• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil, Vaas, or Streak? (Best bowler)

Best bowler: Kapil, Chaminda, or Heath?

• Total voters

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
?
This doesn't make any sense. I was pointing out Kapils career didn't overlap with the spin quartet at all. Which is true.
oh okay i thought you said he had spin quartet which i believed was true. eitherway my point was forumers not giving Heath the same treatment as Kapil of being the lone bowler.

and i could have sworn DIlip Joshi and Binny were pretty good support no?

edit: Dilip joshi is acc kinda underrated upon seeing his stats (apparently gavaskar didnt like him and dropped him forever, blame can come on gavaskar for india's struggle in his time right here)

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
I thought Kapil was way ahead
kapil has been almost averaging 29-30 since his debut to end. No peak outlier causes credentials to just slot him ahead without questions asked vs streak and vaas

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil: 434 wickets @ 29.64 from 131 tests.
WPM 3.3, SR 63.90, 23 5 wicket bags, 2 10 wicket bags
Had the test wicket taking record at one stage.

Vaas: 355 wickets @29.58 from 111 tests.
WPM 3.2, SR 66, 12 5 wicket bags, 2 10 wicket bags
Offered left arm variety at a time (Wasim excepted) when they weren't as common as today.

Streak: 216 wickets @28.14 from 65 tests.
WPM 3.3, SR 62.70, 7 5 wicket bags, 0 10 wicket bags
Was the fastest of the three but had the smallest sample size.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil Dev easily. He could bowl well every where. Vaas was hot and cold when touring, generally poor in SENA countries (he has a few stellar performances) and in India. He was a bowler who honed his skills to bowl on dust bowls. Streak was no where as skillful as Vaas or penetrative as Kapil.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I love how individually the 'spin quartet' is hyped asf, then when it comes to discussing kapil, all of a sudden 'nah bro kapil had no one boohoo"

The comedy is these fanboys crying about Kapil having no one at aid, when HEATH STREAK literally played for Zimbabwe and yet banged those incredible stats. Just look at the amount of wickets Heath has in his career compared to all zimbabwe bowlers combined. You'll realise how underrated heath is
At least Streak had some damp climate to swing it away from batsmen in half of his matches. Vaas and Kapil had no such luxury.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not true. Great in the Windies (big tick) and Australia, but averaged 42 in NZ, 40 in Pakistan, 39 in England, 37 in South Africa, and 33 in Sri Lanka who were minnows at the time.
Pakistan we could forget because India never played enough matches. He played at the fag end of his career against SAF. Sri Lanka were pretty good against fast medium swing bowling. It was pace and bounce that troubled us in the past with exception of Aravinda de Silva. NZ / ENG is frank poor given the helping conditions offered. Ok, so Kapil bowled well in many conditions. His frank poor performances were only in two countries Vaas had poor figures in ENG, SAF AUS, BAN and IND. None of them could be attributed to end / beginning of the career.

Edit: He has played 15 tests in PAK. So we can count it as poor performance.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not true. Great in the Windies (big tick) and Australia, but averaged 42 in NZ, 40 in Pakistan, 39 in England, 37 in South Africa, and 33 in Sri Lanka who were minnows at the time.
What exactly is the sample size here? I know for sure it wont be many for South Africa.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kapil played plenty in Pak (15 games for 44 wkts at 40 a piece). 5 Test tours between the countries were a fixture in the late 70s-early 80s.
Yeah was it also not in pitches famously made for draws as neither side could afford the risk of losing to the other? I mean, he was still poor in Pak and Eng I guess overall but some of the context is obviously missing.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Yeah was it also not in pitches famously made for draws as neither side could afford the risk of losing to the other? I mean, he was still poor in Pak and Eng I guess overall but some of the context is obviously missing.
Yeah snorefests usually. Dead wickets, bad umpiring, both teams scared of forcing the issue.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Chaminda Vaas was the same, but not quite as consistent as Streak. Kapil was good in an era where many were great. He lacked support, but so did Streak, and at least India can bowl good spin and usually sort of bat.

I'm giving this contest to Streak, though am open to changing my mind. He performed to the same level, probably slightly better, though all of these dudes are superb for being their nations first good 'un at pace bowling.
Streak wasn't actually that consistent, at least not over the span of his entire career. He had a career of 2 halves. Early Streak was a genuine world class bowler, he averaged 22.9 after his first 30 tests. Now admittedly, he wasn't playing against South Africa or Australia much at all, but they're excellent figures all the same .

Then something happened, I'm not sure if it was injury, or whether the deterioration of the political situation took its tool on his training practices and mental health. But either way, he averaged 35 over his last 35 tests. Still not terrible, but very mediocre. He did play 6 of those 35 tests v SA and Aus, but that shouldn't be sufficient to bump his average up by 12 runs, especially when you consider that he also played 6 tests against a very weak Bangladesh side. Does anyone know why Streak's numbers dropped off so drastically?