• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Josh Hazlewood vs Jason Gillespie

Better test bowler?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hazelwood by a bit. Gillespie looked way less threatening when Mcgrath wasn't at the other end, though it's a small sample I'm judging that by. Also bowled consistently a little short throughout his career, haze hits the ideal length far more consistently imo.

Burgey

Not quite. I usually wouldn't get a bowl in a Chinese restaurant. Though we all played winter cricket one year and I took the new ball. Our keeper and the slips stood about a pitch and a half back as i measured out a long run, and you could see the trepidation on the batsman's face as he looked around, and on the faces of his team mates watching on the sidelines.

As I ran (jogged/ lumbered) in, the keeper and slips began walking in with me, such that by the time the ball fell out of my hand they were just at the end of the cut portion of the pitch. Bowled the rest of the over off two steps, more in keeping with my usual standard, such as it was.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Not quite. I usually wouldn't get a bowl in a Chinese restaurant. Though we all played winter cricket one year and I took the new ball. Our keeper and the slips stood about a pitch and a half back as i measured out a long run, and you could see the trepidation on the batsman's face as he looked around, and on the faces of his team mates watching on the sidelines.

As I ran (jogged/ lumbered) in, the keeper and slips began walking in with me, such that by the time the ball fell out of my hand they were just at the end of the cut portion of the pitch. Bowled the rest of the over off two steps, more in keeping with my usual standard, such as it was.
So the Cricket 24 video @sledger posted in the gaming thread wasn't so unrealistic after all.

morgieb

Think I'd still take Gillespie. Haze's home record is outstanding, probably better than Gillespie's but I don't think he's had that one out of the box away series which hurts. Hell other than the Ashes 2019 I'm not sure he's even had a particularly good series away from home.

What Gillespie did in India I think still has him ahead for now.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Gillespie was closer to the top of his era than Haze is to his.

What surprises me is Haze has mostly played in Aus and England. I know he's had injury issues in recent years but there was a fair while there where he was consistently fit. He's 33 and played under 5 games everywhere except in the Ashes, and for a long term player in a Big 3 side that's almost unheard of.

Actually a quick check shows he's just the most exaggerated of the Australian trio. Geez, I'm guessing Covid robbed a lot of guys of getting more than one tour to a country? Or is test cricket for Aussie just quietly becoming England and India? I thought they still got around Asia and SA.

Gob

International Coach
I think Gillespie was closer to the top of his era than Haze is to his.

What surprises me is Haze has mostly played in Aus and England. I know he's had injury issues in recent years but there was a fair while there where he was consistently fit. He's 33 and played under 5 games everywhere except in the Ashes, and for a long term player in a Big 3 side that's almost unheard of.

Actually a quick check shows he's just the most exaggerated of the Australian trio. Geez, I'm guessing Covid robbed a lot of guys of getting more than one tour to a country? Or is test cricket for Aussie just quietly becoming England and India? I thought they still got around Asia and SA.
They don't play him in the subcontinent when they need 2 spinners. Probably the right call too as Starc has more going for him on flatter wickets

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
They don't play him in the subcontinent when they need 2 spinners. Probably the right call too as Starc has more going for him on flatter wickets
If you count white ball into it, I will say Hoff is best all-format bowler.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
If we fine 00s batsmen for the flat tracks gotta uptick the 00s bowlers for the same no?
Was it because of the flatness of tracks only or because of the dearth of quality bowlers.

I can't recall the exact stats, but don't believe there was that big a gap between McGrath's 90' and 2000's performances.

The great ones break through, look at Steyn.