• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just a thought - Handicap System in Cricket

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
The only way any Associate Nations will improve their cricket is to play in Full Member domestic competitions - firstly one-day, then ideally First-Class.

Like Scotland? They could look to introduce them into the First Class system if they started to be competetive in the National League but i cant see that happening soon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sadly I think the likelier situation is that Scotland will endure another miserable season in 2005 and return to the wilderness, having "had their trial ended".
Which will help wonders for their development.
Even if they manage to stay in (and I have total confidence that if they get 7 or 8 years they'll get into the First Division and start to look good) I can't help getting the feeling that, unless ICC decide to act forcefully, the old-fuddy-duddy mentality might see them refused entry to the Championship for the sake of so-called tradition. Even though it would be in the greater interests of cricket for them to play.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
Like Scotland? They could look to introduce them into the First Class system if they started to be competetive in the National League but i cant see that happening soon.
Nada.

Rahul McDravid's gone off haggis.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rich2001 said:
Isn't the ICC currently taking about giving a handicap to Bangladesh?

I heard they are trying to get them far more competive matches during non Test/ODI matches ie against teams like Kenya etc and only giving them home series vs the big nations.
I think that's just a tit for tat move......

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Sadly I think the likelier situation is that Scotland will endure another miserable season in 2005 and return to the wilderness, having "had their trial ended".
Which will help wonders for their development.
Even if they manage to stay in (and I have total confidence that if they get 7 or 8 years they'll get into the First Division and start to look good) I can't help getting the feeling that, unless ICC decide to act forcefully, the old-fuddy-duddy mentality might see them refused entry to the Championship for the sake of so-called tradition. Even though it would be in the greater interests of cricket for them to play.
Is the Scottish team in the County Championship the actual team they'd play with if the made it into International events (minus Dravid of course)!? Or is it a mish-mash of players from everywhere for the purposes of having a "strong" team? (I lived in Edinburgh for 1½ years and never went and saw them - kept missing the games!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's anyone who has been signed-up - just like a county.
Though I think they do realise that the point of the exercise - as well as trying to get Scots into cricket by having regular competetive matches - is to improve players who one day might play for them in one-day-international cricket.
And no, it's not a strong side at all - they lose to almost everyone in the country!