• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kolpak

Jaffa

Cricket Spectator
In County Cricket, what is a Kolpak player? I dont know and i would really like to know!

Please Help

Thanks

open365

International Vice-Captain
What aren't you sure about?

don't worry about the political side.

As counties are only allowed 2 over seas players in one side,many of them buy kolpak players,who can't play for England but don't count as an over seas player.

many people dis agree wtih Kolpak players because they genraly aren't very good and they can stop young English players from getting into the 1st team.

Jaffa

Cricket Spectator
Ok, so players such as who are classed as Kolpak? (names of players like, Flower and Kroenig)

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think Flower is classed as an over seas player,TBH,the people complaining about Kolpak players(namely me)don't watch or care much about domestic cricket and don't really know how many Kolpak players there are.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
open365 said:
I think Flower is classed as an over seas player,TBH,the people complaining about Kolpak players(namely me)don't watch or care much about domestic cricket and don't really know how many Kolpak players there are.
an overseas without a country...interesting.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
I'm pretty sure he is a Kolpak, maybe not anymore but in Wisden Cricket Captain 2005 he is.

You're right, Carter has an EU passport.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
open365 said:
many people dis agree wtih Kolpak players because they genraly aren't very good and they can stop young English players from getting into the 1st team.
Rubbish.

If they weren't any good they wouldn't be signed, and if a youngster can't get ahead of someone else who's supposedly so poor, then they've not really got much hope of a big career.

The better youngsters will get in, and they'll then be playing a higher quality of cricket...