• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Warne better than Muralitharan?

anton

Cricket Spectator
I think it's not about who is better and who isn't.. They both should be damn good to have almost 500 victims under their name, isn't it? It's about the circumstances from where they come from. Warne comes from a rich country with adequate resources while Murali is just uncomparable to Warne in that sense.
If Murali would have had the same background as Warne I think Murali would have beaten Warne by a considerable margin..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali is perhaps fortunate because if he had grown up in Australia he would have been coached and would have a different action. In Sri Lanka he was given some coaching but didn't have the coaching manual thrown at him all the time about how to play.

Legglancer

State Regular
Murali upstages the return of the
king

Murali's torment of Aussie batsmen overshadows
Warne's return

David Hopps in Galle
Tuesday March 9, 2004
The Guardian

As his career has progressed, Shane
Warne has taken his wickets with an
increasing number of straight balls. No
matter: yesterday the finest leg-spinner
the world has known summoned what
he will regard as the greatest, most
life-affirming straight ball of his life.

A two-year drugs ban would probably
have destroyed Warne's career, through
a combination of stiffening body and
softening mind. Its reduction, on appeal,
to one year offered him the chance of
survival. The wicket of Sanath
Jayasuriya as the heat began to fall out
of a blistering south-coast day was a
piece of driftwood for him to cling to.

Muttiah Muralitharan, his great rival in the race to become the
first spin bowler to take 500 Test wickets, had turned the ball
sharply from the outset on Jayanda Warnaweera's spin-doctored
pitch as his six wickets bundled out Australia for 220 and
sharpened Sri Lanka's hopes of going one up in the series.

Warne has so far promised to turn over a new leaf, but nothing
much else. But Jayasuriya's wicket, leg-before as he tried to
sweep in the bowler's fourth
over, brought Australia their
only consolation. Warne
enters the second day with
492 Test victims. Murali
now has 491, and all the
impetus rests with the Sri
Lankan.

Every ball that Warne
bowls is laced with
kidology. The weight of
history insists it will turn
one way, the devilry of a
cricketing prankster insists
that it must turn the other, and instead his devilish collection of
toppies, zooters, sliders, flippers and imagined mystery balls
keep his career alive. The one that did for Jayasuriya yesterday
was called the godsend.

The generous applause, from Sri Lankans and Australians alike,
that greeted his entrance into the attack will have heartened
him. Darren Lehmann, whose 63 prevented Australian calamity,
imagined that he had recognised the Warne of old. "Standing at
bat-pad, it just seemed that he was back to his best," he said.
"It was great to see." Except, of course, that standing at bat-pad
he couldn't actually see it.

Another sound Australian judge, the former fast bowler Geoff
Lawson, reckoned that Warne's rhythm was still lacking and his
delivery stride remained restricted. Lawson's guarded judgment
did seem nearer the mark.

For Australia, dominating batting in Test cricket has become an
article of faith - it is they who have quickened the rate of scoring
in Test cricket virtually single-handedly.

But yesterday the story was one of Murali's supremacy. His six
for 59 was his best return against Australia. On average, he
would have needed about 45 overs to register that against
England; yesterday it took half the time, which freed us all from
an awful lot of defensive pushes.

Sri Lanka fielded only one seam bowler, Chaminda Vaas, whose
12 overs leaked 39 and gave Matthew Hayden a flyer. But more
relevance came in the other new-ball bowler, the off-spinner
Kumar Dharmasena. Justin Langer fell to him, cutting, and Upul
Chandana's leg-spin had Ricky Ponting stumped in an
unrewarding beginning to his reign as Australia's Test captain.
Murali took only one top-order wicket - that of Hayden, who
swept him to deep square leg.

At 148 for three in mid-afternoon Australia looked reasonably
secure, as Lehmann cudgelled Murali straight for six and
Damien Martyn squirted leg-side singles with ease. But Martyn
lapped Dharmasena weakly to leg slip and Australia's last six
wickets tumbled for 72. Murali silenced the two rapid scorers in
the middle order, having Andrew Symonds caught bat-pad at slip
for a duck and snaring Adam Gilchrist as he swept to backward
square.

Warne daubed on the sun cream to hit 23, but Murali wrapped
things up by bowling Lehmann behind his legs with the wrong
'un and dismissing Michael Kasprowicz and Stuart MacGill with
successive balls.

For Warne to stage a Test comeback so soon is achievement
enough. For him to upstage Murali not only here, but in Kandy
and Colombo to follow, would rank as a minor miracle.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Thelwell said:

Murali will always be known for being a suspected 'chucker' but Warne will always be remembered for the way he bowled Mike Gatting in his first ashes match.
Warne will always be known as the cheat who took performance enhancing drugs and got banned for a year:!(

I also want to say that the way murali got bevan out in the 4th odi (i think) was one of the most intelligent pieces of spin bowling I have ever seen. It was a master tactician at work. He set him up with two off spinners, the second of which bevan hit unconvincingly to point (or did he edge) and then with the third ball, he bowled a leg break with no apparent change of action. It looked like he was bowling his normal delivery. The ball bounced a bit more and rushed onto bevan who edged it to slip. Magnificent.

If I had to pick one of the two guys, I'd go with Murali anyday.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
Murali is perhaps fortunate because if he had grown up in Australia he would have been coached and would have a different action. In Sri Lanka he was given some coaching but didn't have the coaching manual thrown at him all the time about how to play.
I agree with you. I have seen quite a few bowlers with Murali type action in India but they weren't allowed to bowl

Eclipse

International Debutant
quytst0rm said:
Thats a bad thing because what the use of him taking Nehra's wicket game after game but doesn't seem to trouble Tendulkar or Dravid.
Well not Dravid Warne has taken Dravid's wicket more than any bowler in International cricket beleive it or not.

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ReallyCrazy said:
Warne will always be known as the cheat who took performance enhancing drugs and got banned for a year:!(

I also want to say that the way murali got bevan out in the 4th odi (i think) was one of the most intelligent pieces of spin bowling I have ever seen. It was a master tactician at work. He set him up with two off spinners, the second of which bevan hit unconvincingly to point (or did he edge) and then with the third ball, he bowled a leg break with no apparent change of action. It looked like he was bowling his normal delivery. The ball bounced a bit more and rushed onto bevan who edged it to slip. Magnificent.

If I had to pick one of the two guys, I'd go with Murali anyday.
i have to agree with this, but i also agree that Warne is an exceptional bowler drug cheat or not!

and reallycrazy.....why is it that you think Ganguly is so great!!!????:O

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
the topic of Murali as a whole will just be debated on and on probably even long after the poor bugger carks it:)

and i'm suprised Kenny hasn't posted anything in here yet!!!!:P

and keep in mind with this whole race to 500 wickets, that Warne has been playing test cricket longer than Murali has by a decent margin. So the fact that Murali is actually giving a fight to Warne on who gets to 500 first goes to show that Murali is a damn good bowler who takes wickets at a frequent rate!:)

Eclipse

International Debutant
Personaly I think they are equal.

In genral terms and in most matches I think Murili is slightly better but Warne is just amazing at pulling out big match performances ie. The 1999 WC semi final and Final.

The amount of time's Australia have seemed certain to be defeated and Warne has managed to pick up one or two absolutly vital wickets that can turn the match.

When ever Warne is bowling I allways feel we have a chance and the tougher the situation the better he performes usualy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ReallyCrazy said:
No, he didn't take performance enhancing drugs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
what kind of question is this thread???
It's one that most of the more mature members of the forum are debating, rather than making stupid comments in :rolleyes:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Cactus said:
the topic of Murali as a whole will just be debated on and on probably even long after the poor bugger carks it:)

and keep in mind with this whole race to 500 wickets, that Warne has been playing test cricket longer than Murali has by a decent margin. So the fact that Murali is actually giving a fight to Warne on who gets to 500 first goes to show that Murali is a damn good bowler who takes wickets at a frequent rate!:)
There have been two things on this recent tour that have convinced me that unfortuately that Murali's record is inflated. he has taken over 315 of his wickets in Sri Lanka at an average of 20 (his overseas record is @27-28) and that wickets have been prepared to help assist him. He is a brilliant bowler but has a big hometown advantage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cactus said:

Warne has missed far more cricket than Murali, remember. Finger and shoulder operations, one-year ban.
Murali has sometimes had to play when he'd do best to have not.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1/ 2.7 per over is not smashed.
2/ Only a fool judges on one match, let alone a fraction of an innings.