• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil Dev vs Shoaib Akhtar

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Gone for Shoaib's immense upside but can understand Kapil. Vastly superior longevity in a one man attack.

subshakerz

International Coach
Shoaib will also suffer in these comparisons since he will always break down mid series.

But once again CW ignores ground realities and votes based on numbers in a vacuum.

BazBall21

Shoaib will also suffer in these comparisons since he will always break down mid series.

But once again CW ignores ground realities and votes based on numbers in a vacuum.
Yeah. That was part of why I voted Broad against him. He wasn't reliable. I've gone X Factor over quantity. Kapil probably is the objective winner.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah. That was part of why I voted Broad against him. He wasn't reliable. I've gone X Factor over quantity. Kapil probably is the objective winner.
I don't know the value of X factor since Shoaib reliably broke down most series he played.

BazBall21

I don't know the value of X factor since Shoaib reliably broke down most series he played.
26 avg/46 SR. RPW in his tests is high. Sample size is poor but not a total nullifier. Didn't dominate series' but affected more of them than his number of tests suggest.

subshakerz

International Coach
26 avg/46 SR. RPW in his tests is high. Sample size is poor but not a total nullifier. Didn't dominate series' but affected more of them than his number of tests suggest.
Yeah but you have to weigh his value with the harm of breaking down mid-series and leaving you a bowler short.

BazBall21

Yeah but you have to weigh his value with the harm of breaking down mid-series and leaving you a bowler short.
Yeah it's quite difficult to make a case for Shoaib being more valuable. Better, probably. But not more valuable. Kapil does also have a surprisingly good record in Australia.

ma1978

State Captain
Kapil had a longer period than Akhtar’s wntire career where he was better and carried on a lot longer after that. He also was reliable unlike Akhtar.

number11

First Class Debutant
Shoaib played 46 tests with 178 wkts. It's a decent career length given the crazy forces applied to his body. He was easily the better bowler.