• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Labuschagne-Smith vs Ponting-Martyn

I Love...

• Total voters

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll be surprised if Marnus/Smith isn't well ahead by the time their careers finish. For now I'd probably still just about having Ponting/Martyn (or Mark Waugh) ahead.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I voted for Smith-Labu. Even if I treat Labu as a 35 average batsman over his career, Smith is a level above even Ponting and even though it's tight, I'd back Smith to pile on more runs than anyone. I've never seen a batsman with the same appetite for runs that Smith has.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair pontings peak was just as long and just as run heavy as smith's. Since smith's recall to the test side in march of 2013 to today hes made 6968 test runs at an average of 65.75 over a 68 test match span. Ponting made 6451 runs at an average if 64.51 over 64 test matches between the start of 2003 and the end of 2008. Of course ponting was on a far better team in that period but people dont give peak ponting the respect he deserves.

Gnske

I don't know whether Ponting staying on post 2010-11 Ashes was a good thing or a bad thing for his legacy.

Redeemed himself against India, but then got beaten for pace by Jacques Kallis at 110kph in the single most blatant moment I've ever seen where you know a player is done.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know whether Ponting staying on post 2010-11 Ashes was a good thing or a bad thing for his legacy.

Redeemed himself against India, but then got beaten for pace by Jacques Kallis at 110kph in the single most blatant moment I've ever seen where you know a player is done.
Ponting clearly stayed on beyond his best years on purpose. He knew he was done but Australia would have ****ed without him being around. Had he retired in 2009 or thereabouts this conversation wouldn't be happening

stephen

I feel like Smith's peak was against much stronger opposition bowling though.

TheJediBrah

Smith and Labu could end up undisputed ATGs, both better than Ponting

Labu could also end up as the next Vinod Kambli

trundler

Ponting was averaging 60 after 100 tests. The fact that he played on too long because he had no replacement doesn't damage his legacy for me.

trundler

What Smith has going for him is that his tendency to get squared up by left arm orthodox spinners is a lot less significant than Ponting's relative weakness against spin in Asia.

trundler

He did play Murali well.

Ponting was perhaps the better player of extreme pace. Peak Ponting was probably the most well-equipped player to deal with that Archer spell. Both have their strengths and are bonafide ATGs but it's still close imo.

vcs

Smith also has an absurdly good Ashes record. While Ponting played plenty of great Ashes knocks, I don't think his average against England or in England would come close to Smith's.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
He did play Murali well.

Ponting was perhaps the better player of extreme pace. Peak Ponting was probably the most well-equipped player to deal with that Archer spell. Both have their strengths and are bonafide ATGs but it's still close imo.
There is a good chance that peak ponting would have hooked/pulled a new bowler like Archer (bowling short) out of confidence in the first couple of overs of the spell. Sometimes a few shots is all it takes with a green bowler. Admittidley, it only takes one (miss)shot to reward the bowler as well, but peak ponting was perhaps the best i have ever seen at knowing when to time assaults on pace.

Peak Smith still the better bat though- more adapatable and merciless.

Comparing Marnus to guys with proper careers is just silly though. I dont even think it is fair to compare smith to ponting yet cos of career length.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In terms of output as batsmen? Smith > Ponting > Martyn >> Marnus (mainly due to career length)

Personal preference? Martyn = Marnus > Smith > Ponting. Ponting was very stylish to watch but there is something about Smith's movement all across and then the last split second win over the bowler. Ponting made you feel like you had no hope as a bowler when he was at his best on good tracks but Smith can actually make a bowler feel that way half way through his innings even on the most bowler friendly track. He gives you hope and then takes it away bit by bit until all is left is the peak of despair. And somehow I find it fun to watch unless he is doing it to the Indian team, which the ****er has done often enough now. :)