• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is this a record partnership?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Sometimes these things weren't recorded in those days.

That's funny.

On more than one occasion I've used that line saying that I don't believe reports of games of yesteryear concentrated so much on dropped catches as they preferred to report on good things, and you said that it wasn't true.

Now you're using it...

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Swervy said:
Do you have good hard statistical data to back up such as claim?
Of course he does. Why should he share it? Do your own careful research before insinuating that he makes it up.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In a minute we'll have Halsey and Armadillo in here having a childish playground tittle tattle and then it'll be a complete thread!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
That's funny.

On more than one occasion I've used that line saying that I don't believe reports of games of yesteryear concentrated so much on dropped catches as they preferred to report on good things, and you said that it wasn't true.

Now you're using it...
What I was saying was things like sources, authors etc. weren't recorded in those days.
You have once again simply attempted to twist words. That comment did not even come close to meaning "cricket matters weren't recorded in those days".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
so your sources are generally based on anecdotal evidence of games say 30, 40, 50 years ago.....could they not be open to exaggeration as well (with reference to your comment that people exaggerate the past, from about a week or so back).

Do you have good hard statistical data to back up such as claim?
No, I haven't bothered to count the number of dropped catches I've heard have happened. Nor have I attempted to find a report on every innings played in order to find the first-chance average of a certain batsman.
I never said it was purely people of the past who are given to exaggeration, meanwhile. If you look you'll see that I gave an example of myself exaggerating something I was watching. Some people say things that are patently not true all the time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
What I was saying was things like sources, authors etc. weren't recorded in those days.
You have once again simply attempted to twist words.
Acutally, it was a misinterpretation of your post, not a wilful twisting of what you said.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, a truly genuine misinterpretation - you have admitted before that occasionally you don't get what you mean exactly down there (not that you're alone in that by a long chalk)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Occasionally?
Here's one such occasion:
Maybe - still, a very convenient one. :P
I didn't mean I still genuinely suspected you of trying to twist my words - just that it mirrored a situation that's happened before. :)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
Depends on when the dropped catch was as to how well they played.
Like it or not, but for it some part of the innings would not have happened.
Just noticed this thread.

Richard, big innings are very rarely faultless.