• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Klusenar Vs Dhoni

Jumno

State 12th Man
Klusenar had a fabulous 99 WC and in the 2003 WC, almost got his team him in the innings against WI and Sri L.

Dhoni has played match winning innings against Sri L in the WC final, Vs Australia in Adelaide, another game in Sri L, tried to finish the game off at Birmingham, 2015 WC SF. His 183 Vs Sri L.

Who is the better finisher? Who would you have in your team?

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Klusenar had a fabulous 99 WC and in the 2003 WC, almost got his team him in the innings against WI and Sri L.

Dhoni has played match winning innings against Sri L in the WC final, Vs Australia in Adelaide, another game in Sri L, tried to finish the game off at Birmingham, 2015 WC SF. His 183 Vs Sri L.

Who is the better finisher? Who would you have in your team?
Dhoni, not only a great finisher but a great captain ..

Understood the game is about keeping cool and calm no matter if you win or lose just keep it simple and take it deep. Great mentality 👏

reyrey

U19 12th Man
Dhoni the better finisher, but I'd have Klusener in my team as in the first half of his ODI career he was also a genuine matching winning 4th/5th bowler capable of giving you 8-10 overs.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
There are and have been plenty of quality wicket keeper batsman in the game (some teams now even have 2 or 3 in the same line up) but very few fast bowling all-rounders who could win you games with both bat and ball.
In Dhoni's class? Not really. You have Gilly in top order and Buttler, and even those two are definitely worse. As a pacer allrounder, Flintoff, Dev and Imran all have cases ahead of Klusner whose bowling wasn't really that good.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
In Dhoni's class? Not really. You have Gilly in top order and Buttler, and even those two are definitely worse. As a pacer allrounder, Flintoff, Dev and Imran all have cases ahead of Klusner whose bowling wasn't really that good.
Wicket keeping doesn't win matches like bowling can. It's just a glorified fielding position in ODIs.

And I mentioned Kluseners bowling in the first half of his career which was basically under Cronjes captaincy. His numbers during that period are on par with Flintoff, but he has several more 5 wicket halls. He actually has more 5 wicket hauls in 4 years than in the careers of all the allrounders you mentioned combined. Also he was a better batsman by a lot than all the names you mentioned.

It's obvious you didn't watch Klusener bowling in his early years or don't remember otherwise you would know just how good he was.

SpanMatInnsOversMdnsRunsWktsBBIAvgEconSR4w5w
1996-20008278619.42229461166/4925.394.753206

reyrey

U19 12th Man
Klusener's ER was too high and I generally give more importance to economy than wicket taking ability in limited overs. Will definitely take Flintoff over Klusener as bowler.
Klusener at his best was used more as strike bowler and Flintoff was used more as a middle overs enforcer, different roles, different economy rates. Also no one said Klusener was a better bowler than Flintoff.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I do wonder how much Dhoni hanging on much too long at ODI level hurt his reputation, because this would have been a no contest on this forum ca 2013 or so.
Hanging on wasn't the problem. He still had the game to be one of the top limited over players in the world. Problem was he steadfastly stuck to playing very low in the batting order. He limited his own impact by doing so, denied himself many many opportunities to play match winning knocks. Also overdid the safety first approach. I would be less mad at him if his abilities declined, it's just his mindset became ****.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wicket keeping doesn't win matches like bowling can. It's just a glorified fielding position in ODIs.

And I mentioned Kluseners bowling in the first half of his career which was basically under Cronjes captaincy. His numbers during that period are on par with Flintoff, but he has several more 5 wicket halls. He actually has more 5 wicket hauls in 4 years than in the careers of all the allrounders you mentioned combined. Also he was a better batsman by a lot than all the names you mentioned.

It's obvious you didn't watch Klusener bowling in his early years or don't remember otherwise you would know just how good he was.

SpanMatInnsOversMdnsRunsWktsBBIAvgEconSR4w5w
1996-20008278619.42229461166/4925.394.753206
Yeah fielding is less important in shorter formats.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
Yeah fielding is less important in shorter formats.
Yeah expect I never said that. I actually suggested the opposite.

A keeper even though they are in essence the main fielder in the team, if it's a "glorified position" then it would mean the other fielding positions are not given the credit or recognition they deserve. 1 keeper, 10 other fielders who should be recognized for their importance.

Last edited:

Socerer 01

International Captain
Hanging on wasn't the problem. He still had the game to be one of the top limited over players in the world. Problem was he steadfastly stuck to playing very low in the batting order. He limited his own impact by doing so, denied himself many many opportunities to play match winning knocks. Also overdid the safety first approach. I would be less mad at him if his abilities declined, it's just his mindset became ****.
nah he wasnt

he was visibly struggling against spin, wrist spin in particular and his strike rotation wasnt up to snuff for the middle overs of that time. the mcg odi showed why, Kohli had negotiated a tough powerplay and conditions upfront and was trying to play his usual accumulator style but Dhoni kept eating up dot balls instead of playing tango with Kohli which ended up with Kohli getting out in a frustrated manner. reason why it didnt blow up was because it was Dhoni and because he ended up winning the match. a similar thing happened in another match i cant recall, Kohli tried to rotate strike initially but realising Dhoni wasnt doing it then went for 4s and slogs and ended up losing his wicket by attempting a 6