• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Hopeless

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Batting at 8, he is clearly there more for his bowling than his batting. And he is doing that job admirably.
Last time I checked he was meant to be an all rounder and some retards think he meant to be good enough to open. Needs to learn how to bat one day, as there is better front line bowlers and by a fair margin.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last time I checked he was meant to be an all rounder and some retards think he meant to be good enough to open. Needs to learn how to bat one day, as there is better front line bowlers and by a fair margin.
To be fair his batting is far better than most people give credit for.

He has 2 ODD and 5 first class centuries to his name. He certainly can hold a bat. He has proven most effective in ODD cricket as an opener. For a while a year or two back he was probably regarded as a better batsman than bowler.

Still, his bowling at the moment is at least as good as anyone else in the Australian bowling lineup. He'd likely be 12th man in a fully fit Australian side, but that's nothing to be ashamed of.

10 wickets at 31 with an economy of 4.14 and a 45 strike rate is not exactly McGrath like, but is quite a decent return this summer.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fully fit Australian ODI XI.

1. Shaun Marsh
2. Shane Watson
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Andrew Symonds
6. Michael Hussey
7. Brad Haddin
8. James Hopes
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Brett Lee
11. Nathan Bracken

That is currently what it would be. When Watson is injured, I think Hopes should be promoted to open and Shaun Tait slotted into the team, having 3 genuine quicks (Tait, Johnson and Lee) with 2 bowlers who change up the pace (Bracken and Hopes) with Clarke and Symonds providing the spin if needed, that's a good team, but when Watson is fit, he has to be there.
I agree that this is what the selectors would pick.

Hopes would arguably be dropped for Tait for some matches though.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i haven't seen him played that much.. just wondering how is he compared to Azhar Mahmood and Abdul Razzq?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i haven't seen him played that much.. just wondering how is he compared to Azhar Mahmood and Abdul Razzq?
I would say each of the others were better wicket taking bowlers, and Razzaq a better batsman, but Hopes is more solid - couldn't see him throwing wood like Razzaq sometimes did but he's pretty good at batting time.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I rate Hopes as a one-day bowler, but he seems to be little more than a bits-and-pieces player at international level.

Julian87

State Captain
How the hell does morgieb know so much about different forums? It's always creeped me out a bit.

eglezdzdiyd

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would say each of the others were better wicket taking bowlers, and Razzaq a better batsman, but Hopes is more solid - couldn't see him throwing wood like Razzaq sometimes did but he's pretty good at batting time.
Gives wood though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James Hopes, to me, is a bit like Brad Hogg. I've never rated him, nor did I ever rate Hogg, as ODI-standard bowlers. Yet Hogg (to a fair extent due to often bowling after the likes of McGrath and Gillespie had wrecked the top-order) continued to do well over a lengthy career, and just as it looked like the bubble had finally burst, type was reverted to. This happened at least twice with Hogg.

While Hopes continues to do the job for Australia in ODIs - and he's done a pretty good job since his 2007/08 recall - he should stay in the side, and anyone who suggests to drop him in favour of the likes of Nathan Hauritz or Ben Hilfenhaus is making a very poor move indeed.