• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson not going to play?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
From reports I've heard, he's flown back to England to attend one of his grandparents' funeral.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Here Here. I think James Anderson's a breath of fresh air and has been the find of the tour so far for England. He reminds me a lot of Jason Gillespie and I think he could develop into a great bowler. When Jones's back and Gough, I think Anderson should be in in front of Caddick. Here's my toast to a great young bowler.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
With all the travelling and emotional upheaval I think it would be wrong to play him this week, maybe tell him he's very much in consideration for the 5th Test?

As for find of the tour, there's also Harmison, who has impressed me greatly.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah he looked great in the games hes played so far, maybe he can make succeed where Caddick, Harmison and hoggard have failed

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
With all the travelling and emotional upheaval I think it would be wrong to play him this week, maybe tell him he's very much in consideration for the 5th Test?

He was never going to play in the 4th Test anyway, his already on his way home from what i've heard... Also I heard he will stay in England for a little while and return to Australia after the 5th Test, and play in the final VB matches only.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
He's certainly done no worse than Bond did...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
How about Nick Knight???

I mean he has been one of the best in the VB Series, is he a chance of test selection???

Kimbo

International Debutant
Rik said:
Yeah, we will see. We will see who bowler of the series is.
According to cricinfo harmison hasnt bowled against Australia. I didnt realise this. He has done well against Sri Lanka- but Aussie will be the true test.
By the way, in the VB series last season Bond took 21 wickets at an average of 16.38.
Harmison will have to do very well to not do any worse than Bond!

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
:O :O He only played against SRL. Everybody knows SRL are poor away. Even Indian bowlers bowled well against them in ENG. Also Harmison hasn't done anything great to be compared to Bond. 2-39 (10) and 3-45 of around 9 overs which is good but not great.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vishnureddy said:
:O :O He only played against SRL. Everybody knows SRL are poor away. Even Indian bowlers bowled well against them in ENG. Also Harmison hasn't done anything great to be compared to Bond. 2-39 (10) and 3-45 of around 9 overs which is good but not great.
Considering he's very inexperienced in One Day Cricket, those 2 efforts are very good, and I think he's growing in confidence now from getting used to International Cricket.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm not sure why everyone is writing off Matthew Hoggard. He has one bad series and everyone thinks he's crap.

When he was out in New Zealand earlier this year he was England's best bowler and bowled superbly. Commentary team and supporters were really talking him up.

He’ll come back better than ever I reckon.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Gregory Blewett said:
How about Nick Knight???

I mean he has been one of the best in the VB Series, is he a chance of test selection???
Knight has been pigeon-holed as an ODI player only, probably unfairly. He had his test chances when England were failing so only averages 24.

No matter how many 200s he hits in the CC, I'd be very surprised to see him play Tests again. Besides, where would he bat?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Sunil Havascar said:
Yeah, we will see. We will see who bowler of the series is.
According to cricinfo harmison hasnt bowled against Australia. I didnt realise this. He has done well against Sri Lanka- but Aussie will be the true test.
By the way, in the VB series last season Bond took 21 wickets at an average of 16.38.
Harmison will have to do very well to not do any worse than Bond!
Calm down! Calm down! I was talking about the Tests as this thread was about Anderson not playing in the Test. Bond bowled well over here in his 1st Test but his figures were not that impressive, Harmison's done basically the same, impressive but not much to show for it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Knight has been pigeon-holed as an ODI player only, probably unfairly. He had his test chances when England were failing so only averages 24.

No matter how many 200s he hits in the CC, I'd be very surprised to see him play Tests again. Besides, where would he bat?
It's also the fact that he's had so many chances and not done anything! He played last year in the last Test against Pakistan and was dreadful with the bat and dropped a load of catches. There are many other deserving players, and unless Knight follows up last season with another biggy then I doubt he's even got a slight chance.