• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John F Reid passes away

Flametree

International 12th Man
Met him very early in his career for Auckland - think he started as a keeper. My Dad was part of the local association and helped drive the Auckland players to and from the airport. He was one of the players in the car on the way back to the airport and showed us his bat - he'd made an 80-odd I think in the second dig, so there was plenty in the middle, but he was able to point out both marks from the two edges from his dismissals.

I was a big fan thereafter and it was great he got some success at test level. Very much a hit or miss player, he could bat a long long time against spin in particular when he was in.

Now I feel very very old.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Rip, I remember his hundred in Brisbane in 84/85, also the classic diving one-handed catch Border took in the slips to dismiss him.

Both John Reid's have died in a couple of months. Horrible week for cricket, Edrich, Jackman and now Reid.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's quite a surprise, I saw something earlier in the day about John Reid passing away and assumed it was talking about John R Reid, who died in October. John F Reid only 64. RIP

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
RIP.
I have no recollection of ever seeing him bat. He never played against England and we didn’t have much neutral cricket on TV here in those days. Not sure whether he wasn’t available for the 83 World Cup and Test series in England or just wasn’t selected.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
RIP.
I have no recollection of ever seeing him bat. He never played against England and we didn’t have much neutral cricket on TV here in those days. Not sure whether he wasn’t available for the 83 World Cup and Test series in England or just wasn’t selected.
His availability was quite sporadic. Amateur with work commitments. Didn't go on many overseas tours, retired early.

The more sceptical noted his sporadic availability meant he always missed the Windies.

I watched him bat a lot as a kid in the summer of 84/85. Against Qadir and Qasim (no Imran).

Had the quirk of his chin strap always being wonky

Last edited:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Remember him from the 1985 tour of Aussie. Solid player. He can't be that old. Took couple of books on holiday to read and fair bit of mention about this man in those books.