• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasurya done..

krkode

State Captain
I just read over at cricketweb.net that Jayasurya is stepping down and Atapatu will probably take his place :wow:

Jayasurya is probably Sri Lanka's most successful captain (not considering WCs) as in 2002 he lead them to 10 consecutive victories :wow:

And overall, also he's won more matches for them as captain than anybody else, including Ranatunga..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see anyone else in the Sri Lankan team that would be capable of leading them successfully.

Jayasuriya needs to stay as captain & the board want him to stay.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the board have not accepted it...but it sounds like Jayasuria doesn't want to be captain any more, so there might be problems.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Atapattu as captain? he just doesn't look captain material for me, I thought Jayawardene was vice captain at one stage, but he's so woefully out of form it would be a very bad idea to give him the job.

Murali & Vaas really don't need the job of captaincy because they have to do enough as it is.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol he must have one of the worst batting averages in ODI's at the moment..I noticed Wisden called him an excellent fielder, but maybe they were confusing him with someone else because so far from what i've seen he's been at the other extreme of excellent.

krkode

State Captain
Well, they rejected his resignation, and he's back. Good for him and Sri Lanka :) I think...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
http://www.cricketweb.net/articles/EpulukpyEVgrheigyQ.shtml

Jayasuriya told: "Stay on"

Sri Lankan cricket, fresh from their World Cup Semi-Final defeat at the hands of champions-elect Australia, faces a fresh crisis after discord erupted between captain Sanath Jayasuriya and sports minister Johnston Fernando.

Jayasuriya, who is Sri Lanka's most successful captain after a 10-Test winning run, took over after the failure to reach the Super Six at the 1999 World Cup.

"I appreciate Sanath's freedom to send in his resignation," Fernando said. "The authorities also have the freedom to reject or accept it. Captains are picked by the selectors based on seniority, experience and capability. I have therefore refused to accept Sanath's resignation."

Marvan Atapattu was expected to take over, but this throws the whole team into disarray. Mahela Jayawardene, Chaminda Vaas and Muttiah Muralitharan had all been linked with the job.

Jayasuriya later agreed to stay on and lead the team for the Sharjah Cup against South Africa and Pakistan, but is this the best option for either him or his country?

Comment
The Sri Lankan board need to realise that an unhappy captain will lead to an unhappy side. There's no good in having the eleven best players without a team unit. Jayasuriya won't be here in 2007, so following Jayasuriya's appointment in 1999 building for 2003, maybe it's time for a new man for 2007. Let Jayasuriya concentrate on his natural game and show us some wonderful centuries, and how about Thilan Samaraweera for the captaincy?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
atapattu would have to skipper, as Quick bowlers rareley make good skippers and Murali wont tour australia, Jayawardena is young and i think that it would worsen his current run of form

also, Samaraweera should become a permmanant part of the team when Jayasuria retires, sangakkara opening with atapattu

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I see Sri Lanka have dropped Jayawardene, Arnold & Sangakarra for the Sharjah Trophy..interesting to see how they perform with what has been their middle order for the past 2 years or so.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think vaas is the man for the job in the long term, i just dont see the other guys as a captain. maybe russell arnold ???

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not so sure whether giving the captaincy to Vaas would be a good idea, he carries their pace attack & with the pressure of being captain he could lose form easily & that really creates problems.

krkode

State Captain
And bowler/allrounder captains tend to bowl themselves lesser than usual. Especially in tests.:yawn:

And the Lankans need a lot out of Vaas.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Thats a sad thing , Jayasuriya is a really succesful captain for SL and he is quite aggresive too in his thinking etc, Atapattu is not a suitable long term replacement and i doubt if he can do any good , well he really needs to stay on ( Jayasuriya )

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Whenever I've seen Attapattu captain I have been impressed, I'm surprised they haven't given him the position. He's a very calm, collected and intelligent player.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Atapattu is seen as not a good enough "communicator" to lead the side.

As for the dropping of the entire middle order, and replacing them with bowling allrounders.. that's just stupid.

Summary of Changes - Out
Kumar Sangakkara
Mahela Jayawardene
Russel Arnold
Pulasthi Gunaratne
Muttiah Muralitharan (injured)
Aravinda de Silva (retired)
In
Michael Vandort
Prasanna Jayawardene
Kaushal Lokuarachchi
Thilan Samaraweera
Kumar Dharmasena
Hasantha Fernando

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
I think you've been watching Nasser Hussain captain too much!
Well it has to beat watching the NZ captain deliberately try and make his side loose ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Take your mind back to the tour of Australia...a negative tactic creating a positive result...but it can't have been fun to watch.