• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonny Bairstow apology thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was always baffled by his ability to score amazing centuries whilst never looking like a test class batsman for a long period of time. I mentioned that on here a couple of times. After his failure in the first test, I thought he should be selected but only begrudgingly as he had scored two tons in his last two series and that he'd never really amount to much overall. Thought he was better than Buttler and the other hacks England persisted with but I had planned to declare him the worst cricketers to play a 100 tests when the time came. Looks like that title is still Hooper's.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
In all seriousness I don't think I ever have ****canned YJB like others have here.......but ive never argued in his favour either, as those opinions were perfectly justified at the time.

For the last 10odd years we've had a revolving door of rank ordinary batsmen coming in and out of the test side who never looked like they would ever cut it. At least Bairstow had history as test standard and had shown he had that ceiling (same with Cook and Bell at the end.....past their best but head and shoulders over the the next cab off the rank even with diminished returns)

Slifer

International Captain
I was always baffled by his ability to score amazing centuries whilst never looking like a test class batsman for a long period of time. I mentioned that on here a couple of times. After his failure in the first test, I thought he should be selected but only begrudgingly as he had scored two tons in his last two series and that he'd never really amount to much overall. Thought he was better than Buttler and the other hacks England persisted with but I had planned to declare him the worst cricketers to play a 100 tests when the time came. Looks like that title is still Hooper's.
Objectively speaking, is Hooper really that much worse than say Mike Atherton or Harbajan Singh?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I do worry though after his success in this series and the McStokes mindset that Johnny is now of the belief that if your not scoring a hundred in 50 balls are you even playing cricket?

trundler

Objectively speaking, is Hooper really that much worse than say Mike Atherton or Harbajan Singh?
Atherton was mediocrity personified also but he gets sympathy points for opening in England against several ATG attacks.

Forgot about Harbhajan though, good point. Vettori in the mix too. The ultimate bits and pieces cricketer.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I do worry though after his success in this series and the McStokes mindset that Johnny is now of the belief that if your not scoring a hundred in 50 balls are you even playing cricket?
I’ll take a 50 ball hundred every test thanks

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Atherton was genuinely good I thought. And as trundler alluded to had to open the batting in ~75% of his innings against McGrath, Ambrose, Donald, or Wasim. Eg 4 of the best 12 quicks ever. Pollock, Walsh and Waqar no slouchs either.

There's nobody really fit for comparison to know if averaging 37 in that context is above or below par, because no opener has ever had a tougher assignment over that period of time

Look how much his Australian opening rivals Slater and Taylor, had their careers benefitted by facing english bowling attacks. Combined, 13 of their 33 test tons were scored against the old enemy

greg

International Debutant
Atherton was mediocrity personified also but he gets sympathy points for opening in England against several ATG attacks.

Forgot about Harbhajan though, good point. Vettori in the mix too. The ultimate bits and pieces cricketer.
I think only somebody who wasn’t around, or non- English (and is therefore over-reliant on overall career stats) could believe that Atherton was “mediocrity personified” IMO. He clearly had a McGrath problem, and was severely hampered in later career by degenerative back problems, but for 10 years was THE wicket the opposition valued most. And in a decade which featured some of the greatest new ball attacks in history combined with generally favourable bowling conditions.

trundler

Nah he was a limited batsman who was also badly exposed by great attacks. He had severe back problems also so credit to him for becoming a not bad cricketer. It's just the English media overrating their own and it getting stuck. Mike Gatting is another example. Just a fat blob of mediocrity who's mentioned as an eminent player.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah he was a limited batsman who was also badly exposed by great attacks. He had severe back problems also so credit to him for becoming a not bad cricketer. It's just the English media overrating their own and it getting stuck. Mike Gatting is another example. Just a fat blob of mediocrity who's mentioned as an eminent player.
This is utter drivel, I don’t think there’s been a cricketer since whos had a harder time from the English media.

Last edited: