• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jack Leach

Bijed

International Regular
This will quite possibly seem like a reactionary thread to his getting hammered around in the Brisbane test and it's really not meant to be. It's more that I've had a bit of an impression for a while that he seems an easy bowler to target/attack, with even pretty mediocre players such as Matthew Wade having laid into him on occasion. Yet despite this, his record is far from awful, in fact, even with the mauling he's currently receiving it's pretty decent, and it's not like he's padded it against weak opposition

I was really just wondering if anyone shared this opinion and if so, if anyone with a good grasp of spin bowling has any theories as to why this might be the case. Is he too one-dimensional? Not enough revs on the ball to put doubt in the batsman's minds if they want to attack?

I might be overstating things, as it's a thought that occured to me a fair while ago and it could easily just be a case of confirmation bias since then. Just wondered what others' thoughts were

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
I only saw the highlights from yesterday, but Leach didn't seem to bowl any rank bad balls. If anything, the short ball that Labuschagne got out to was the worst. Don't think he spins it as much as Moeen Ali or Graeme Swann, but probably more than Ashley Giles. So, yes, I guess the Aussie batsmen backed themselves to attack him and he didn't have an answer on a pitch that wasn't really turning.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's a finger spinner and a nerd

Didn't bowl badly at all, they just decided he needed to go and if it's not a spinners wicket and good batsmen want to go you you're ****ed. Same thing would happen to Lyon

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
He doesn't appear to be able to bowl a containing style - a little flatter and a tight line. I've watched spinners in the past who, when faced with unresponsive conditions, have been able to tie up an end with an almost negative modus operandi. This doesn't seem to be in Leach's DNA.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I only saw the highlights from yesterday, but Leach didn't seem to bowl any rank bad balls. If anything, the short ball that Labuschagne got out to was the worst. Don't think he spins it as much as Moeen Ali or Graeme Swann, but probably more than Ashley Giles. So, yes, I guess the Aussie batsmen backed themselves to attack him and he didn't have an answer on a pitch that wasn't really turning.
for an orthodox finger spinner, swann was an absolute freak for the amount of revs he put on the ball.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Only thing wrong with Leach is that he is one-dimensional. He should be able to bowl absolute darts on unhelpful wickets or at least till the ball starts turning, he simple lacks that. Also, teams shouldn't go with a spinner just for the heck of it, this deck is simply not suited for Leach(or most spinners).

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's a finger spinner and a nerd

Didn't bowl badly at all, they just decided he needed to go and if it's not a spinners wicket and good batsmen want to go you you're ****ed. Same thing would happen to Lyon
Would it happen to Murali?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
(a) He doesn't play often enough to develop match-confidence.
(b) He's come up against ppl like Pant and Head willing to look foolish in their pursuit of dominance.

I didn't watch him here but he recovered admirably after the mauling from Pant earlier this year. These pitches obviously won't help him as much as the ones in India but he has a few things going for him and can do a job if the captain shows some faith.

Edit: Looks like he copped a beating at the Gabba long before Head came in.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Leach is good. I just think Silverwood is a poor coach for spinners. They have psyched themselves out about this Ashes, talking about before every test and series for 2 years and they have arrived with exactly the same issues as they had last time. :laugh:

I definitely think Leach has good talent and should play as many tests for England as possible given their other spinners. But they kept talking about preparing for Australia, then kept playing a battery of right arm fast medium (with the odd Sam Curran thrown in) and now they are out there in Australia realizing you need more than that to play Australia in Australia.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's fair to say he's a good but quite one-dimensional bowler. He has an excellent stock ball but it's bowled at more or less the same pace and trajectory every ball

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Leach is good. I just think Silverwood is a poor coach for spinners. They have psyched themselves out about this Ashes, talking about before every test and series for 2 years and they have arrived with exactly the same issues as they had last time. :laugh:

I definitely think Leach has good talent and should play as many tests for England as possible given their other spinners. But they kept talking about preparing for Australia, then kept playing a battery of right arm fast medium (with the odd Sam Curran thrown in) and now they are out there in Australia realizing you need more than that to play Australia in Australia.
Bit harsh to blame Silverwood for this, not that I'm his biggest fan.

Our two other reasonable variety options would have both travelled, but they're crocked. Robinson has been a find, even though not many would have said he'd be a favourite for Australian conditions at the start of the year. Can't think of any left-armers that would do a better job than the group who are out there.

Leach is the only reasonable spin option right now, but isn't suited to Australia tstl. Not too sure what other coaching could have changed this fact.

We're still a limited team whose batting is the real issue.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bit harsh to blame Silverwood for this, not that I'm his biggest fan.

Our two other reasonable variety options would have both travelled, but they're crocked. Robinson has been a find, even though not many would have said he'd be a favourite for Australian conditions at the start of the year. Can't think of any left-armers that would do a better job than the group who are out there.

Leach is the only reasonable spin option right now, but isn't suited to Australia tstl. Not too sure what other coaching could have changed this fact.

We're still a limited team whose batting is the real issue.
Fair enough. I only follow them off and on or when they are playing against India but I may have overlooked some details for sure.