• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kuwait beat Socceroos and France get Revenge !

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Kuwait beat Socceroos 2-0 in AFC qualifying. Pretty disappointing effort from the Socceroos who had 8 world cup veterans in their side.

and Les Bleus beat the Azzurri 3-1.

Well done, France they really ought to have been world champions.....Italy didn't deserve the title.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia were effectively playing a dead game and Italy didn't deserve to win the WC...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
imo i thought they did, certainly on the performance in the final.
I agree, Argentina were head and shoulders the best team in the World Cup (just that the manager bottled it) but Italy played magnificently well in the Semi Final and Final.

Matteh

But the De Rossi incident and the Aus game leaves a black mark surely...

Matteh

Or someone that doesn't want to see cheating and elbowing in football...

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Salamuddin said:
Kuwait beat Socceroos 2-0 in AFC qualifying. Pretty disappointing effort from the Socceroos who had 8 world cup veterans in their side.
Schwarzer, who had no chance at saving either, and Chipperfield were the only two starters from the best side. Still shouldn't have lost mind you. While I clutch at straws Kuwait are a former Asian cup champion, have more West Asian Championships than Saudi Arabia and knocked China out of WC 2006 qualifying.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Elbowing and acts of stupidity yes but I don't agree with the first point. Said it many times but Lucas was asking for it and if that was Kewell in Grosso’s position he would have done the same thing. Does not make it alright of course but not something so outrageous that it would leave a black mark on Italy's triumph.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matteh said:
But the De Rossi incident and the Aus game leaves a black mark surely...
De Rossi elbowed and was dealt with accordingly - not the first side to win a world cup after a red card for such a thing, and I doubt they'll be the last.

Matteh

TT Boy said:
Elbowing and acts of stupidity yes but I don't agree with the first point. Said it many times but Lucas was asking for it and if that was Kewell in Grosso’s position he would have done the same thing. Does not make it alright of course but not something so outrageous that it would leave a black mark on Italy's triumph.
Makes it questionable that given a decent ref they'd have made it to the semis let alone the final.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The problem is, there was a clear case for giving the foul when watching it on replay and from the referee's view, there was a definite case for giving it - Neill was at fault for what he did.

Matteh

Once you see Grosso tap the ball past Neill he changes direction and looks for the foul. Neill hasn't touched him, it's the other way around.

Cloete

International Captain
Salamuddin said:

and Les Bleus beat the Azzurri 3-1.

Well done, France they really ought to have been world champions.....Italy didn't deserve the title.
I think we'll use the English excuse of "ohhh it was too hot, that's why we performed poorly"

Considering it was 46-47 degrees as opposed to the 30 that the "poor" English team had to play in at the World Cup.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
Considering it was 46-47 degrees as opposed to the 30 that the "poor" English team had to play in at the World Cup.
Wasn't it a dry heat though?

And the 30 isn't the pitch temperature.

Craig

World Traveller
Matteh said:
Would you be saying that if Ashley Cole did it and it got England into the World Cup final (hypothetically speaking) or if they were in the final and it won them the final?

It was Australia's fault they didn't beat Italy, didn't take their chances nor should have let Italy back into the game.

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Wasn't it a dry heat though?

And the 30 isn't the pitch temperature.
Yeah but losing 4-5kg in the match isn't totally cool. And the 46-47 wasn't pitch temperature either :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And players in Germany were losing that amount of weight as well, because the humidity of the heat makes it worse.