• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis v Sangakkara

Kallis v Sangakkara

• Kallis

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Sangakkara

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, Sanga massively underrated on CW.

The way I'm looking at it, no one here rates Kallis's bowling or even has his batting that high. But somehow this result is a landslide for Kallis... This one isn't even from a long time ago like the other batting comparison between the 2, so we have overall career hindsight with us as well...

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't mind either winning this but Kallis did have the tougher home conditions
Kallis’ home performance is underrated I feel. Like we all clearly rate him better than any other post-apartheid SA bat (there may be an argument with Pollock).

Apart from Nourse (58.78) and Pollock (68.77) in relatively small sample sizes, Kallis (56.73) averages almost 10 runs higher at home than any other SA bat, whilst also having made 2000 more runs than any other SA bat. Truly phenomenal.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah, Sanga massively underrated on CW.

The way I'm looking at it, no one here rates Kallis's bowling or even has his batting that high. But somehow this result is a landslide for Kallis... This one isn't even from a long time ago like the other batting comparison between the 2, so we have overall career hindsight with us as well...
Because posters here are are pretty bad at assessing cricketers.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Can you beat the combination of ATG batsman, test standard bower and world class slip fielder.
No, you can't

BazBall21

International Regular
I think Kallis is a little bit ahead of Dravid/Sanga who are effectively dead even. Dravid against Australia/South Africa is a bit yikes but he has a better away record than Sanga.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think Kallis is a little bit ahead of Dravid/Sanga who are effectively dead even. Dravid against Australia/South Africa is a bit yikes but he has a better away record than Sanga.
No. Kallis/Dravid/Sanga are pretty close recordwise overall.

Dravid and Kallis sucked in SL, Sanga in India.

Dravid and Sanga sucked in SA, Kallis was awesome.

Kallis sucked in England, Dravid was awesome there, Sanga was meh.

Sanga impressed in Australia, Kallis was very good, Dravid meh.

Sanga and Dravid were experts at mega scores, Kallis sucked at it.

No real significant advantage for any of them.

EXCEPT

Sanga was a naturally aggressive player capable of putting the opposition at the backfoot unlike the others. Which is the vital edge that puts him ahead.

BazBall21

International Regular
No. Kallis/Dravid/Sanga are pretty close recordwise overall.

Dravid and Kallis sucked in SL, Sanga in India.

Dravid and Sanga sucked in SA, Kallis was awesome.

Kallis sucked in England, Dravid was awesome there, Sanga was meh.

Sanga impressed in Australia, Kallis was very good, Dravid meh.

Sanga and Dravid were experts at mega scores, Kallis sucked at it.

No real significant advantage for any of them.

EXCEPT

Sanga was a naturally aggressive player capable of putting the opposition at the backfoot unlike the others. Which is the vital edge that puts him ahead.
Hmm. Away from home, Dravid and Sangakkara both cashed in on Pakistan roads and against the Bangladesh/Zimbabwe minnows. Besides that, Dravid averages six more than Sangakkara away from home. The disparity here was even bigger throughout their careers.

Dravid's record against Australia and South Africa is yikes and Sangakkara was better at scoring big hundreds which I believe is partially a product of his strike rate. Those two factors probably push it to a virtual dead heat. I do think Dravid would have to expand his game in a tough batting era which was part of his problem against Australia and South Africa. Another cap in Sangakkara's feather.

Kallis having tougher home conditions is pretty big when they're so evenly matched. Dravid has more marquee knocks and Sangakkara has more big hundreds but they both also have some obvious problems like Kallis.

subshakerz

International Coach
Hmm. Away from home, Dravid and Sangakkara both cashed in on Pakistan roads and against the Bangladesh/Zimbabwe minnows. Besides that, Dravid averages six more than Sangakkara away from home. The disparity here was even bigger throughout their careers.

Dravid's record against Australia and South Africa is yikes and Sangakkara was better at scoring big hundreds which I believe is partially a product of his strike rate. Those two factors probably push it to a virtual dead heat. I do think Dravid would have to expand his game in a tough batting era which was part of his problem against Australia and South Africa. Another cap in Sangakkara's feather.

Kallis having tougher home conditions is pretty big when they're so evenly matched. Dravid has more marquee knocks and Sangakkara has more big hundreds but they both also have some obvious problems like Kallis.
Bro don't twist yourself into pretzels, just go for the fastscoring Sanga this time and next time I am in a dead heat between two players I will defer to you. Help me bring sanity back to CW.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
It is really close this. You have to look past the minnow bashing and how the players did against their toughest opponents and the conditions. Would just about give it to Kallis here based on that.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Fairly similar to Sangakkara in South Africa albeit with a few more tests. I agree with those who have pointed out that Kallis had to bat in rather more helpful conditions for seam/pace bowling than what Sanga would have to do.

subshakerz

International Coach
Fairly similar to Sangakkara in South Africa albeit with a few more tests. I agree with those who have pointed out that Kallis had to bat in rather more helpful conditions for seam/pace bowling than what Sanga would have to do.
Kallis' record in SA is definitely a point in his favor. Sanga being able to double ton more is a point in his favor.

But I think if they are this close, we need to pay attention to playing style which nobody here wants to talk about.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Kallis' record in SA is definitely a point in his favor. Sanga being able to double ton more is a point in his favor.

But I think if they are this close, we need to pay attention to playing style which nobody here wants to talk about.
Yes Sanga like Lara was aggressive and proactive and used to put pressure on good bowlers instead to waiting for bad bowlers to score runs.