• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jenner: England have better spin bowling talent than Australia

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm i'm not so sure about that, Australia have 2 talented youngsters from South Australia & 1 from western australia in Cullen, Bailey in Casson comng up. While England if you discount those old county trundlers only have Panesar really, i wont read too much into Batty's performace because obviously that was a waste of a team if he could get 7 wickets..

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
aussie said:
Hmm i'm not so sure about that, Australia have 2 talented youngsters from South Australia & 1 from western australia in Cullen, Bailey in Casson comng up. While England if you discount those old county trundlers only have Panesar really, i wont read too much into Batty's performace because obviously that was a waste of a team if he could get 7 wickets..
'junior' means under-16 or so.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Granted this isn't much of an example, but I faced five different leggies in the nets at Uni last Sunday. There are plenty of leggies around, they just need the proper coaching - I didn't face him on Sunday, but we also have a leggie here who's been to Jenner's ECB Academy, possibly the same one our very own Mr Hingston went to. There doesn't seem to be a dearth of spinners to me - just a dearth of top quality spin coaching.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
I'd also very much like to find out where these junior spinners are, because they're not in East Devon - we are still very much almost all seam.
There's loads in Chelmsford - in the last matchplay, we had two seamers to open the bowling and from then on it was all spin. That said, we were one of the only sides like that.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
There's loads in Chelmsford - in the last matchplay, we had two seamers to open the bowling and from then on it was all spin. That said, we were one of the only sides like that.
Well, if you class Halsey as a spinner.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lol, guess who Terry Jenner coached for 2 days last year??

There is some good spin bowling potential, most of it seems to be in the Asian communities oop north, I noticed a few getting some nice turn with variation at the ECB academy thing.. I think the clubs up there need to be visited..

What strikes me most about English leggies, is that a lot of them have particularly nasty actions, which doesn't do you any favours, its already the hardest thing to bowl without making it harder for yourself..

It compares very favourably with the spin cupboard in South Africa, which at junior levels doesn't really exist.. very worrying..

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
What strikes me most about English leggies, is that a lot of them have particularly nasty actions, which doesn't do you any favours, its already the hardest thing to bowl without making it harder for yourself...
But if your action is too "good" then you can struggle to turn it... ie if your arm is too high.

Benaud himself has said that halfway to roundarm is about the best place to have your arm - which can look awful but means you can maintain some sort of accuracy and turn it quite a lot.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
George.Hinton said:
well my company has sent me on a work assignment to Australia and I grew up in Brooklyn.
brookyln is eastern time not central time....:)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Warney has the classical action, simplicity is the key..

From the mouth of Jenner.. How does a hop skip and a jump affect what happens in your last delivery stride, two seconds later?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SpaceMonkey said:
'junior' means under-16 or so.
oh well i'm not too sure about what either country has their, although i have seen this bloke White from Northants bowl at under-17 & 19 level.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Warney has the classical action, simplicity is the key..
Agreed, and Warne's arm is probably halfway to roundarm, may be slightly higher but not by much at all.

I've tried jogging up to the wicket, but it didn't work, and a walk-up is so simple it can't really go wrong...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Last edited:

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Good video.

Got to wonder why they're using MacGill as the sort of 'perfect' example rather than Warne though!
EDIT: And I never knew Gavin Robertson had such a high voice!
Yeah I found that strange too, probably to do with rights and sponsorship,

chris.hinton

International Captain
I am not his releation at all

Jenner is a Good coach but he only here for a Limited time thus cannot spend time with Leggies, I disagree with Pickup over his Jenner comments they is some decent talent in England with regards of Leg Spin but Jenner not here long enough he was here 2 weeks ago though in Northampton my bro want to that.

Only 200 leggies in the country get selected for trials of which 20 are good enough to go to Loughbrough Uni and Jenner selected 2-3 to go to Australia my brother has been since 2000 and got into the top 5 every time but not to Australia which is a Shame

Englands New Spin coach is Dave parson who of which has in the past told Leg spinner to bowl off spin to keep the runs down and thus wreaking a year out of there young Careers.... it worrying for England