• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kyle Jamieson vs. Axar Patel

Whose bowling average you want more to come down to the ground?

• Total voters

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
Damn I see nothing but facts by that quora guy. Some people just unable to handle the truth it seems.
How is it fact?
There was no quality spinners in English team,verity?laker?,didnt bat against gr8 spinners verity,O’Reilly,laker,grimmett.the last point is even more childish,the first point doesn’t mention that bradman was lbw only thrice after rule change,playing sa was like Oman or Bermuda is like foolish thing to say,he said sa didn’t have any experience in international arena,I mean really.He is literally comparing England to Bangladesh in sangakarra days.

Xix2565

International Debutant
This isn't the place to cry about Bradman not being appreciated enough by Indians (very weird thing to cry about in the first place).

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How is it fact?
There was no quality spinners in English team,verity?laker?,didnt bat against gr8 spinners verity,O’Reilly,laker,grimmett.the last point is even more childish,the first point doesn’t mention that bradman was lbw only thrice after rule change,playing sa was like Oman or Bermuda is like foolish thing to say,he said sa didn’t have any experience in international arena,I mean really.He is literally comparing England to Bangladesh in sangakarra days.
He was joking

J
O
K
I
N
G

Joking

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
This isn't the place to cry about Bradman not being appreciated enough by Indians (very weird thing to cry about in the first place).
No one is crying as I said people of subcontinent who don’t like him would have found another point if voges had averaged 96 and it’s a fact.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
This was what one of the person from India had written in quora in the most overrated cricketer and it was first in reading viewed by 100k people ,I reported it from my 4 quora account because it was so bad.If voges had returned with average of 96,he would have found another reason to say unnecessary things about bradman.he even included 5th test 1938 where bradman was injured and didn’t bat after twisting his ankle while bowling.
SIR’ Donald Bradman is the most overrated cricketer ever. He is a legend for sure, but definitely not worth the hype.

1. The LBW law was not properly implemented until 1937 when it became an MCC law. Prior to it, the batsmen were not given out even if the ball hits the pads.
  2. Bradman played international cricket against 4 nations - England, West Indies, South Africa, and India. Out of his 52 appearances in tests, he played more than 70% of them against England. Playing most of the matches against just one team made him familiar with their bowling.
  3. Bradman had hardly played in 10–12 grounds(that too only in England and Australia) throughout his career. He was well aware of the conditions there. Players like Ponting, Tendulkar, and Sangakkara have played in 10+ countries and 50+ grounds.
  4. Spin bowling was not so dominant in those days. There was no single quality spinner on the English side at that time. Who knows what would Bradman’s average be, if he had played in current spin-friendly tracks of Asia.
  5. He averaged 178.75 against India and 201.50 against South Africa. Both these teams were amateur and didn’t have enough experience in the international arena. It’s like Steve Smith playing against minnows like Bermuda or Oman.
  6. His average was not exceptional against the English and the Caribbean teams. His average against WI is 74.5 and England is 89.78. If any modern-day legend plays such a high percentage of matches against just one team, he would definitely have the similar average. Imagine Kohli playing 70% of his matches against Srilanka (or) Sangakkara playing against Bangladesh.
  7. The strategists play an important role in today’s game. They check the batting videos of the opposition player and devise a plan to get him out. All opposition teams had their plans against Tendulkar and Ponting, well ahead of the match. There no such facilities during Bradman’s era.
  8. Cricket in those days only had one format. That too was played rarely. In a career spanning for 13 years(no cricket for 6 years 1939–45, due to WW2), Bradman played just 52 tests. that’s 4 tests per year. Current generation players play games of all the 3-formats. They take immense pressure while playing the shorter formats.
  9. Whenever the pitch is hard to play, he wouldn't come to bat. He would be given an absent hurt. That also boosted his average. He didn't bat in both the innings of the 5th test vs England at London.

(First Innings)

(Second Innings)

With such a great strategy and conditions of the game, any good player would have had a similar average as of Bradman’s.

Footnotes:

1. Don Bradman - Wikipedia
  2. 5th Test, Australia tour of England at London, Aug 20-24 1938 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
  3. Leg before wicket - Wikipedia
Damn, isn't that the forum which laments over how people in Bangalore can't survive with a salary of Rs 9M per annum.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don Bradman if given lbw would just stand there and bully the umpire telling him ('Theyve come to watch me bat, not you officiate'. )This is well documented.
I remember a cricketer after reading that line. If I remember correctly I think it was not you umpire.

ataraxia

International Coach
Bradman's very overrated. Played on flat pitches against 110kph "pace" bowlers.

He just took advantage of his team being really good, and downhill skiied extremely well.

In today's game, he'd average less than 30. The best of all time, despite not being able to hold a spot in any current test team? I don't think so.

Finally, when he was actually under pressure, in his last innings, four runs required, he fell for a duck! What a choker.

Also apparently quite a rude man according to his contemporaries.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Grace once picked up the bails and put them back on in a test match after being bowled and continued batting

Nobody said a word because they knew Grace ran the Sport of cricket like a mob boss