• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonbrooks chucking Megathread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The issue is beyond Murali. Murali's career is over. It doesn't matter too much now. However, the kids learning to bowl the doosra, that's what I am concerned about.
In all seriousness, this is a very good point. ICC's fault for allowing questionable bowling for so long. How many young cricketers have perfected their skills for years to copy their heroes like Saeed Ajmal and co., thinking it was fine. Then all of a sudden, "boom", we're gonna ban everyone who chucks, and you've got a generation of bowlers who need to re-configure their whole game.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay, so read the next few lines and tell me what you think:

"So, to return to the question, why 15 degrees? The ICC's answer seems to be that up to 15 degrees, a straightening arm is invisible to the naked eye. The new rule will be aimed at the egregiously illegal bowling action, visible to the umpire's eye. Inquiries will only be initiated into actions that seem illegal to the umpires in the middle."
Ignoring the force of elbow aspect completely.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bringing in degrees confused the whole thing Harsh, not simplify it. That's where the problem came. If degrees is to be used, it has to be used with velocity. We have to be strict regarding velocity more than any thing. Let me see how many doosra bowlers are allowed then whether they bowl with 5/15/25 degrees.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Degree coupled with velocity is visible to naked eye, not just degree. Ten degree with higher velcoty would be visible as well.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Also please bowl a few deliveries medium pace, spin and doosra. See how the elbow is used. You will understand how the doosra uses extra force of the elbow while a clean medium pace or spin action doesn't. I don't know why it's so difficult to understand the throw. It's common sense more than any thing.

TheJediBrah

He's not providing proof but he is right. If you have a go at bowling a few doosras next time you're at the nets, especially if you're trying to turn them and I guarantee you will have a sore elbow if you're not used to it lol

cnerd123

likes this
They use it. However, they don't chuck it in the traditional (true) sense. They would never be called by the umpires as per the old laws.
You defined chuck as using the elbow to generate force
You now say that using the elbow to generate force isnt chucking in the traditional (true) sense

You do realise you have just contradicted yourself yes?

Define chucking in the traditional (true) sense for me. And dont refer to the old law again.

cnerd123

likes this
He's not providing proof but he is right. If you have a go at bowling a few doosras next time you're at the nets, especially if you're trying to turn them and I guarantee you will have a sore elbow if you're not used to it lol
Well yea, thats because you are doing it wrong.

Saying its hard to do, or that it is a chuck when done incorrectly, is not the same as saying it is impossible to bowl legally. You may as well say its impossible to bowl 140 kmph legally because the last time you attempted to do so you had to chuck the ball to get to that speed.

cnerd123

likes this
In all seriousness, this is a very good point. ICC's fault for allowing questionable bowling for so long. How many young cricketers have perfected their skills for years to copy their heroes like Saeed Ajmal and co., thinking it was fine. Then all of a sudden, "boom", we're gonna ban everyone who chucks, and you've got a generation of bowlers who need to re-configure their whole game.
I agree with this ftr.

I also dont like the secrecy and opaqueness over the current testing methodologies. The means the ICC uses to establish if a bowler is chucking or not should really be public domain and available to players and coaches at all levels.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You defined chuck as using the elbow to generate force
You now say that using the elbow to generate force isnt chucking in the traditional (true) sense

You do realise you have just contradicted yourself yes?

Define chucking in the traditional (true) sense for me. And dont refer to the old law again.
You are confused. I have not contradicted myself. Instead of understanding my point you are just trying to find a loophole. Don't care.

TheJediBrah

Well yea, thats because you are doing it wrong.

Saying its hard to do, or that it is a chuck when done incorrectly, is not the same as saying it is impossible to bowl legally. You may as well say its impossible to bowl 140 kmph legally because the last time you attempted to do so you had to chuck the ball to get to that speed.
yeah no that's completely wrong

you can't bowl the doosra without straightening the elbow, it's physically impossible. That's just a fact.

Whether or not it's "legal" is another matter entirely, but no, it's not because "you are doing it wrong"

cnerd123

likes this
Also please bowl a few deliveries medium pace, spin and doosra. See how the elbow is used. You will understand how the doosra uses extra force of the elbow while a clean medium pace or spin action doesn't. I don't know why it's so difficult to understand the throw. It's common sense more than any thing.
You are bowling the doosra wrong.

cnerd123

likes this
yeah no that's completely wrong

you can't bowl the doosra without straightening the elbow, it's physically impossible. That's just a fact.

Whether or not it's "legal" is another matter entirely, but no, it's not because "you are doing it wrong"
Well obv you need to straighten the elbow, as you need to do with every ball.

If your elbow is sore and not your shoulder/wrist, then you are bowling the doosra wrong. You are chucking it not bowling it. Your arm is meant to be slightly bent in order to allow you to get a wider range rotation from the shoulder; it isnt meant to straighten to release the ball.

TheJediBrah

Well obv you need to straighten the elbow, as you need to do with every ball.

If your elbow is sore and not your shoulder/wrist, then you are bowling the doosra wrong. You are chucking it not bowling it. Your arm is meant to be slightly bent in order to allow you to get a wider range rotation from the shoulder; it isnt meant to straighten to release the ball.
Ah I see what you are saying. Yeah I was exaggerating a bit regarding the sore elbow.

But an increased flexion of the elbow is ubiquitous with bowling of the doosra. It's just the physiology of the movement. It's much easier to bowl an off-break, leg-break or a medium-pace delivery with less flexion than a doosra.