his positions in the world. Makes every team somewhere in the order, no issues with him.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I mean you've named like half the test playing nations here.

His huge average was built at home and now he's on a tough tour against a good attack, so his average has declined to being a big average.

If he stinks it up for 12 months then there's an issue, but for now he's easily the second best #3 Australia have behind Smith and one of the best players in his positions in the world. Makes every team somewhere in the order, no issues with him.
that’s pretty much my point all those teams they played at home except for like India barely provided a challenge and weren’t close to winning a test match. The next year will show where his at

Ali TT

International Debutant
He'll have to score more consistently away from home for me to put him in the top tier of Aussie bats I've seen but perhaps this test will give him more confidence for when he tours in the future.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wish I’d seen his knock here to get a proper gauge of how he played, because at first blush it looks like it was ****ing crucial in the context of the game and series

Spark

Global Moderator
I wish I’d seen his knock here to get a proper gauge of how he played, because at first blush it looks like it was ****ing crucial in the context of the game and series
He looked excellent, very much back to his usual self until Root came on. Played late, played in his zones, looked settled.

Having said that, it wasn't really bowling conditions despite the overheads, the ball was soft and the pitch very docile.

Molehill

International Captain
Having said that, it wasn't really bowling conditions despite the overheads, the ball was soft and the pitch very docile.
That's the key bit for me. On a pitch that England had just racked up 600, how did Aus then find themselves 100-4? He did play well, but I'd be asking more why the others couldn't have done similarly.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's the key bit for me. On a pitch that England had just racked up 600, how did Aus then find themselves 100-4? He did play well, but I'd be asking more why the others couldn't have done similarly.
You've inadvertently answered your own question there. Scoreboard pressure and psychological damage is the greatest wicket taker the game has ever seen.

Also this is just such a churlish way to frame that question. Feels a bit mean-spirited frankly.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
You've inadvertently answered your own question there. Scoreboard pressure and psychological damage is the greatest wicket taker the game has ever seen.

Also this is just such a churlish way to frame that question. Feels a bit mean-spirited frankly.
You've already said the ball was soft and the pitch was docile.

Spark

Global Moderator
You've already said the ball was soft and the pitch was docile.
Oh well I guess that makes it not count then. Guess we should rub off Root's ton at Edgbaston too.

Come on. It's still a good innings and is very promising for Thursday. He looked good and deserved his hundred. It just wasn't some Smith 2019 worldie or anything like that, it was a standard Test hundred albeit one which is match-saving after a fashion.