• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the Hussey magic over?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's an inevitable part of batting at no. 6, really. When your side is batting well, then at times you're going to have a trot where you're required to throw the bat at everything in the late stages. Hussey was to an extente fortunate to get so many not outs in that situation earlier in his career (also obviously down to his skill in performing that role, too), and now he's having one of those little trots.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey, if he has a long career ( ie, approaching 100 tests and 200+ ODIs), i would predict him ending up as a between 45-50 averaging test batsman and 35-40 averaging ODI batsman.
Hahaha. Have you actually watched him bat or anything?

Obviously he's not going to average 80 in both forms for his whole career, but Hussey's a remarkable batsman. He's not going to average under 40 in ODIs.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussey, if he has a long career ( ie, approaching 100 tests and 200+ ODIs), i would predict him ending up as a between 45-50 averaging test batsman and 35-40 averaging ODI batsman.
I think he'd average around 50 in both forms.

Purely and simply, this had to happen sometime.

I'm glad it may be, TBH - I didn't really want a Bradman-the-2nd-coming, nor did I want Hussey to supersede Bevan.
Barring injury I believe he will supersede Bevan. MB did it over an extended period of time though so only time will tell really.

C_C

International Captain
Hahaha. Have you actually watched him bat or anything?

Obviously he's not going to average 80 in both forms for his whole career, but Hussey's a remarkable batsman. He's not going to average under 40 in ODIs.
Yes i've watched him bat and he is a remarkable batsman. Just that 40+ happens to be the domain of GREAT ODI batsmen - the Laras, Tendulkars, Pontings,Gangulys, Inzamams of the world and Hussey is not THAT good. He had an amazing start but i think if he has a long career,he'd end up statistically in a tier just below the top bracket (ie, 45-50 in tests, 35-40 in ODIs). And i think that is a fair call because despite the kind of numbers Hussey's posted, i dont think he's done enough to say he'd likely end up in the alltime great zone.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yes i've watched him bat and he is a remarkable batsman. Just that 40+ happens to be the domain of GREAT ODI batsmen - the Laras, Tendulkars, Pontings,Gangulys, Inzamams of the world and Hussey is not THAT good. He had an amazing start but i think if he has a long career,he'd end up statistically in a tier just below the top bracket (ie, 45-50 in tests, 35-40 in ODIs). And i think that is a fair call because despite the kind of numbers Hussey's posted, i dont think he's done enough to say he'd likely end up in the alltime great zone.
Eh, you're welcome to your opinion I suppose. I doubt you'd find too many people who agree with you though. Nobody other than Bevan and Kluesener has matched Hussey's effectiveness as a finisher up to this point in his career, and he's probably the most adaptable ODI batsman I've ever seen, including Bevan, given his ability to hit out at the end of an innings.

He's still got some things to do obviously, including simply maintaining his success for a longer period of time, but it'd take a stunning turnaround for him to average under 40.

He probably hasn't played enough test cricket to judge properly yet. It'd be sensible to wait until after he tours the subcontinent next year.

edit: I should add though, that I think he'll be a fantastic test player as well. He's got an amazing temprament and a solid if unorthodox technique, and can bat in virtually any situation. Hasn't really been tested against spin yet, that's all.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think anyone can say that Hussey is finished, we all knew that his great form wasn't going to continue forever. I can see him averaging around 50 in both forms of the game, but I doubt he'll ever be considered a test great. The status as an ODI great would be easier to attain and I think he'll go down alongside Bevan as the best finisher in ODI cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has KP overtaken him in terms of ODI average now?

Great player Hussey, but he is human after all. These things happen to every player, but I am positively sure he will go through an immense run of form again before long.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Has KP overtaken him in terms of ODI average now?

Great player Hussey, but he is human after all. These things happen to every player, but I am positively sure he will go through an immense run of form again before long.
No Mike is still ahead.

However, I must say talk about jumping the gun. My only concern with Hussey is when he fails when Australia really need him the most, not coming in to put the sword into sides which have already conceded either 250 or 300 runs.

Rather off topic but...
What's the chances of Mike getting an opening birth if either Hayden or Gilchrist call it a day? Would be a better choice than either a Brad Haddin or Phil Jaques IMO. That will then allow Watson to move up the order and Haddin could bat seven.

pup11

International Coach
Does anyone agree that Hussey struggels on slow tracks, i think he just can't get his timing right on such tracks,WI game was a perfect example where he played on one ball onto his stumps.

One thing is for sure he is a tough nut and i expect him to be at his best for more important games like semis and finals.

irfan

State Captain
Does anyone agree that Hussey struggels on slow tracks, i think he just can't get his timing right on such tracks,WI game was a perfect example where he played on one ball onto his stumps.

One thing is for sure he is a tough nut and i expect him to be at his best for more important games like semis and finals.
Good observation. Most of the times when he is dismissed he either drags the ball back on or plays an errant cross batted shot. Which probably indicates indifferent timing on a sluggish track. Hardly ever nicks the ball in ODI cricket which is quite amazing (Maybe once against Flintoff IIRC).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Probably the best innings Hussey has played in an ODI was on that two-paced seamer at Lords in the '05 NWS final.

He does tend to get out mistiming the ball on slower wickets, but it is worth remembering when he comes in. As good as Hussey is, it's much easier playing on a slow wicket when you can set yourself for a few overs and try and pick up the pace of it, rather than swinging from ball one. Given his temprament and shot selection, I'm sure Hussey could play on a slow pitch as well as anyone if he had longer at the crease, but he doesn't always.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Well he did fail in the Champions Trophy and he faced slow wickets there too so there might be something to the theory.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Its nice to see that you consider Matthew Hayden a great ODI batsman (career avg 43.23) contrary to what you said in the other thread about him.:laugh:

C_C

International Captain
Its nice to see that you consider Matthew Hayden a great ODI batsman (career avg 43.23) contrary to what you said in the other thread about him.:laugh:
Yet another Aussie putting words in my mouth.
Geez.
Has Hayden had a 'long' career ?

C_C

International Captain
I wouldn't exactly call 138 matches particulary short. And please show me where I edited your quote.
what is it with you people.
So now saying 'putting words into my mouth' = tampering with quotes ?
It means you are implying something and liking it to me when i clearly did not.

138 matches in the day and age of 25-30 matches/year is not much really.
In anycase, by a long career, i mean 200-250 ODIs.