• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ken Barrington vs Younis Khan

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Rules of cricket rating suggest that any nominally underrated batting great must immediately rate ahead of any Pakistani batsman ever.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't have a strong opinion on this because I've never really considered it before.

Both players get harshly treated compared to their results imo.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might be unfair of me but I've never rated Younis as high as many others on this forum because he just looked so unbelievably inept when the ball was hooping around in NZ conditions. I mean tail-ender level inept.

OverratedSanity

Might be unfair of me but I've never rated Younis as high as many others on this forum because he just looked so unbelievably inept when the ball was hooping around in NZ conditions. I mean tail-ender level inept.
Yeah I kinda agree, he wasn't the best player of lateral movement. But anyone else feel comparisons like this always expose how difficult it is to be fair to the more modern guy in comparisons like this? Barrington had obscene stats but I'm sure he had his own weaknesses (every batsman does), they're just not brought up because people who haven't watched them play can't make any kind of judgement. Whereas with Younis all his strengths and weaknesses are relatively fresh in the memory, so they're going to be brought up.

Never been entirely convinced what to make of Barrington's career tbh. He has a very large disparity between his FC and test stats and he had a pretty short career by ATG standards. Abundance of high scoring series and mediocre attacks in his era too.

trundler

Barrington had obscene stats but I'm sure he had his own weaknesses
Not the best player of pace. Struggled massively against WI with Hall, especially at home and was said to be suspect against the short ball.

That is all lost to time though and YK looking inept against lateral movement is still fresh as you say. Tbf, he did really suck in NZ. Looked awful.